View Poll Results: Is atheism a religion

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 16.31%
  • No

    118 83.69%
Page 74 of 97 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast
Results 731 to 740 of 963

Thread: Is atheism a religion[W:711:831]

  1. #731
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    I'm playing a semantic game? You're the one that just said no one can believe anything that has any evidence in its favor.
    No I did not, I said for the purpose of this debate we have to agree on terms. You are playing a semantic game when you want to use "belief/faith" to apply to known and unknown quantities. If you can't make a distinction, then we will need to find some other term.

    The point still remains that this atheist is operating without the need to construct imaginary entities to explain unknowns. I am comfortable living with the understanding that unknowns exist, I don't need imaginary supernatural entities to quell some fear of the unknown.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  2. #732
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    There's no but about it. You can believe in testable things. Who told you otherwise? I believe water will boil at 212 degrees fahrenheit. Test it all day. I still believe it.
    No, you know at STP water will boil at 212F. Unless we find some other alternative universe, that physical property holds. It goes beyond faith.



    Did I say you did?
    You gave a response implying I said otherwise, it was straw, it was a non-sequitur.


    Do you believe I did?
    I know you are trying every game in the book to score points in this debate, you have not been debating in good faith, you have been using terms loosely, you are giving non-sequiturs.




    Is that something you believe?
    I know your argument is going in circles because of what I just described.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  3. #733
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    No I did not
    Yes, you did. Need I quote it for you? Be warned, I have a meeting and won't get to it until later, though.

    I said for the purpose of this debate we have to agree on terms. You are playing a semantic game when you want to use "belief/faith" to apply to known and unknown quantities. If you can't make a distinction, then we will need to find some other term.
    There's nothing semantic about it. People believe in testable things.

    The point still remains that this atheist is operating without the need to construct imaginary entities to explain unknowns. I am comfortable living with the understanding that unknowns exist, I don't need imaginary supernatural entities to quell some fear of the unknown.
    So? Me too. Why is that your point when I'm not even discussing that? Did you even mean to quote me? I don't believe in god, so what?*

    *I almost added an "either" there, but of course I can't, because you have yet to simply say you don't believe in god.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  4. #734
    Guru

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,498

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Huh. Really? I couldn't tell from the pages of people all saying you're wrong.



    Neither B or C are religions. No matter how you redefine religion.
    No, not religious; A simile would be like equating religion and atheism with a plane and a helicopter; however, is a belief, is an ideology.

    Any ideology is allowed in government except religion...
    Atheism, Wiccanism, maybe Islam, but not religion.. And the Constitution (1st amendment in the Bill of Rights) says nothing about restricting religion in government - just that the government shouldn't name one religion as the government religion....
    Last edited by cabse5; 08-22-13 at 02:17 PM.

  5. #735
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    No, you know at STP water will boil at 212F. Unless we find some other alternative universe, that physical property holds. It goes beyond faith.
    I believe I know, yes


    You gave a response implying I said otherwise, it was straw, it was a non-sequitur.
    Now why would I do that? Think about it.


    I know you are trying every game in the book to score points in this debate, you have not been debating in good faith, you have been using terms loosely, you are giving non-sequiturs
    You believe you know. I'm trying to get you to think, here.

    I know your argument is going in circles because of what I just described.
    Yeah, you believe you know. I got it.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  6. #736
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by cabse5 View Post
    No, not religious; would be like equating a plane with a helicopter; however, is a belief, is an ideology.
    Exactly. A religious belief, no less.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  7. #737
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    Yes, you did. Need I quote it for you? Be warned, I have a meeting and won't get to it until later, though.
    You can use any distraction from the point you like, however your accusation about what I said is false, and you never need permission to try and prove a claim.



    There's nothing semantic about it. People believe in testable things.
    You are not working towards a solution to this semantic issue, you just keep repeating your problem.



    So? Me too. Why is that your point when I'm not even discussing that? Did you even mean to quote me? I don't believe in god, so what?*

    *I almost added an "either" there, but of course I can't, because you have yet to simply say you don't believe in god.
    I wasn't debating YOUR "beliefs", and no, you don't agree with me because we have a VERY different understanding of just the grammar being used. You DO NOT AGREE WITH ME ON JUST BASIC WORDS, so how you think you know that you agree with me is just baffling.

    FFS.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  8. #738
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    I believe I know, yes
    You just continue to play games, you are not interested in reaching an understanding, and you are fine allowing the debate to get hung up on semantics. It is an infantile tactic to avoid getting to an understanding.




    Now why would I do that? Think about it.
    I don't have to think about it, it is self evident that you are afraid to move the discussion forward, I have given you plenty of chances to choose a word relating to belief that differentiates from knowledge. You won't make a choice.




    You believe you know. I'm trying to get you to think, here.
    No, as I explained, you are in a comfort zone, this is the extent of your capabilities and you can't go forward.



    Yeah, you believe you know. I got it.
    You keep proving my point, you won't move forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  9. #739
    Sage
    Mach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    11,490

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    I can't define everyone's concept of god or no god.
    I didn't ask you to define everyone's concept. If you want to ask your question, but refuse to explain it, or better simply "don't know", there's nothing to answer.

  10. #740
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    You can use any distraction from the point you like, however your accusation about what I said is false, and you never need permission to try and prove a claim.
    Excellent.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    No, belief/faith are convictions absent testable proof.
    This means that if there is testable proof, people may no longer believe in it. Now, when you make such a ludicrous claim, I can only come to the conclusion that, in light of this post:
    You DO NOT AGREE WITH ME ON JUST BASIC WORDS
    that your understanding of basic words is a little incomplete.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

Page 74 of 97 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •