View Poll Results: Is atheism a religion

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 16.31%
  • No

    118 83.69%
Page 65 of 97 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast
Results 641 to 650 of 963

Thread: Is atheism a religion[W:711:831]

  1. #641
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,177

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Did you really just use the dictionary definition of the word "agnostic" to try to prove why your definition of "atheist" is correct, all while saying that atheism and agnosticism are "totally different subjects?"

    So, if they're totally different, how is the definition of one evidence of the definition of the other?

    And from what you're describing here, it sounds an awful lot like an agnostic viewpoint : "There are plenty of ways a deity-like entity or system could potentially work that can't be excluded, and there are also millions of non-described possible deities that can't be excluded either."
    Your claim is that the dictionary doesn't reflect the true subject matter of agnosticism. I just proved you wrong.

    No, it is NOT an agnostic claim. Read the part I bolded again.

    I have not said that that such possible deities are unknowable. I have simply said there are lots of possibilities.

    I have no reason to believe any of them at this time. That is what makes me an atheist.

  2. #642
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,739

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Well you've sort of brought this discussion to a stand still with your deliberate ignorance. You refuse to take five minutes to educate yourself on the meanings of scientific theory or the scientific method, you won't read up on what the Big Bang is, and you refuse to take fifteen minutes to read up on evolution so you stop making a complete fool of yourself. There's nowhere to go from here.
    Funny...thats your normal response to the questions you cant/wont answer-make a snotty snarky comment.

    I suppose thats what you mean by "On likeDonkey Kong"...

  3. #643
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    Your claim is that the dictionary doesn't reflect the true subject matter of agnosticism. I just proved you wrong..
    What? When did I claim that the dictionary was wrong about agnosticism? You must be mixing me up with someone else.

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    No, it is NOT an agnostic claim. Read the part I bolded again.

    I have not said that that such possible deities are unknowable. I have simply said there are lots of possibilities.

    I have no reason to believe any of them at this time. That is what makes me an atheist.
    If you don't believe that you don't have any reason to believe them.... then you don't believe them. The distinction is practically nonexistent. That was my point.

  4. #644
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:20 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,420

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    You're incorrect.

    I suggested you look immediately above you so that you could see me explain this about 10 times. Oh well.

    Agnosticism is about what knowledge is possible to acquire.

    Atheism is about the knowledge we already have (or don't have, as the case may be).

    Are you implying that atheists are idiots? After all we have no knowledge of the final things, without which we have no basis on which to build knowledge. In other words we have only contextual knowledge and can only make assumptions on things outside the context. This is what the agnostic thinks about deities. We can only believe, not know.
    We just do not know and do not have any basis on which to assume we can know other than the possibility that we discover something that gives us a hitherto unknown basis.

  5. #645
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,177

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    What? When did I claim that the dictionary was wrong about agnosticism? You must be mixing me up with someone else.
    You claimed these terms outside of some locked-in philosophical society are different, and that the dictionary reflected these supposed totally different meanings. You're wrong.

    If you don't believe that you don't have any reason to believe them.... then you don't believe them. The distinction is practically nonexistent. That was my point.
    Do you understand the difference between asking if something can be known and asking if something IS known?

    It is not a subtle difference. They are not even the same subject.

  6. #646
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    So can any atheists answer the question of if they believe there is no god? Or if they believe there is? Or if they believe they don't know?
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  7. #647
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,177

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    Are you implying that atheists are idiots? After all we have no knowledge of the final things, without which we have no basis on which to build knowledge. In other words we have only contextual knowledge and can only make assumptions on things outside the context. This is what the agnostic thinks about deities. We can only believe, not know.
    We just do not know and do not have any basis on which to assume we can know other than the possibility that we discover something that gives us a hitherto unknown basis.
    No. I'm an atheist.

    No, that is NOT what an agnostic thinks about deities, because agnosticism has NOTHING TO DO with what you think about deities. Let's try this again.

    You can be an agnostic atheist, meaning you don't have reason to believe deities exist, AND you think such knowledge is impossible to acquire.

    OR you can be an agnostic THEIST, meaning you believe deities exist, but you think true knowledge of such is impossible.

    Whether or not I think it is possible to acquire knowledge of deities is irrelevant to the fact that, at present, there is no evidence, and thus no reason to believe.

  8. #648
    Guru

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,498

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    A lack of belief is not a belief. Atheism is not a religion or a belief.
    Now, if you want to define religion as being exclusively Judeo-Christian, as many are want to do, I'd agree atheism isn't a religion.

    Don't you realize your misuse of the language? Lack of a belief is a belief. You believe there is no God... OK, prove there's no God.... Your belief is an ideology. Religion is a subset of ideology.
    Last edited by cabse5; 08-21-13 at 01:41 PM.

  9. #649
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    So can any atheists answer the question of if they believe there is no god? Or if they believe there is? Or if they believe they don't know?
    All you have to do is go back and read the clarifications of their positions. If people have stopped responding to you they're probably figuring that if you won't read the dozens of past explanations then you probably have no intention of reading them now. Just sayin'.

  10. #650
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Funny...thats your normal response to the questions you cant/wont answer-make a snotty snarky comment.

    I suppose thats what you mean by "On likeDonkey Kong"...
    No, I got what I needed. You're so anti-science that you feel more comfortable not knowing what it is.

Page 65 of 97 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •