View Poll Results: Is atheism a religion

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 16.31%
  • No

    118 83.69%
Page 43 of 97 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 963

Thread: Is atheism a religion[W:711:831]

  1. #421
    Educator Grendel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-02-13 @ 01:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    704

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    An atheist actively doesn't believe there's a god. That's a religious belief.
    First of all, it's not a religious belief. It's a scientific belief that a concept so foreign to all known laws of physics can be considered probable. That's not a religious belief. Just because someone else worships the idea of a super-natural gobblin, doesn't make my dismissal of the idea religious (based on their worship).

    Wikipedia:
    Religion is an organized collection of beliefs, cultural systems, and world views that relate humanity to the supernatural, and to spirituality.
    This does not describe the singular belief that there isn't a metaphysical universe ruled by a supernatural monster that's flying around in space.

    Merriam Webster: 1
    a : the state of a religious <a nun in her 20th year of religion>
    b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
    2
    : a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
    Still does not describe a disbelief in things that are extremely improbable.

    Dictionary dot com:

    1.
    a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
    2.
    a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
    Nope, still doesn't do it.

    We could go through every reference on language there is, and they'll all say the same thing. If you've redefined the word "religion" to mean "a belief or disbelief in something", you can't expect the rest of the world to start using your new definition just because you're so special.


    Second of all, a single religious belief is not a religion. Judaism, Christianity, Islam and Baha'i all believe in the same god, but they're all very different religions. To say that a belief or disbelief in a supernatural entity is, in itself, a religion would mean that those are all just different denominations of teh same religion, which is very far from any standard definition.

    I know you feel very strongly that the definition of "religion" you've made up is better than the one the rest of the English-speaking world uses, but that's not really meaningful to anyone but you.
    "All that stuff I was taught about evolution, embryology, Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell [the bible] teaches us how to run all our public policy and everything in society." Rep. Paul Broun (R)

  2. #422
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    There are different definitions of religion, so whether or not atheism is a religion depends upon to which definition one subscribes. If one goes with the superhuman deity definition of religion then the answer is no, but if one goes with shared belief about cause and nature of things, then yes.

  3. #423
    Educator Grendel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-02-13 @ 01:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    704

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    if one goes with shared belief about cause and nature of things, then yes.
    Still no. Atheism, in itself, doesn't share any belief about the cause and nature of things. One may believe the universe started in the big bang. One may believe it started at the end of the collapse of a previous universe -- sometimes known as the big bounce. One may believe that we do not, and cannot know, and that both of the aforementioned are likely wrong. One may believe that there are many, many universes, or only one.

    If you want to talk about "religiously held beliefs", that's different from "religion", though. For example, I believe, in the most absolute way, that the Earth is round. My determined belief in that doesn't make it a religion. I believe with certainty that there isn't a massless, invisible, extra-dimensional hippopotamus sitting on my head -- even though it's impossible to prove. That doesn't make it my religion. Not believing in a thousand ridiculous things doesn't mean I have a thousand a-thing religions.
    "All that stuff I was taught about evolution, embryology, Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell [the bible] teaches us how to run all our public policy and everything in society." Rep. Paul Broun (R)

  4. #424
    onomatopoeic
    mbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-17 @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,350

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder
    An atheist actively doesn't believe there's a god. That's a religious belief.
    First, that's not totally true.
    We believe, due to Lack of proof, or even Any Evidence, there's isn't/highly-probably-isn't a god.
    IF evidence surfaced of a god (which probably won't happen and probably wouldn't be your 'god', since there are so many), I think I can speak for any atheist in saying we'd be delighted at this amazing development and it would then be demonstrated for us precisely what he's done/doing.

    Former poster here C Gerstle:
    "To call Atheism a religion is to call bald a hair color.

    To be honest, "atheist" is a word that shouldn't even exist. No one has to acknowledge themselves as a "non-alchemist" or "non-astrologist."

    The word "atheist" only exists because dogmatists outnumber the skeptics in this case."

    [.....]

    IOW, Does you Not believing in Astrology make you an active 'believer'/religionist in something else?
    No.
    It's only because, as Gerstle says, that people who happen TO believe are in great Majority, that Non-believers even get Painted with the/A word 'Atheist', much less constitute a 'religion'.
    Last edited by mbig; 08-17-13 at 02:07 PM.
    I'm personally sick of not being able to dunk a basketball because of racism.
    anon

  5. #425
    Fourum Addmean
    shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of the sodomizers
    Last Seen
    03-18-16 @ 09:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,758

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
    Still no. Atheism, in itself, doesn't share any belief about the cause and nature of things. One may believe the universe started in the big bang. One may believe it started at the end of the collapse of a previous universe -- sometimes known as the big bounce. One may believe that we do not, and cannot know, and that both of the aforementioned are likely wrong. One may believe that there are many, many universes, or only one.

    If you want to talk about "religiously held beliefs", that's different from "religion", though. For example, I believe, in the most absolute way, that the Earth is round. My determined belief in that doesn't make it a religion. I believe with certainty that there isn't a massless, invisible, extra-dimensional hippopotamus sitting on my head -- even though it's impossible to prove. That doesn't make it my religion. Not believing in a thousand ridiculous things doesn't mean I have a thousand a-thing religions.
    Atheism rules out intelligent design, is intelligent design not a belief of the cause and nature of things? Therefore, does atheism not concern the cause and nature of things?
    Either I'm right or you're wrong.

  6. #426
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
    Still no. Atheism, in itself, doesn't share any belief about the cause and nature of things. One may believe the universe started in the big bang. One may believe it started at the end of the collapse of a previous universe -- sometimes known as the big bounce. One may believe that we do not, and cannot know, and that both of the aforementioned are likely wrong. One may believe that there are many, many universes, or only one.

    If you want to talk about "religiously held beliefs", that's different from "religion", though. For example, I believe, in the most absolute way, that the Earth is round. My determined belief in that doesn't make it a religion. I believe with certainty that there isn't a massless, invisible, extra-dimensional hippopotamus sitting on my head -- even though it's impossible to prove. That doesn't make it my religion. Not believing in a thousand ridiculous things doesn't mean I have a thousand a-thing religions.
    Well it proves my post--depends on one's definition. That you subscribe to one particular definition does not preclude the other definitions from leading one to a different conclusion.

  7. #427
    Educator Grendel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-02-13 @ 01:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    704

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    Atheism rules out intelligent design, is intelligent design not a belief of the cause and nature of things? Therefore, does atheism not concern the cause and nature of things?
    Science rules out intelligent design.

    Anyway, not believing in one thing or another isn't a religion. For example, if you don't believe in the FSM, is your religion aspaghettiism? Or is your religion not defined by what other people believe? If you don't believe there's a guy with an elephant's nose and 4 arms that brings you good luck, is your religion aganeshism? Of course not.

    Your religion isn't defined by what other people believe in.
    "All that stuff I was taught about evolution, embryology, Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell [the bible] teaches us how to run all our public policy and everything in society." Rep. Paul Broun (R)

  8. #428
    Educator Grendel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-02-13 @ 01:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    704

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Well it proves my post--depends on one's definition. That you subscribe to one particular definition does not preclude the other definitions from leading one to a different conclusion.
    I went through 3 references. We can do more. They'll all say the same thing.
    "All that stuff I was taught about evolution, embryology, Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell [the bible] teaches us how to run all our public policy and everything in society." Rep. Paul Broun (R)

  9. #429
    Fourum Addmean
    shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of the sodomizers
    Last Seen
    03-18-16 @ 09:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,758

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
    Science rules out intelligent design.

    Anyway, not believing in one thing or another isn't a religion. For example, if you don't believe in the FSM, is your religion aspaghettiism? Or is your religion not defined by what other people believe? If you don't believe there's a guy with an elephant's nose and 4 arms that brings you good luck, is your religion aganeshism? Of course not.

    Your religion isn't defined by what other people believe in.
    I can play the equivalence game too. If you're anti-prejudice, is not your prejudice against prejudice? You're applying logic to converse situations, by making the theistic beliefs the minority. Atheism isn't some derogatory word, it's just semantics, no different than anhedonia, etc.
    Either I'm right or you're wrong.

  10. #430
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
    I went through 3 references. We can do more. They'll all say the same thing.
    strange when I googled it they did not all say the same thing.

Page 43 of 97 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •