View Poll Results: Is atheism a religion

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 16.31%
  • No

    118 83.69%
Page 59 of 97 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast
Results 581 to 590 of 963

Thread: Is atheism a religion[W:711:831]

  1. #581
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,715

    Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    Ah, yes. When you have nothing left to defend yourself with, it's ole' "atheists are sad, miserable losers who see the world in a flat and lifeless, mechanical way" personal attack.

    Love certainly makes a lot of sense for a social species. But I fail to see why this matters in the context of my own life. I am allowed to feel however I like.

    And furthermore, I actually find it sad that you see no beauty in the natural world. That you don't find it remarkable that our brains are complex enough to render something as vivid as love. That you find not knowing too scary to even admit to, rather than finding adventure in it, and the mystery that exists in reality and in science.

    I think your view -- a simplistic tribal story explains all of reality, and believing things blindly is better than seeking answers and being surprised at what they are -- is the one that is flat and lifeless.
    It's funny you think I am trying to or care to 'defend' anything. You on the other hand...well...Fraziers wife comes to mind. That's passion right there baby. "Our genetic makeup indicates we would make adequate partners to procreate for the logical intent of furthering the species". It's a pretty speech about the brain and love...but it's just a theory...and not like you actually believe it.

    It's also comical that you find your position 'superior'. You know...that whole "I know and believe in nothin unless someone else does the work to prove it" thing. Impressive.

  2. #582
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,174

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    It's funny you think I am trying to or care to 'defend' anything. You on the other hand...well...Fraziers wife comes to mind. That's passion right there baby. "Our genetic makeup indicates we would make adequate partners to procreate for the logical intent of furthering the species". It's a pretty speech about the brain and love...but it's just a theory...and not like you actually believe it.

    It's also comical that you find your position 'superior'. You know...that whole "I know and believe in nothin unless someone else does the work to prove it" thing. Impressive.
    The irony of this, from someone who lets some guy in a robe tell him what reality is, is just too much.

    But besides that, you're the one with a fear of not having all the answers, not me.

    The argument you just made, by way of trying to attach some kind of shame to exploring the work of others, is an argument against learning.

    Do you read what you type?

  3. #583
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    Notice it gives two definitions and you choose to believe only one of them: the one that suits you.

    You're incorrect. Agnosticism is a completely different subject. Atheism and agnosticism are not part of a continuum.

    Agnosticism is addressing the question of what kind of knowledge is possible. Atheism is not. It is only addressing what knowledge we have. For the overwhelming majority of atheist, that conclusion is that there is presently no reason to believe in a deity -- the positive claims made by theists. It is not that we can make a positive claim that there are no deities for certain.
    You're getting better.

    That was well-worded and thought out.

    Although... question: if the majority of atheists conclude that there is no reason to believe in a diety, I would like to know what the remaining minority believe. By process of elimination, do they, therefore, believe that there is a reason to believe in a diety?

    What makes them atheists, then? And who are these people?

  4. #584
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:57 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,407

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    A lack of belief is not a belief. Atheism is not a religion or a belief.
    True. I had not differentiated that. Is it only belief, do you believe?

  5. #585
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:57 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,407

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    Most atheists don't believe that no god exists.

    They simply don't believe claims made by the religious, because there's no evidence for them.

    Rejecting someone else's positive claim is not a belief.


    I would have thought that not believing for lack of proof was agnostic and rejecting someone else's positive claim without evidence poor science. But it is very sound skepticism.

  6. #586
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,715

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    The irony of this, from someone who lets some guy in a robe tell him what reality is, is just too much.

    But besides that, you're the one with a fear of not having all the answers, not me.

    The argument you just made, by way of trying to attach some kind of shame to exploring the work of others, is an argument against learning.

    Do you read what you type?
    Against learning you say? Pah...foolishness. Some of the most learned people throughout history have been people of faith. Likewise some of the most blind and ignorant people on the planet are those that put their blind faith in theories. They claim a 'belief in evolution...but how many of them actually UNDERSTAND evolution or can even BEGIN to explain the macro-evolutionary theories? How many people seize a belief in the Big Bang as the 'real' act of creation? Indeed...its comical to watch them say Hah! You believe in a God? Not me...I believe in SCIENCE!...and then not have the first ****ing clue as to what they actually believe. You dont do that. You believe in nothing unless it is proven. So...in your scientific master...you know and believe in 'nothing' re the origins of the cosmos. You cant...because of course...it isnt 'proven'.

    And the love part...that is just...the best.

    I understand completely Agnostics. I dont believe in atheists. Atheists are typically bitter angry hate filled little trolls that attack others of 'faith'. The irony is how truly little they know and how easily they manipulate their own beliefs.

  7. #587
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,239

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Against learning you say? Pah...foolishness. Some of the most learned people throughout history have been people of faith. Likewise some of the most blind and ignorant people on the planet are those that put their blind faith in theories. They claim a 'belief in evolution...but how many of them actually UNDERSTAND evolution or can even BEGIN to explain the macro-evolutionary theories? How many people seize a belief in the Big Bang as the 'real' act of creation? Indeed...its comical to watch them say Hah! You believe in a God? Not me...I believe in SCIENCE!...and then not have the first ****ing clue as to what they actually believe. You dont do that. You believe in nothing unless it is proven. So...in your scientific master...you know and believe in 'nothing' re the origins of the cosmos. You cant...because of course...it isnt 'proven'.

    And the love part...that is just...the best.

    I understand completely Agnostics. I dont believe in atheists. Atheists are typically bitter angry hate filled little trolls that attack others of 'faith'. The irony is how truly little they know and how easily they manipulate their own beliefs.

    Someone who cleaves to a bronze-age fairy tale as foundational to their exstence needs to grow a thicker skin.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  8. #588
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,715

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    Someone who cleaves to a bronze-age fairy tale as foundational to their exstence needs to grow a thicker skin.
    My skin is just fine...but its very funny to see how thin others gets when their own (rather glaring) inconsistencies get pointed out.

  9. #589
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    You read the rest of the thread? OldWorldOrder's argument only works when you define religion as "any belief, lack of belief or rejection of belief is a religion."

    That's why I made the other poll. His argument is completely idiotic in that it devalues religion to the point that rejection of wearing Orange Socks on Wednesdays is a religion to classify atheism as a religion.
    If you were wearing orange socks on Wednesdays as part of a symbol about a belief that a deity exists or doesn't exist, it becomes a religious custom.

    Are you upset to be lumped in with theists?
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  10. #590
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,888
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Against learning you say? Pah...foolishness. Some of the most learned people throughout history have been people of faith. Likewise some of the most blind and ignorant people on the planet are those that put their blind faith in theories. They claim a 'belief in evolution...but how many of them actually UNDERSTAND evolution or can even BEGIN to explain the macro-evolutionary theories? How many people seize a belief in the Big Bang as the 'real' act of creation? Indeed...its comical to watch them say Hah! You believe in a God? Not me...I believe in SCIENCE!...and then not have the first ****ing clue as to what they actually believe. You dont do that. You believe in nothing unless it is proven. So...in your scientific master...you know and believe in 'nothing' re the origins of the cosmos. You cant...because of course...it isnt 'proven'.

    And the love part...that is just...the best.

    I understand completely Agnostics. I dont believe in atheists. Atheists are typically bitter angry hate filled little trolls that attack others of 'faith'. The irony is how truly little they know and how easily they manipulate their own beliefs.
    Are you really criticising atheists for having faith?
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

Page 59 of 97 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •