View Poll Results: Is atheism a religion

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 16.31%
  • No

    118 83.69%
Page 52 of 97 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
Results 511 to 520 of 963

Thread: Is atheism a religion[W:711:831]

  1. #511
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,797

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Astology is not a religion. Also, astrology doesn't require faith, it's just symbology.
    Of course it requires faith, it requires faith in the belief that the position of stars and constellations affect the lives of people on Earth.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  2. #512
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by mbig View Post
    I don't believe astrology either. Is that a 'Religion'?
    It's a religious belief.

    Wonderful, but that Does NOT answer my statement that IF Evidence of a god emerged, any atheist would be glad to accept it, just like they have has accepted other [factual/evidentiary] "beliefs". You didn't categorically answer, you gratuitously spouted zero.
    I don't care? Why the **** would I care about god?

    Therein lies much of your Semantic BS be it unwittting or more likely Disingenuity.
    You're so emotional about being called religious. Hilarious.

    I've made many posts on this, I call it the "Everything is just a belief"... FALLACY.
    I believe that there is Evolution. There is/are Millions of pieces of Confirmatory EVIDENCE for this "belief".
    In religion, one has BLIND "FAITH" in things NOT IN EVIDENCE
    .
    Oh, you call it a fallacy? Must be true, then.

    It's an attempt at False Equivalence to call everything just a "belief".
    "See, I believe in god, but you don't" we both just have opinions"
    Religion is "Faith" in something that has NO Evidence.
    If it had evidence, it might rise to a hypothesis or even Theory, but religion by Definition, is Faith/Blind belief.
    Who cares? You have a religious belief.

    In addition to that Fallacy you have compounded your Logic-Fracture by trying to make Every simple 'belief', be it Fact-based or not, into a religion.
    Ridiculous BS.
    Every belief about whether or not there's a god, yes.

    Not for all and Not the context of the quote. That correct inferred context being if one just has No hair.
    More Disingenuity.. attempted/Failed.
    Stop. Read that again.

    Another Inane/Dishonest 'reply'.
    You're so angry.
    The Point was the word was a default for people who held No belief and Only assigned them because a majority had a different view.
    Do you not hold a belief?

    Again, one doesn't call people "Non-Alchemists" and "non-astrologers".
    But they could.

    I hate when people like you ABUSE the multi-quote system/attempt to look categorical but really Deflect/wise-crack.
    Too bad for you, huh?

    and again, is "NOT believing" in astrology a Religion?
    OOOOPS
    Yes. It's a religious stance. Just like you have.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  3. #513
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
    I gave you sources, and you ignored them because the evidence demonstrated that you are incorrect. And yes, "religious" and "belief" do change when you put them together in that order.
    lol no, it doesn't.

    This is basic, elementary-level English grammar. "Religious" modifies belief. It qualifies the "belief" as being "religious" in nature, not as being "about religion."
    A "religious" "belief". You have one. It's fine. It's not bad. Grow up.

    And I'm really not going to explain adjectives to you. At this point you've fallen far too short of a basic understanding of the English language for me to believe that you'll ever be able to understand why you are wrong,.
    Oh gosh. How will I ever...
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  4. #514
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Xsnake1 View Post
    Is atheism a religion



    Is religion atheism?

    That makes about as much sense as your question.




    "The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of people not to listen." ~ Tommy Smothers

  5. #515
    Educator Grendel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-02-13 @ 01:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    704

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    lol no, it doesn't.


    A "religious" "belief". You have one. It's fine. It's not bad. Grow up.



    Oh gosh. How will I ever...
    I rarely see this level of obstinate refusal to even look at the available facts outside of Rush Limbaugh fans. Even when it's explained to you, including dictionary definitions, including a basic explanation of the functional value of the language, you just ignore it all and continue insisting that you're right, even though you have no logic, no language, nothing in favor of your new definitions and your new rules of English grammar.

    You're religiously devoted to this incorrect belief about the meaning of the phrase "religious belief". It's like trying to convince a fundamentalist Christian that the earth isn't less than 10,000 years old. No amount of evidence will change his belief.

    Here, have a free elementary school education. It would help end your struggle against reality: Adjectives
    "All that stuff I was taught about evolution, embryology, Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell [the bible] teaches us how to run all our public policy and everything in society." Rep. Paul Broun (R)

  6. #516
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,797

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
    I rarely see this level of obstinate refusal to even look at the available facts outside of Rush Limbaugh fans. Even when it's explained to you, including dictionary definitions, including a basic explanation of the functional value of the language, you just ignore it all and continue insisting that you're right, even though you have no logic, no language, nothing in favor of your new definitions and your new rules of English grammar.

    You're religiously devoted to this incorrect belief about the meaning of the phrase "religious belief". It's like trying to convince a fundamentalist Christian that the earth isn't less than 10,000 years old. No amount of evidence will change his belief.

    Here, have a free elementary school education. It would help end your struggle against reality: Adjectives
    There are none so blind as those who stubbornly refuse to see.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  7. #517
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    Nah.
    So not only do you refuse to use actual definitions, you rely upon "I say so."

    I'm close to just ignoring your posts as you cannot use basic communication skills.

    And some don't. Are they nonreligious, then?
    No true Scotsman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Try again Mr. Fallacy

    Do you believe there is no god?
    Nope. I don't believe there is no God. Your pathetic attempt at labeling has failed from the start and made you look foolish.

    Do you believe that?
    Do I believe that atheism is a lack of belief in deities at all? Yes. Does that make it a religion? No.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  8. #518
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
    I rarely see this level of obstinate refusal to even look at the available facts outside of Rush Limbaugh fans.
    lol? I'm an Obama voter?

    Even when it's explained to you, including dictionary definitions, including a basic explanation of the functional value of the language, you just ignore it all and continue insisting that you're right, even though you have no logic, no language, nothing in favor of your new definitions and your new rules of English grammar.
    Uhh...why do you think your english language trumps mine? How odd.

    You're religiously devoted to this incorrect belief about the meaning of the phrase "religious belief".
    I am. I'm not crying about being called religious, though.

    It's like trying to convince a fundamentalist Christian that the earth isn't less than 10,000 years old. No amount of evidence will change his belief.
    Talking to you is like that. You;re so sure your religious beliefs are fact. Just like Christians/Jews/Muslims/etc.

    Here, have a free elementary school education. It would help end your struggle against reality: Adjectives
    lol why are you so mad?
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  9. #519
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    So not only do you refuse to use actual definitions, you rely upon "I say so."
    Did you miss when I used definitions?

    I'm close to just ignoring your posts as you cannot use basic communication skills.
    That's what true believers do.

    Some do and some don't. Who was the one talking about what 'true' Taoists did? lol it was you. Are you even smart enough for this? This is fun.

    Nope. I don't believe there is no God. Your pathetic attempt at labeling has failed from the start and made you look foolish.
    What do you believe. Why do you think me asking you a question labeled you as anything: again, are you even smart enough for this? Who labeled you?

    Do I believe that atheism is a lack of belief in deities at all? Yes. Does that make it a religion? No.
    Of course you think that. That's why you're here.

    SORRY TO DISAGREE WITH YOUR TEACHINGS.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  10. #520
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Christ. some of you atheists have Jehovah Witness-level logic.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

Page 52 of 97 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •