View Poll Results: Is atheism a religion

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 16.31%
  • No

    118 83.69%
Page 93 of 97 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495 ... LastLast
Results 921 to 930 of 963

Thread: Is atheism a religion[W:711:831]

  1. #921
    Educator Starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-01-17 @ 11:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    881

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    Because they do. Some simply aren't self aware enough to realize it...
    I believe in nothing, but I imagine you could call that a belief system.

  2. #922
    Educator Grendel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-02-13 @ 01:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    704

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Oh no, they don't want the government in their churches but they sure do want their churches in the government!
    But there's no difference. When one group controls both government and religion, it doesn't matter if you call them Senator or Reverend. Either way, it's the government in the church, not the other way around. The church just becomes a propaganda tool for the government -- which, I suspect, is why the GOP is so hot for it.
    "All that stuff I was taught about evolution, embryology, Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell [the bible] teaches us how to run all our public policy and everything in society." Rep. Paul Broun (R)

  3. #923
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,774

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
    But there's no difference. When one group controls both government and religion, it doesn't matter if you call them Senator or Reverend. Either way, it's the government in the church, not the other way around. The church just becomes a propaganda tool for the government -- which, I suspect, is why the GOP is so hot for it.
    Actually, they want the government to be a propaganda tool for religion, pushing their religious agenda on everyone whether they like it or not. They don't want the government to tell the church what to do, they want the church to tell the government what to do. It's not the same thing at all.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  4. #924
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,127

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    I believe in nothing, but I imagine you could call that a belief system.
    Yes. You're catching on marvelously...good show!

  5. #925
    Educator Grendel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-02-13 @ 01:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    704

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Actually, they want the government to be a propaganda tool for religion, pushing their religious agenda on everyone whether they like it or not. They don't want the government to tell the church what to do, they want the church to tell the government what to do. It's not the same thing at all.
    That's what they want, and what they think they would get, but it's not what they would get at all. It would be a struggle for power. Two groups each wanting to be the dominant force in the arrangement. When they're co-mingled into one entity, one side or the other will run the show. It won't be any pious pastor. All that would happen is that the massive forces behind Washington corruption would be diverted into churches, and the churches wouldn't be able to resist the corruption any better than the Congress can. You'd just end up with preachers promoting the government's policy as being the policy of God, which is an extremely powerful tool for governments to have. They may think they would get something else, but they wouldn't. They would just get a church that's exactly as corrupt as Congress is, because they would effectively be the same thing.

    Right now Senators decide what the Government will do, so irresistible forces of corruption guide the Senate. Make it preachers, and the same thing would happen. It would just end up making church a weekly propaganda session for the same parties that now control Congress.
    "All that stuff I was taught about evolution, embryology, Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell [the bible] teaches us how to run all our public policy and everything in society." Rep. Paul Broun (R)

  6. #926
    Educator Starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-01-17 @ 11:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    881

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    On the contrary, I only say that because the norm for society is to have a belief system.

    Honestly, It's not that I don't believe in any higher-power. . . so much as that I simply lack belief. Think of it like a bowl of french fries. . . just because there is no meat does not make it vegetarian. It's simply a bowl of fries.

  7. #927
    Guru

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,498

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
    So you reiterate your point then say we're off topic?

    Well, either topic, that atheism is a religion and that the 1st Amendment allows for religious government have both been debunked to death, as has a variety of tertiary topics, such as the disinformed idea that there is wide spread religious persecution in the United States.
    I've never agreed with the bold. Atheism isn't a religion. Atheism is an ideology. And because of the, IMO, bastardized meaning of separation of church and state - that gov't should be devoid of religion, religion is the ONLY ideology not allowed in American gov't.

  8. #928
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,033

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by cabse5 View Post
    I've never agreed with the bold. Atheism isn't a religion. Atheism is an ideology.
    Atheism isn't even that, though it can certainly lead to an ideology, as some atheists do in fact go on to become actively political in their atheism.

  9. #929
    Guru

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,498

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Where and when was the definition of separation of church and state changed from no one religion should be the state religion to gov't should be devoid of religion? When and where was the amendment to the religion part of the first amendment made to reflect today's definition of separation of church and state in gov't?

  10. #930
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,499

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by cabse5 View Post
    I've never agreed with the bold. Atheism isn't a religion. Atheism is an ideology. And because of the, IMO, bastardized meaning of separation of church and state - that gov't should be devoid of religion, religion is the ONLY ideology not allowed in American gov't.
    And I might add...lucky for us all...for separation of church and state.

    What is atheism's ideology? How do you define its role in society? How does atheism impact our government more than religion?

Page 93 of 97 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •