View Poll Results: Is atheism a religion

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 16.31%
  • No

    118 83.69%
Page 95 of 97 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697 LastLast
Results 941 to 950 of 963

Thread: Is atheism a religion[W:711:831]

  1. #941
    Educator Grendel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-02-13 @ 01:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    704

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by cabse5 View Post
    If public schools are going to present one theory on how the universe was created, schools should present both theories. Who's proven creationism? Who's proven the big-bang-theory?
    Yeah, never mind. If you think these two are equivalents, then there's no point in arguing it.
    "All that stuff I was taught about evolution, embryology, Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell [the bible] teaches us how to run all our public policy and everything in society." Rep. Paul Broun (R)

  2. #942
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,013

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by cabse5 View Post
    If public schools are going to present one theory on how the universe was created, public schools should present both theories. Who's proven creationism? Who's proven the big-bang-theory?
    The difference is that it's known that the universe radiated out from a single point, while there is no basis whatsoever for any religious story of Creation (that I've heard). But if you want Creationism taught in theology classes I don't think you're going to find any atheists who'll disagree with that.

  3. #943
    Educator Starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-01-17 @ 11:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    881

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by cabse5 View Post
    Why don't you read some of the quotes of James Madison? The driver of the definition of religion in gov't?
    This is a plain text amendment. . . I don't believe that it takes a lot of interpretation from anyone.

    Either way, the link didn't work.

  4. #944
    Guru

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,498

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    The difference is that it's known that the universe radiated out from a single point, while there is no basis whatsoever for any religious story of Creation (that I've heard). But if you want Creationism taught in theology classes I don't think you're going to find any atheists who'll disagreewitzerland. with that.
    OK, what is dark energy (supposedly the infinitesimally small amount of energy that was created when the universe was created) and what is its value? Physicists don't even know that answer. That's one reason why the Super Hadron Collider was built in Switzerland. That's a major part of the explanation of the big-bang theory. How was that infintesimally small amout of dark energy created? Physicists don't know that either. They suspect an unimaginable amount of energy... e=mc2 = m = e/c2 where c = the speed of light.That's also a major player in explaining the big-bang theory.

    BTW, have you ever pondered this:
    That the big-bang theory is a 'micro' explanation of how the universe was created?
    That God creating the universe is a 'macro' explanation of how the universe was created?

    Just like, for example, micro - Blood flows to tissues. The brain sends signals to the leg.
    Compared to: macro - A person moves.
    Last edited by cabse5; 08-31-13 at 01:26 PM.

  5. #945
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,013

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by cabse5 View Post
    OK, what is dark energy (supposedly the infinitesimally small amount of energy that was created when the universe was created) and what is its value? Physicists don't even know that answer. That's one reason why the Super Hadron Collider was built in Switzerland. That's a major part of the explanation of the big-bang theory. How was that infintesimally small amout of dark energy created? Physicists don't know that either. They suspect an unimaginable amount of energy... e=mc2 = m = e/c2 where c = the speed of light.That's also a major player in explaining the big-bang theory.

    BTW, have you ever pondered this:
    That the big-bang theory is a 'micro' explanation of how the universe was created?
    That God creating the universe is a 'macro' explanation of how the universe was created?

    Just like, for example, micro - Blood flow to tissues. The brain sends signals to the leg.
    Compared to: macro - A person moves.
    I take it you're a fan of the God of the Gaps then?

  6. #946
    Guru

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,498

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    This is a plain text amendment. . . I don't believe that it takes a lot of interpretation from anyone.

    Either way, the link didn't work.
    I apologize, I used the wrong link. Try again, I fixed it.

  7. #947
    Guru

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,498

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I take it you're a fan of the God of the Gaps then?
    I take it you're a fan of no God?

    I believe in facts. In the creation of the universe, there are no facts, yet, so ideologies jump right in.

  8. #948
    Educator Starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-01-17 @ 11:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    881

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by cabse5 View Post
    I apologize, I used the wrong link. Try again, I fixed it.
    The new link worked, thanks.

    When reading those quotes, I didn't find any justification for anything but a complete absence of religious ideology from governmental affairs.

  9. #949
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,013

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by cabse5 View Post
    I take it you're a fan of no God?

    I believe in facts. In the creation of the universe, there are no facts, yet, so ideologies jump right in.
    Have you not heard of the "God of the Gaps"? That's the phenomenon where in a theological debate on the existence of God a religious person will respond to what is known with what is not known. This inherently weakens the religious person's position because they're actively implying that if science resolves enough questions there will be no place left for God to exist.

  10. #950
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,497

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by cabse5 View Post
    How does atheism impact our society more than religion? How about public schools? Every, in some instances, crackpot ideology (non-proven fact) is spouted off by teachers in public schools to students. But religion is not mentioned, if only to ridicule it.

    Religion is not allowed in American gov't but every other (in some instances,crackpot) ideology is allowed.
    I disagree in a number of ways but on cell. In Texas public school teach classes on the bible and claim it to be a historical book. I'll have to find time on my home computer to reply with the ways religion trumps atheism in every respect of our social environment.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •