View Poll Results: Is atheism a religion

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 16.31%
  • No

    118 83.69%
Page 77 of 97 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast
Results 761 to 770 of 963

Thread: Is atheism a religion[W:711:831]

  1. #761
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    I don't need to.
    Of course not, because that would meean the conversation would move forward, and you do not want that.



    Is yours so weak that you can't admit that you believe there is no god?
    You just can't wrap your mind around the fact that I don't need, use, require, want, desire....belief.

    I keep telling you that I am fine with unknowns.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  2. #762
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    Did you know that gullible isn't even in the dictionary?

    But yeah, I know they're doing it.
    excellent! reply #1 I get from you is a textbook continuation of equivocation, reply #2 is a textbook "I'm rubber they're glue" juvenile defense. Too bad I forgot to specifically mention projection in my initial post or people might have started to believe I was psychic
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  3. #763
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,239

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    ... You wouldn't even call yourself an atheist, as you'd have never even heard of the concept of god. ...
    Frankly bizarre illogic. Not having a belief in something is not dependent on never having heard of it.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  4. #764
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Of course not, because that would meean the conversation would move forward, and you do not want that.
    Why wouldn't I?

    You just can't wrap your mind around the fact that I don't need, use, require, want, desire....belief.
    Are you telling me how I think? Can I respond in kind?

    I keep telling you that I am fine with unknowns.
    And that's a belief that you have. I, too, am fine with unknowns. I recognize that that is a belief that I have. You, ostensibly, do not recognize that about yourself. I hope it's okay that I tell you how you think.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  5. #765
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    Frankly bizarre illogic. Not having a belief in something is not dependent on never having heard of it.
    You have a belief on everything you've ever encountered, I hate to inform you. Whether subconscious or not.

    Now, if you've made a dozen posts in a thread about a topic, you certainly do. And it's almost certainly conscious, unless there's some type of debilitation or something.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  6. #766
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by marduc View Post
    excellent! reply #1 I get from you is a textbook continuation of equivocation, reply #2 is a textbook "I'm rubber they're glue" juvenile defense. Too bad I forgot to specifically mention projection in my initial post or people might have started to believe I was psychic
    That's weird. One would've imagined people that can't say what they believe because "believe" doesn't mean what most people think it means would've been the ones you were talking about. Very interesting, marduc!
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  7. #767
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    You have a belief on everything you've ever encountered, I hate to inform you. Whether subconscious or not.

    Now, if you've made a dozen posts in a thread about a topic, you certainly do. And it's almost certainly conscious, unless there's some type of debilitation or something.
    Equivocation happens when one’s argument hinges on a single word that has different meanings in different contexts, but one uses the word as if it has only one meaning for all situations. Remember in third grade when you would say “I love pizza” and your friends would reply with “Well then why don’t you marry it?” They knew good and well what you meant. The word “love” means different things in different contexts, and they were capitalizing on the ambivalence of the meaning in order to make a joke. The words “faith” and “belief” work the same way. If I say that I believe that the Earth revolves around the Sun, it doesn’t mean exactly the same thing as what you mean when you say you believe an invisible spirit made them. They are both beliefs, technically speaking, but they are not both faith—not, at least, in the usual sense of the word. One of those beliefs is based on empirical observation and science while the other is based on, well, something else.
    source: godless in dixie | Skepticism with a bit of a drawl.

    Your game is weak.
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  8. #768
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,239

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    You have a belief on everything you've ever encountered, I hate to inform you. Whether subconscious or not.

    Now, if you've made a dozen posts in a thread about a topic, you certainly do. And it's almost certainly conscious, unless there's some type of debilitation or something.
    Inasmuch as I believe I hold no belief in the supernatural. Your pointette is nonsensical.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  9. #769
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    Okay, then I don't care about what you're saying.
    I know that, I knew that from your first response, this is the path of infantile argument, to come to the point of proclaiming apathy in the face of a self imposed stalemate.





    Ahhh, it was okay when you were doing it to me. Is it a problem?
    When? When I asked you to choose a word, your own word, to describe a construct that requires no proof?
    You consider that someone telling you how to think, putting words in your mouth?

    Again, you have me confused with someone else.



    You're the one who responded to my question about it. Did I force you to?
    I responded to your insistence that atheists believe anything. You still cannot remember the original argument.


    Is this one of those times when it's okay for you to tell me how I think? Is it okay if I tell you how you're thinking or would that be a faux pas?
    I am describing your actions, not the working of your mind, not your thought process.



    Please stop.
    No, you hang up.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  10. #770
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by marduc View Post
    Ahhh, an internet blog! I must duck away in defeat!

    When the topic is theism, atheism, and agnosticism, what you believe is entirely what the conversation hinges upon. Does this bother you? I don't care.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

Page 77 of 97 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •