View Poll Results: Is atheism a religion

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 16.31%
  • No

    118 83.69%
Page 60 of 97 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast
Results 591 to 600 of 963

Thread: Is atheism a religion[W:711:831]

  1. #591
    Educator Grendel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-02-13 @ 01:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    704

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Although... question: if the majority of atheists conclude that there is no reason to believe in a diety, I would like to know what the remaining minority believe. By process of elimination, do they, therefore, believe that there is a reason to believe in a diety?
    Some lack a belief that there is a deity. They're people who practice inductive reasoning and don't form beliefs except from evidence, adn they've found no evidence to form a belief in such a thing existing.

    Others believe that there is no deity, generally by process of elimination. They don't lack any belief, they have a belief, and that belief is that it is demonstratable that there are no gods.
    "All that stuff I was taught about evolution, embryology, Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell [the bible] teaches us how to run all our public policy and everything in society." Rep. Paul Broun (R)

  2. #592
    Sage
    longview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,366

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    The original poll question was "Is atheism a religion"
    Religion and Faith are very different things.
    A person could be very religious, while having a complete lack of faith.
    It could be said that serial killers are religious people, in that they repeatably
    practice what they believe.
    But we are not talking about individuals, rather group behavior.
    For the sake of the discussion, a religion could be any gathering of individuals
    with shared beliefs. This is different than common interest, like a club.
    A belief is different than knowledge, in that it is an abstract and can be based
    on an accumulation of experience, or nothing at all, and everything in between.
    When a group promotes their beliefs, beyond their group, they become a missionary
    for those beliefs.
    When a group enlist government to coerce a set of beliefs to the exclusion of other
    sets of beliefs, That is a state religion!
    It really does not matter what the belief is, only that it limits peoples freedom
    to practice their beliefs as they want.
    In this respect atheism is indeed a religion.
    They just do most of the missionary work in the courtroom.

  3. #593
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    You're getting better.

    That was well-worded and thought out.

    Although... question: if the majority of atheists conclude that there is no reason to believe in a diety, I would like to know what the remaining minority believe. By process of elimination, do they, therefore, believe that there is a reason to believe in a diety?

    What makes them atheists, then? And who are these people?
    You are failing to differentiate "no reason to believe in a deity" from "there is no deity".

    "No reason to believe in a deity" does not equal "there is no deity." So if you reread her post you will see that she is implying that the minority are those that claim that there is no deity for certain - which renders your questions in the last line of your post moot since they are derived from your misinterpretation (straw man?)
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  4. #594
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,715

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    Are you really criticising atheists for having faith?
    No no. Merely pointing out their blatant hypocrisy when directing scorn towards those that have faith. And particularly, in this instance, an individual that quite directly stated she does not deal in such things as 'faith', only scientifically proven 'fact'...until it is convenient.

  5. #595
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,174

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    I would have thought that not believing for lack of proof was agnostic and rejecting someone else's positive claim without evidence poor science. But it is very sound skepticism.
    Please read my posts immediately around you to see why this is incorrect. Alternatively, spend some time reading about what agnosticism actually is.

  6. #596
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,174

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    You're getting better.

    That was well-worded and thought out.

    Although... question: if the majority of atheists conclude that there is no reason to believe in a diety, I would like to know what the remaining minority believe. By process of elimination, do they, therefore, believe that there is a reason to believe in a diety?

    What makes them atheists, then? And who are these people?
    As if you know a damn thing in the world about it.

    Anyway, yours is a pretty lame attempt at a "gotcha." You already know that in casual society people who assert there is no deity are still called atheists, although they didn't used to be in proper philosophy. Philosophy has tried to sort of adjust to this, since the battle of the meaning of English words is already lost, by inventing the terms "positive atheist" and "gnostic atheist" and others.

    So, in other words, people like you just don't know what words mean, and yet have this urge to assert ignorant opinions about it. It's the same reason people now believe that agnosticism means "I don't know if there are deities" and people think nihilism is either being emo or believing nothing exists. People are just phenomenally ignorant about philosophy.

  7. #597
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:42 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,403

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    Please read my posts immediately around you to see why this is incorrect. Alternatively, spend some time reading about what agnosticism actually is.
    I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

  8. #598
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:42 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,403

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    No no. Merely pointing out their blatant hypocrisy when directing scorn towards those that have faith. And particularly, in this instance, an individual that quite directly stated she does not deal in such things as 'faith', only scientifically proven 'fact'...until it is convenient.
    Don't call it 'hypocracy' but only poor thinking.

  9. #599
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,174

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one.
    You don't even know what you disagree about.

  10. #600
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,174

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Against learning you say? Pah...foolishness. Some of the most learned people throughout history have been people of faith. Likewise some of the most blind and ignorant people on the planet are those that put their blind faith in theories. They claim a 'belief in evolution...but how many of them actually UNDERSTAND evolution or can even BEGIN to explain the macro-evolutionary theories? How many people seize a belief in the Big Bang as the 'real' act of creation? Indeed...its comical to watch them say Hah! You believe in a God? Not me...I believe in SCIENCE!...and then not have the first ****ing clue as to what they actually believe. You dont do that. You believe in nothing unless it is proven. So...in your scientific master...you know and believe in 'nothing' re the origins of the cosmos. You cant...because of course...it isnt 'proven'.

    And the love part...that is just...the best.

    I understand completely Agnostics. I dont believe in atheists. Atheists are typically bitter angry hate filled little trolls that attack others of 'faith'. The irony is how truly little they know and how easily they manipulate their own beliefs.
    Dude... do you understand what you argued? None of that first block of text addresses it. I wasn't talking about whether religious people can learn. Good lord...

    You're attempting to attach a notion of shame to benefiting from the knowledge acquired by others, rather than oneself.

    This means you are arguing against learning.

    What is wrong with me not asserting some baseless, ignorant opinion about something where no one knows what the answer is? I think it's a virtue not to make baseless claims.

    You have no idea what the hell either an agnostic or an atheist are, and you refuse to learn because then you might have to deal with the fact that your feelings about atheists are pretty obviously projection. Look at how angry you are that I have the audacity to not believe things baselessly.

    At least you're consistent. You argue against learning, and even seem to reject it yourself, personally.
    Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 08-21-13 at 11:19 AM.

Page 60 of 97 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •