View Poll Results: Is atheism a religion

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 16.31%
  • No

    118 83.69%
Page 45 of 97 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast
Results 441 to 450 of 963

Thread: Is atheism a religion[W:711:831]

  1. #441
    Fourum Addmean
    shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of the sodomizers
    Last Seen
    03-18-16 @ 09:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,758

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by mbig View Post
    Yes, and that analogy is badly flawed.
    Medical conditions, such as lack of limbs/Legs, does Not mean/does Not equate with you having an 'organized Belief in not walking'.
    Correct, however the "A" and "an" still mean the SAME THING, I.E anti. Which was my point, exclusively semantic equivalence.
    Either I'm right or you're wrong.

  2. #442
    onomatopoeic
    mbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-17 @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,350

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    Correct, however the "A" and "an" still mean the SAME THING, I.E anti. Which was my point, exclusively semantic equivalence.
    Yes and this 'semantic equivalence' doesn't work well in this case.

    A better analogy for what's happened here is:

    Your are minding your own business, going on about your daily life/work and this Fad (Religion, several actually/many contradictory) spring up around you (with ZERO proof/evidence)... and all of a sudden you are a "believer" for not tagging along. I suppose one can call/stretch that into 'a' or 'an' due to tyranny/terminology of the majority, but in No way does that constitute a positive belief system/Religion: the Claim in contention here.
    I'm personally sick of not being able to dunk a basketball because of racism.
    anon

  3. #443
    Fourum Addmean
    shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of the sodomizers
    Last Seen
    03-18-16 @ 09:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,758

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by mbig View Post
    Yes and this 'semantic equivalence' doesn't work well in this case.

    A better analogy for what's happened here is:

    Your are minding your own business, going on about your daily life/work and this Fad (Religion, several actually/many contradictory) spring up around you (with ZERO proof/evidence)... and all of a sudden you are a "believer" for not tagging along. I suppose one can call/stretch that into 'a' or 'an' due to tyranny/terminology of the majority, but in No way does that constitute a positive belief system/Religion: the Claim in contention here.
    Theism implies a belief in the divine, atheism implies a lack of believe. What's so controversial?
    Either I'm right or you're wrong.

  4. #444
    Educator Grendel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-02-13 @ 01:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    704

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    Wrong, I posited that a fractal rejection of theistic religions was the only way to be an atheist.
    But that's still no more or less a religion than you not believing in the Flying Spaghetti Monster is your religion. Or not believing in an extra moon that no one can see because it's invisible is your religion. Or not believing in Martians is your religion. It's still just a single dismissal of something you find preposterous. That's not a religion.
    "All that stuff I was taught about evolution, embryology, Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell [the bible] teaches us how to run all our public policy and everything in society." Rep. Paul Broun (R)

  5. #445
    Fourum Addmean
    shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of the sodomizers
    Last Seen
    03-18-16 @ 09:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,758

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
    But that's still no more or less a religion than you not believing in the Flying Spaghetti Monster is your religion. Or not believing in an extra moon that no one can see because it's invisible is your religion. Or not believing in Martians is your religion. It's still just a single dismissal of something you find preposterous. That's not a religion.
    Fractal. Fractal. Fractal. Fractal. Fractal. You have to disbelieve in all religions to be an atheist.
    Either I'm right or you're wrong.

  6. #446
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-16-13 @ 05:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,817

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    Fractal. Fractal. Fractal. Fractal. Fractal. You have to disbelieve in all religions to be an atheist.
    That's not hard to do. It's pretty easy if you know humanity.

  7. #447
    onomatopoeic
    mbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-17 @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,350

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    Theism implies a belief in the divine, atheism implies a lack of believe. What's so controversial?
    For openers, the Dishonest juvenile trickery you just tried.

    Theism does not merely "imply" belief in the divine" it IS belief in the divine.
    Atheism IS Lack of belief, which does NOT constitute a positive 'Religion' any more than, again, not believing in Astrology does.

    You have evaded and Dishonestly tried this trickery for the last few pages and NOT addressed my last post/posts at all.
    That is, simply lacking belief is NOT an organized 'Religion'. (no matter how one tries to evade with 'a' or 'an' for 'atheist', as a Secondary point).
    (ie, anhedonia may be a valid description of a medical condition, but it is not a religion/belief.)

    You simply aren't clever enough to pull off a wrong premise against someone who can show the flaws in your every deception attempt.
    Again, you didn't address my last, (#442) just tried more diversion/semantic gymnastics .. and you just aren't clever enough to pull this off against many of us here.
    Last edited by mbig; 08-17-13 at 03:20 PM.
    I'm personally sick of not being able to dunk a basketball because of racism.
    anon

  8. #448
    Fourum Addmean
    shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of the sodomizers
    Last Seen
    03-18-16 @ 09:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,758

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by mbig View Post
    For openers, the Dishonest juvenile trickery you just tried.

    Theism does not merely "imply" belief in the divine" it IS belief in the divine.
    Atheism IS Lack of belief, which does NOT constitute a positive 'Religion' any more than, again, not believing in Astrology does.

    You have evaded and Dishonestly tried this trickery for the last few pages and NOT addressed my last post/posts at all.
    That is, simply lacking belief is NOT an organized 'Religion'. (no matter how one tries to evade with 'a' or 'an' for atheist, as a Secondary point).

    You simply aren't clever enough to pull off a wrong premise against someone who can show the flaws in your every deception attempt.
    Again, you didn't address my last, just tried more diversion/semantic gymnastics .. and you just aren't clever enough to pull this off against many of us here.
    I wasn't aware the latter portion of our debate pertained to the OP at all. What's with all the ad homs? They're superfluous and make you appear ostentatious.
    Either I'm right or you're wrong.

  9. #449
    onomatopoeic
    mbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-17 @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,350

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    I wasn't aware the latter portion of our debate pertained to the OP at all. What's with all the ad homs? They're superfluous and make you appear ostentatious.
    And you just did it again.
    You tried to evade the issue of the debate YOU just brought up.. most "latter-ly."
    That is, Your whole attempt at "implies" was evasive-to-last-post/semantic nonsense and I outed it easily.

    You also, and again, on the overall/Main topic (excuse me!), have not in any way been able to show simply lacking belief constitutes a 'religion'. That's why you avoided my #442 above with the 'implies' stuff.

    You may call/want to paint that as "ad hom" or "ostentatious".... and I can understand why. Taking Faux-offense is oft an out for some.
    Just let's be honest on both the main debate and/or the most "latter" one ('implies'): they're over.
    Last edited by mbig; 08-17-13 at 03:24 PM.
    I'm personally sick of not being able to dunk a basketball because of racism.
    anon

  10. #450
    Fourum Addmean
    shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of the sodomizers
    Last Seen
    03-18-16 @ 09:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,758

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by mbig View Post
    And you just did it again.
    You tried to evade the issue of the debate YOU just brought up.. most "latter-ly."
    That is, Your whole attempt at "implied" was evasive-to-last-post/semantic BS and I outed it easily.

    You also, and again, on the overall/Main topic (excuse me!), have not in any way been able to show simply lacking belief constitutes a 'religion'.

    You may call/want to paint that as "ad hom" or "ostentatious'.... and I can understand why.
    Just let's be honest on both the main debate and/or the most "latter" one ('implies'): they're over.
    If I wanted to evade I wouldn't have replied. I was addressing a valid issue within your post. Also, my comparison with the "a" and "an, has nothing to do with equating anhedonia to atheism, a point which you continually implied. I simply gave the meaning of "a" and "an", showing that it isn't something used exclusively for atheism, and is merely a way to explain that something differs from something else. The only point in time that I even hinted at suggesting atheism was a religion was when I displayed a fallacy of equivalence, and that was merely to show that one cannot say that atheism isn't religion with (if A isn't part of B then A isn't all of B) logic. I agree that atheism is not a religion. You didn't "out" me in any respect, you misconstrued my post that concerned "a" and "an", at the fault of yourself and mine as well.
    Either I'm right or you're wrong.

Page 45 of 97 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •