View Poll Results: Is atheism a religion

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 16.31%
  • No

    118 83.69%
Page 72 of 97 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast
Results 711 to 720 of 963

Thread: Is atheism a religion[W:711:831]

  1. #711
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,915

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    obvious Child is obviously very upset. He can't seem to answer this question and is lashing out.

    Let's all make fun of him until he can.
    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    $5 says this guy is seriously trolling us.
    Moderator's Warning:
    Is atheism a religion[W:711:831]These personal comments need to stop right now. Return to the topic, atheism.
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We canít get lost in discrimination. We canít get lost in B.S. We canít get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

  2. #712
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    Wow, you edited your post (after I quoted it, sadly for you) and it still doesn't help your cause. This is really going poorly for you. How about you just answer the question and we'll let bygones be bygones?
    Cute. You agreed to the initial terms. I didn't agree to your modified proposal. The violation of the bet agreement is still yours.

    Anyways, still doesn't change the fact that atheism is not a religion anymore than rejecting the wearing of orange socks on Wednesday is a religion.

    Lack of belief belief or rejection of a belief would require that you hold the religion of rejecting Shiva. Do you follow such a religion?
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  3. #713
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    It is not a matter of belief, it is a matter of evidence. The evidence is that there is no "god". Belief is faith, faith is a matter of holding to feelings, not real, testable evidence.

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    Did you just change the idea of belief to suit your point? Cooooool.
    No, belief/faith are convictions absent testable proof. I cannot "change" words.

    The point is evidence, repeatable, testable proof.

    If you have no proof of god, then it is a matter of belief/faith...irrationality.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  4. #714
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    I don't have any. I'm agnostic. But I'm honest in what I believe (I believe I don't know and don't care much beyond that).

    Apparently you can't even acknowledge that you don't know. How strange.
    This is the argument of proving a negative, to know something not evident.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  5. #715
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

    That's exactly like a religious person saying there is a god.

    No "belief" to it, they'd say.
    You just keep missing it, belief is a mental construct of holding to an idea without evidence.

    An atheist is not holding to any construct that is not evident.....no belief.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  6. #716
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    One answered. S/he said they believed their was no god. No one else could do it.

    Weird.
    It's because anyone who refuses to declare that, you simply say isn't an atheist. It's the only way you can get anywhere, by redefining people according to your absurd definitions. That's why nobody will bother with your stupid question.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  7. #717
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:16 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,309

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    No. I'm an atheist.

    No, that is NOT what an agnostic thinks about deities, because agnosticism has NOTHING TO DO with what you think about deities. Let's try this again.

    You can be an agnostic atheist, meaning you don't have reason to believe deities exist, AND you think such knowledge is impossible to acquire.

    OR you can be an agnostic THEIST, meaning you believe deities exist, but you think true knowledge of such is impossible.

    Whether or not I think it is possible to acquire knowledge of deities is irrelevant to the fact that, at present, there is no evidence, and thus no reason to believe.
    I guess, if you take belief to be an emotional activity - not so much an informed guess as a gut feeling - your statements would more or less fit the etymology word.

  8. #718
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Cute. You agreed to the initial terms. I didn't agree to your modified proposal. The violation of the bet agreement is still yours.
    I didn't modify any proposal. In fact, you quoted is what I wrote. Are you now trying to deflect from your mistake by saying you were somehow tricked when it's there in black and white? I said something and you quoted it. Go back to this post: http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/...post1062218742. But now I modified the proposal? Anyone can see you're making this up as you go on. All to avoid a simple question.

    Anyways, still doesn't change
    loooooooooooooooooooooool pages of you demanding I honor some delusional agreement you think we had, you're proven wrong and now it doesn't matter. "Welp, anyways, that still doesn't change". lol this is great.

    the fact that atheism is not a religion anymore than rejecting the wearing of orange socks on Wednesday is a religion.
    Right, you keep saying that like you think you're being introspective.

    Lack of belief belief or rejection of a belief would require that you hold the religion of rejecting Shiva.
    Ah, is this why you can't tell when if you

    A) Believe there is no god?
    B) Believe there is a god?
    C) Believe you don't know if there's a god?

    Because you have no idea how to respond to what follows, so you just refuse to answer it and instead have a temper tantrum about an agreement that you didn't read in the first place?
    Do you follow such a religion?
    I hold that religious belief, yes.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  9. #719
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    No, belief/faith are convictions absent testable proof. I cannot "change" words.
    No, that's not true. You can believe things that are testable.

    The point is evidence, repeatable, testable proof.
    Okay? I don't think anyone thinks mankind is done learning things.

    If you have no proof of god, then it is a matter of belief/faith...irrationality.
    So do you believe there is no god, then?
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  10. #720
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    This is the argument of proving a negative, to know something not evident.
    No, it's a simple question. I'm not a theist and I really don't care.

    But I also believe I don't know enough either way. Do you believe otherwise?

    See, these are both beliefs.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

Page 72 of 97 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •