View Poll Results: Is atheism a religion

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 16.31%
  • No

    118 83.69%
Page 49 of 97 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 490 of 963

Thread: Is atheism a religion[W:711:831]

  1. #481
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-16-13 @ 05:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,817

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by windowdressing View Post
    they believe God doesn't exist, no?
    If they say that God does not exist, that is an ignorant as saying that God does exist since neither one knows, which is why being an agnostic is the only rational choice.

    They can of course say that they believe that God does not exist. That is the same as saying that he does. Both are subjective.

  2. #482
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    09-08-13 @ 02:07 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,655

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Non-sequitur. Did you read through much of the thread?
    sure it does ... time to move on Cardinal ... laytah ...

  3. #483
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    09-08-13 @ 02:07 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,655

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    No. They do not believe that deities exist.
    a belief ...

  4. #484
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    09-08-13 @ 02:07 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,655

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by TiredOfLife View Post
    If they say that God does not exist, that is an ignorant as saying that God does exist since neither one knows, which is why being an agnostic is the only rational choice.

    They can of course say that they believe that God does not exist. That is the same as saying that he does. Both are subjective.
    we agree ....

  5. #485
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,613
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by windowdressing View Post
    a belief ...
    Your desperate semantics aside, I and I alone know what I believe, and what I do not believe. But since you appear to be unable to concede your inability to appropriately read minds, and obviously are one of those who insist upon having the final word, you may have it since I grow bored with what is obviously at this point, a silly game.

  6. #486
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Fortunately, 85% of the people on this forum appear to have a firm enough grasp on logic and language to understand that atheism isn't a religion, but for those 15% who do I'd be curious what they consider to not be religion.
    Swimming pools are not a religion. Neither is beer.

  7. #487
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,034

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Swimming pools are not a religion. Neither is beer.
    And yet you believe they exist. Hence you belong to the churches of swimming pools and beer.

    Not that I'm judging you badly for that, mind you, unless you drink PBR or something.

  8. #488
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    09-08-13 @ 02:07 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,655

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    Your desperate semantics aside, I and I alone know what I believe, and what I do not believe. But since you appear to be unable to concede your inability to appropriately read minds, and obviously are one of those who insist upon having the final word, you may have it since I grow bored with what is obviously at this point, a silly game.
    What? Now I'm really confused ... it's late ... time to hit the sack ... another time ... perhaps we're talking past each other, no game ... good night.

  9. #489
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    09-08-13 @ 02:07 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,655

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Swimming pools are not a religion. Neither is beer.
    I have a couple of uncles who would disagree with you on the beer ... in fact, I just left them an hour ago ... they were worshipping at the corner bar ... they're devote in fact ... gotta go ... have a good night ...

  10. #490
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by hallam View Post
    Unfortunately, the definition is pretty clear. You do believe something even though you will never admit this. YOu don't admit it for other psychological reasons but if you can't accept definitions by Noah Webster and the Merriams.....well then do what you have to.
    I don't use definitions of words that define the word in question with the same word. You're looking up what a word means. Why would you use a definition that includes the very word you don't know? That's idiotic. Again, I'm not an atheist. You can keep trying that line, but you keep looking more and more foolish every time.

    This is a false equivalent argument and this analogy doesn't make sense for the point you are trying to make. Reason 1 as to why: Baldness and hair color can't be equated as even bald people have a hair color. Whether a person is bald because they shave or their hair wont grown anymore, at one time that bald person grew hair and it had a color. Therefore even if no hair shows, that person has a hair color.
    Wow. Can you go to a further tangent to attempt to refute this? Furthermore, you made a mistake there. A person who no longer can grow hair has no hair color. They had hair color. Your argument only works in the past tense. But we aren't dealing with that. We're dealing with now. Therefore, the analogy is still valid as the person has no hair in the first place, and thus has no hair color. Merely because at some time in the past they did does not mean they have hair color now.

    Reason 2, atheism isn't the lack of hair. Again, atheism is a belief. You are holding an opinion about a Thing. Therefore, atheism is picking a color, lets say Blue, and then saying Blue isn't a color.
    That was completely nonsensical. Atheism is a lack of belief. Bald is a lack of hair. The fact that they aren't the same thing irrelevant. The whole point was to compare the lack of something.

    Another analogy may be that black, the absence of absorption of all color wavelengths, isn't a color. But it is clearly is a color too. Atheism is just the belief in a negate.
    Huh? How can lack of belief = belief in negate? What you are describing are physical property of lights and pigment.

    Maybe you need to see other people who believe in a negative position.
    Negative position is not the same as having no position.

    Well, physics has a theory that nothing can travel faster than light.
    Physics doesn't say that. Physics actually has multiple theories on how to do just that. Physical laws were never absolute. We know that the known properties of light do not behave the same way in a black hole. Your assumption is wrong and your argument that stems from it is based on a faulty and incorrect foundation.

    [quote]Some physicist believe that nothing can travel faster than light. This theory is unproven as of yet but it is stilled theorized and is accepted in relativity theory. It is a theorized negative position held by people. This idea within physics is a belief because it is an opinion/truth about a thing held by people. It meets the definitions which you quoted.

    This would matter if your first assumption wasn't totally wrong.

    I am not redefining anything. I directly quoted both sites.
    No, you are defining atheism as a rejection of a belief in deities, when Atheism is merely a lack of belief in deities.

    Actually yes. When you think of anything, you create beliefs.
    Which doesn't help your argument. You just said that you can't have lack of beliefs. If you don't think about it, you can't have beliefs. Therefore you are wrong.

    Second, a belief that has no beliefs about deities is still not a religion.

    This is a fact. When I ready your post about giant isopods, I actually formed a couple of beliefs at the same time: 1. giant isopods probably don't exist but I haven't researched them so I am not sure what an isopod is (as an aside: I am specifically not Googling isopod to see what you mean here. And biology is a mystery to me; I never study it, have never studied it. I pretty much dislike all the animal TV as well.); 2. the definition of a small area in the antarctic may be as large as several square miles given that the antarctic is several thousand square miles; 3. as "special type" may mean here several things, so I came to the belief that you don't define examples well if I am honest. And that is just three. The position you don't have in atheism but are describing as a lack (and I have to be specifically vague here so this is going to come across as strange) is if you don't believe in something you have never heard of. The problem is when you hear it you start to create beliefs about the new thing you just heard about. Since you have heard about God and rejected him/her/it, atheism isn't a lack. it just a belief in the negative.
    There you go again, you define atheism as a rejection of beliefs if deities, when that is not what Atheism is. There is no point in talking to you if you refuse to use the actual definition of atheism and instead choose to define it as you so please with no regards for how it actually is defined.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

Page 49 of 97 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •