View Poll Results: Is atheism a religion

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 16.31%
  • No

    118 83.69%
Page 41 of 97 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 410 of 963

Thread: Is atheism a religion[W:711:831]

  1. #401
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Vehemence does not equal being religious or anything else for that matter.

  2. #402
    The Light of Truth
    Northern Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,968

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    I would, actually, but let's say they're not: do Taoists have a religion, then? Or are they just philosophers? If you say Taoism isn't a religion, then we're good. You're consistent, anyway.



    How many doctrines and practices? You should have a list or something, yes? If there's a very specific thing needed, you should be able to tell me what it is. How many doctrines? Of what kind? For how long?



    Some people aren't religious, don't believe in god (or that god doesn't exist, for that matter) and consider atheism to be a religion. The point is what someone 'thinks' about their beliefs is kinda irrelevant. I can say I love Mohammed, think he's the true prophet, and then turn around and say I'm not religious. It doesn't make it true. Just like how atheists go on and on about how they know there's no god, but then say that that's not a religious belief.



    No one said it was a system.



    Which is a religious belief.



    No, I'm not. An atheist actively doesn't believe there's a god. That's a religious belief.

    I'm coming to the conclusion that some atheists are so rigidly and doggedly against the idea of a god (often just known as 'religion', but that doesn't entail all of it, as we've seen) that they bristle at the idea of "religious" or "religion" describing them in any way whatsoever. So much so that they'll argue about for damn near 40 pages. The Pavolovian response in them is so strong that they can't help but fight against the very word. But that's too bad. The more they believe, the more they care, the more they fight...the more it describes them.
    There's not much point in replying to this at length. You keep asserting it's religion despite proof to the contrary. You are obviously not very versed in philosophy otherwise you would see the obvious holes in your arguments.

    You need to learn the difference between religion, philosophy, and epistemology. Your arguments are mostly illogical. A single strong belief is not the basis of religion. You haven't proven that atheism is religion other than your say so.

    Just imagine someone who has never been taught to worship a God. They would go about life not thinking about God, or anything related to divine hierarchy. You're telling me that that person would be religious? That doesn't make sense.

  3. #403
    Professor
    Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,179

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post

    Just imagine someone who has never been taught to worship a God. They would go about life not thinking about God, or anything related to divine hierarchy. You're telling me that that person would be religious? That doesn't make sense.
    Not necessarily. Deistic belief systems have been around since the dawn of civilization, and avidly expressed in every known human society ever since. Indeed, deistic belief systems were likely the organizing principle around which human civilization was able to become manifest. Therefore, it would be in complete contradiction to what we know of human history to suggest that someone who has never been taught to worship God would not suddenly manifest some sort of deistic cognitions independent of any preexisting social influences. To disagree would be to set oneself upon the absurdity of an eternal regression in search of the primeval atheist, and good luck with that.
    It's like you're dreaming of Gorgonzola when it's clearly Brie time, baby. Step into my office.

  4. #404
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,400

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    Not necessarily. Deistic belief systems have been around since the dawn of civilization, and avidly expressed in every known human society ever since. Indeed, deistic belief systems were likely the organizing principle around which human civilization was able to become manifest. Therefore, it would be in complete contradiction to what we know of human history to suggest that someone who has never been taught to worship God would not suddenly manifest some sort of deistic cognitions independent of any preexisting social influences.
    ?

    de·ism
    n.
    The belief, based solely on reason, in a God who created the universe and then abandoned it, assuming no control over life, exerting no influence on natural phenomena, and giving no supernatural revelation.
    deist - definition of deist by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.


    To disagree would be to set oneself upon the absurdity of an eternal regression in search of the primeval atheist, and good luck with that.
    Don't you mean "primeval adeist"?

  5. #405
    Professor
    Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,179

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post

    Don't you mean "primeval adeist"?
    Go ask your mother.

    And give the old mare a swift kick in her arse for giving me a son with tapioca pudding for a brain!

    Now that's a good lad...


    ...and get me a beer from the fridge while you're at, boy!
    Last edited by Sig; 08-16-13 at 09:50 PM.
    It's like you're dreaming of Gorgonzola when it's clearly Brie time, baby. Step into my office.

  6. #406
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:40 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,986

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    Go ask your mother.

    And give the old mare a swift kick in her arse for giving me a son with tapioca pudding for a brain!

    Now that's a good lad...


    ...and get me a beer from the fridge while you're at, boy!
    You are just as ridiculous as before... well done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  7. #407
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,400

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    .
    Were you using the wrong word or presenting a new theory?

  8. #408
    Professor
    Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,179

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Were you using the wrong word or presenting a new theory?
    That's all I'm allowed to say around here without incurring an infraction.


    ...uh, oh... I've said too much already!
    It's like you're dreaming of Gorgonzola when it's clearly Brie time, baby. Step into my office.

  9. #409
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,400

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    ...uh, oh... I've said too much already!
    Not at all. Please, enlighten us about that bizarre use of improper terminology. It looked like an argument posted by a parrot that managed to get one word wrong. Was it parroting and a mistake on the basic term because of a lack of real understanding, or was it a new theory?

  10. #410
    Professor
    Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,179

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Not at all. Please, enlighten us about that bizarre use of improper terminology. It looked like an argument posted by a parrot that managed to get one word wrong. Was it parroting and a mistake on the basic term because of a lack of real understanding, or was it a new theory?
    I'm sorry, but all I can say is:





    ...anything more could get me in trouble.
    It's like you're dreaming of Gorgonzola when it's clearly Brie time, baby. Step into my office.

Page 41 of 97 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •