View Poll Results: Is atheism a religion

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 16.31%
  • No

    118 83.69%
Page 44 of 97 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast
Results 431 to 440 of 963

Thread: Is atheism a religion[W:711:831]

  1. #431
    Educator Grendel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-02-13 @ 01:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    704

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    I can play the equivalence game too. If you're anti-prejudice, is not your prejudice against prejudice? You're applying logic to converse situations, by making the theistic beliefs the minority. Atheism isn't some derogatory word, it's just semantics, no different than anhedonia, etc.
    If everything you don't believe in is your religion, then we all have an infinite number of religions.
    "All that stuff I was taught about evolution, embryology, Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell [the bible] teaches us how to run all our public policy and everything in society." Rep. Paul Broun (R)

  2. #432
    Fourum Addmean
    shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of the sodomizers
    Last Seen
    03-18-16 @ 09:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,758

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
    If everything you don't believe in is your religion, then we all have an infinite number of religions.
    Exactly, which is why the logic of your equivalence was flawed. Everything isn't, it's merely everything that goes against the norm is atheism that also follows the set requisites for atheism. Atheism is a disbelief in ALL theistic beliefs, similarly, anhedonia is a lack of feeling in ALL hedonic practices.
    Either I'm right or you're wrong.

  3. #433
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by babilfish View Post
    ...

    Do you have any particular argument for why it would be a religion?
    Atheist chaplins. You have to belong to a religious institution in order to become a chaplin. The very word "chaplin" means a member of the chappel or church.

    In order for an atheist chaplin to exist, there has to be a church of atheism.

  4. #434
    Educator Grendel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-02-13 @ 01:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    704

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    Exactly, which is why the logic of your equivalence was flawed. Everything isn't, it's merely everything that goes against the norm is atheism that also follows the set requisites for atheism. Atheism is a disbelief in ALL theistic beliefs, similarly, anhedonia is a lack of feeling in ALL hedonic practices.
    Wait, what? Everything that goes against the norm? What do you mean?
    "All that stuff I was taught about evolution, embryology, Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell [the bible] teaches us how to run all our public policy and everything in society." Rep. Paul Broun (R)

  5. #435
    onomatopoeic
    mbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-17 @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,350

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    Exactly, which is why the logic of your equivalence was flawed. Everything isn't, it's merely everything that goes against the norm is atheism that also follows the set requisites for atheism. Atheism is a disbelief in ALL theistic beliefs, similarly, anhedonia is a lack of feeling in ALL hedonic practices.
    Everything you say is wrong on every topic. Same with Fisher.
    anhedonia may be considered a valid psychological condition, but in No way Constitutes an active belief system/Religion.
    Neurological/Psychological/MEDICAL conditions are not belief systems/Religions. (one can be a religionist or atheist along with any of them)
    Your reasoning/analogy is badly flawed.
    Last edited by mbig; 08-17-13 at 02:26 PM.
    I'm personally sick of not being able to dunk a basketball because of racism.
    anon

  6. #436
    Fourum Addmean
    shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of the sodomizers
    Last Seen
    03-18-16 @ 09:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,758

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
    Wait, what? Everything that goes against the norm? What do you mean?
    Yes, the norm being theism, therefore in order to be an atheist, you have to disagree with theism in a fractal manner. Making your point about "if you disbelieve in anything you're an atheist" moot.
    Either I'm right or you're wrong.

  7. #437
    Fourum Addmean
    shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of the sodomizers
    Last Seen
    03-18-16 @ 09:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,758

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by mbig View Post
    Everything you say is wrong on every topic. Same with Fisher.
    anhedonia may be considered a valid psychological condition, but in No way Constitutes an active belief system/Religion.
    Neurological/Psychological/MEDICAL conditions are not belief systems/Religions. (one can be a religionist or atheist in either case)
    Your reasoning is badly flawed.
    I was equating them on the basis of the semantical meaning of "a" and "an"
    Either I'm right or you're wrong.

  8. #438
    Educator Grendel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-02-13 @ 01:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    704

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    Yes, the norm being theism, therefore in order to be an atheist, you have to disagree with theism in a fractal manner. Making your point about "if you disbelieve in anything you're an atheist" moot.
    So you're saying that my religion is based on your beliefs? So, with Islam being the fastest growing religion, once that grows larger than Christianity, you'll be an atheist, because you won't believe in the norm, at that point?

    If not believing in the most popular idea is atheism, then you'll be an atheist at that point.
    "All that stuff I was taught about evolution, embryology, Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell [the bible] teaches us how to run all our public policy and everything in society." Rep. Paul Broun (R)

  9. #439
    onomatopoeic
    mbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-17 @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,350

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    I was equating them on the basis of the semantical meaning of "a" and "an"
    Yes, and that analogy is badly flawed.
    Medical conditions, such as lack of limbs/Legs, does Not mean/does Not equate with you having an 'organized Belief in not walking'.
    Last edited by mbig; 08-17-13 at 02:34 PM.
    I'm personally sick of not being able to dunk a basketball because of racism.
    anon

  10. #440
    Fourum Addmean
    shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of the sodomizers
    Last Seen
    03-18-16 @ 09:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,758

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
    So you're saying that my religion is based on your beliefs? So, with Islam being the fastest growing religion, once that grows larger than Christianity, you'll be an atheist, because you won't believe in the norm, at that point?

    If not believing in the most popular idea is atheism, then you'll be an atheist at that point.
    Wrong, I posited that a fractal rejection of theistic religions was the only way to be an atheist.
    Either I'm right or you're wrong.

Page 44 of 97 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •