View Poll Results: Is atheism a religion

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 16.31%
  • No

    118 83.69%
Page 73 of 97 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast
Results 721 to 730 of 963

Thread: Is atheism a religion[W:711:831]

  1. #721
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    You just keep missing it, belief is a mental construct of holding to an idea without evidence.
    No, that's not true.

    An atheist is not holding to any construct that is not evident.....no belief.
    No, that's not true.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  2. #722
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    It's because anyone who refuses to declare that, you simply say isn't an atheist.
    Did I? When did that happen?

    It's the only way you can get anywhere, by redefining people according to your absurd definitions. That's why nobody will bother with your stupid question.
    Pout about it. Only one person has had the balls to answer the question. The rest of you are trying to behind the idea that you lack any belief whatsoever about god, which is patently absurd. But it's fun watching you dodge and, in one case, make 'agreements' they didn't even read correctly and then demand it's upheld for pages, before realizing they were wrong and then say "Oh, that doesn't matter, anyways...."
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  3. #723
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    No, that's not true. You can believe things that are testable.
    But that makes the "belief" a testable thing, it changes to a known quantity.



    Okay? I don't think anyone thinks mankind is done learning things.
    I did not say otherwise, non-sequitur.



    So do you believe there is no god, then?
    You are still stuck, it is non-evident, an unknown.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  4. #724
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    No, that's not true.
    How is it "not true". It is the common understanding of belief.



    No, that's not true.
    This atheist is, stop negating without argument, this is just bring contrary.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  5. #725
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    No, it's a simple question. I'm not a theist and I really don't care.

    But I also believe I don't know enough either way. Do you believe otherwise?

    See, these are both beliefs.
    You are playing a semantic game, if you cannot use belief/faith with understanding that it represents the concept of holding to a construct without evidence....as opposed to knowing a testable thing.....then this conversation is going nowhere. We have to be able to distinguish belief from knowledge for the purpose of argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  6. #726
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    But that makes the "belief" a testable thing, it changes to a known quantity.
    There's no but about it. You can believe in testable things. Who told you otherwise? I believe water will boil at 212 degrees fahrenheit. Test it all day. I still believe it.

    I did not say otherwise, non-sequitur.
    Did I say you did? Do you believe I did?


    YouYou are still stuck, it is non-evident, an unknown.
    Is that something you believe?
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  7. #727
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    How is it "not true". It is the common understanding of belief.
    Because you can believe things that have evidence in their favor. Who made this rule that people can only believe things that they have no evidence of? Say that out loud. "People can only believe things that they have no evidence of." That makes no sense

    This atheist is, stop negating without argument, this is just bring contrary.
    Ah, so it's fine if you bluntly say something is true, but you don't like when I bluntly say it's not?
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  8. #728
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    You are playing a semantic game, if you cannot use belief/faith with understanding that it represents the concept of holding to a construct without evidence....as opposed to knowing a testable thing.....then this conversation is going nowhere. We have to be able to distinguish belief from knowledge for the purpose of argument.
    I'm playing a semantic game? You're the one that just said no one can believe anything that has any evidence in its favor.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  9. #729
    Sage
    Mach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    11,450

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    Do you believe there is no god?
    A) Yes
    B) No
    C) I don't know
    Please define this concept you're inquiring about "no god", so we can see if the question can be answered.

  10. #730
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    Please define this concept you're inquiring about "no god", so we can see if the question can be answered.
    I can't define everyone's concept of god or no god. There's probably as many concepts as there are people in the world.

    But I'm sure every person can answer that question for themselves. Whether they want to in public here is another story, I guess.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

Page 73 of 97 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •