View Poll Results: Is atheism a religion

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 16.31%
  • No

    118 83.69%
Page 46 of 97 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 460 of 963

Thread: Is atheism a religion[W:711:831]

  1. #451
    onomatopoeic
    mbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-17 @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,350

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka
    Correct, however the "A" and "an" still mean the SAME THING, I.E anti. Which was my point, exclusively semantic equivalence.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbig
    Yes and this 'semantic equivalence' doesn't work well in this case.

    A better analogy for what's happened here is:

    Your are minding your own business, going on about your daily life/work and this Fad (Religion, several actually/many contradictory) spring up around you (with ZERO proof/evidence)... and all of a sudden you are a "believer" for not tagging along.
    I suppose one can call/stretch that into 'a' or 'an' due to tyranny/terminology of the majority, but in No way does that constitute a positive belief system/Religion: the Claim in contention here.
    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    Theism implies a belief in the divine, atheism implies a lack of believe. What's so controversial?
    And how was your last post in that sequence responsive?
    It wasn't, it was an evasion attempt using intentionally deceptive language/wrong premise: merely "implies".
    Last edited by mbig; 08-17-13 at 03:37 PM.
    I'm personally sick of not being able to dunk a basketball because of racism.
    anon

  2. #452
    Fourum Addmean
    shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of the sodomizers
    Last Seen
    03-18-16 @ 09:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,758

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by mbig View Post
    [/quote=mbig]
    Yes and this 'semantic equivalence' doesn't work well in this case.

    A better analogy for what's happened here is:

    Your are minding your own business, going on about your daily life/work and this Fad (Religion, several actually/many contradictory) spring up around you (with ZERO proof/evidence)... and all of a sudden you are a "believer" for not tagging along. I suppose one can call/stretch that into 'a' or 'an' due to tyranny/terminology of the majority, but in No way does that constitute a positive belief system/Religion: the Claim in contention here.And how was your post responsive?
    It wasn't, it was an evasion attempt using intentionally deceptive language.
    This is incredibly unproductive and fruitless, may we disengage?
    Either I'm right or you're wrong.

  3. #453
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by hallam View Post
    Dictionary.com
    Atheism meets 2 and 3 of M-W definitions and 1, 2, and 3 of dictionary.com's definitions.[/quote]

    Definitions that define the word with the word are useless. You're looking up what a word means. Why would you define that word with itself? Makes No Sense.

    It's like defining particle as such:

    Particle:
    Noun,
    A small localized particle to which can be ascribed several physical or chemical particle properties such as volume or mass

    Useless.

    Atheism is a belief, regardless of if it is a religion or not.
    This is saying that bald is a type of hair color. Does that make any sense?

    The tenet/thing believed is "God's, God, your God doesn't exist." it is held by a group of people that has been categorized by society, "Atheists." The position that there is no proof of religion is the underlying opinion to support the over tenet.
    You are redefining Atheism. Atheism is once again, a lack of belief in deities. Whether or not someone moves past that into active denial is something else. You are trying to cast what is the core of atheism as a religion in the same way that saying bald is a type of hair color.

    "Disbelieving" is kind of like "irregardless". We created the term to describe something but disbelief, as a term, is confusing the very people who created it. There is no such thing as a lack of belief. You can believe in a lack of something which is what atheists are doing. People can believe in negative positions. But atheism is not a lack of a belief at any point.
    This is very, very, very wrong. Do you have a belief on everything that exists? What's your belief on a special type of giant isopod that only lives in a small area of the waters off the Antarctic? Had no idea what those were? Congratulation, you had a lack of belief.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  4. #454
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    You are trying to cast what is the core of atheism as a religion in the same way that saying bald is a type of hair color.
    Its like saying bald is a hair style.

  5. #455
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Actually, it's a perfect analogy. The fact that you don't recognize it explains why you're so wrong all the time.
    Have we regressed to the third grade level now? "You're so wrong all the time! Waaaaaaah!"

  6. #456
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Its like saying bald is a hair style.
    Style is a subjective term. Bedhair, helmethair, drunkenhair are all hair styles.

    Let's stick to actual definable terms.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  7. #457
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Style is a subjective term. Bedhair, helmethair, drunkenhair are all hair styles.

    Let's stick to actual definable terms.
    Dictionaries have been quoted, atheism meets the criteria to be a religion.

  8. #458
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-16-13 @ 05:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,817

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Dictionaries have been quoted, atheism meets the criteria to be a religion.
    Who do they call for the tax exemption? And what do you put on a tombstone, this:

  9. #459
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,774

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Have we regressed to the third grade level now? "You're so wrong all the time! Waaaaaaah!"
    Because you can't answer the question, as usual.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  10. #460
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,017

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Fortunately, 85% of the people on this forum appear to have a firm enough grasp on logic and language to understand that atheism isn't a religion, but for those 15% who do I'd be curious what they consider to not be religion.

Page 46 of 97 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •