View Poll Results: Is atheism a religion

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 16.31%
  • No

    118 83.69%
Page 37 of 97 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 963

Thread: Is atheism a religion[W:711:831]

  1. #361
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    Logical persuasion is not a key feature of religion, not the way that empirical material reductionists do it. You can't call atheists religious simply because they are trying to demonstrate the lack of proof for something. There's no real doctrine behind that, and no set of principles they are following. the 'a' in atheist means an absence. It would be like looking into a vacuum and claiming there is something there, when really there isn't.
    It's a belief about the way the universe is. That's also what a religion is. Hence the alignment.

    Some religious people would like to paint atheists as religious because that's their paradigm of thought that they live in. For centuries, most of the world lived in a reality of competing categorical doctrines, so it was necessary to always view 'the other' as having an opposing set of beliefs that were blasphemous. Atheism challenges the religious because there is no doctrine to grasp onto for the sake of argument. Atheism is abstinence and non-participation. You can't argue with it.
    And some people are totally non-religious at all and consider it like a religion. This makes atheists made. Their anger, though, doesn't change that.

    One caveat I have is that militant atheists like Dawkins are making it their mission to dismantle religion. I think when it transfers from pacifism to active attack based on principle, then you could say that there are elements of dogma there. Nonetheless, that does not make atheism a faith-based system of any kind.
    Sure it is. It's a belief system. Beliefs about the nature of the universe and how it came to be.

    What religious people are trying to describe is actually dogma, not a tangible religion. Dogma can strike anyone, religious or not. It happens when people think their view of reality, their epistemology, is incontrovertibly true, and they're willing to fight over it. IMO dogma is the #1 problem on this planet. Many humans cannot live and let live so we continue to succumb to the base nature of conflict.
    Now on that, we certainly agree. If more people understood that they know NOTHING for 100%, the world would be better off.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  2. #362
    Advisor Steelplate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    10-21-13 @ 09:15 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    364

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    I see...well, I don't waste my time on such. My observation is that it's exercise in futility. So you might want to exclude the word "YOU" in your comment "Some of YOU"....as you haven't witnessed me trying to convert anybody.
    Well...the emphasis was actually on the word SOME(which I capitalized just as I did here)....."you" refers to atheists....of which only SOME practice trying to convert believers into non-believers.

  3. #363
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    Give me the elements necessary to meet the definition of "Religion"...and then apply that to the elements related to atheism.
    A belief system about the nature of the universe. I've said this in various ways many times.

    I'm here defending the fact that atheism isn't a religion. We have believes that aren't related to structured elements that most all religions have.
    But not all. So what makes the ones that don't have those elements 'religions', while atheism is not?

    One again...Having Beliefs...don't constitute a religion.
    If it's about the hows and whys of all life and existence, it sure is.

    OldWorld...as I said before...let's just agree that we don't agree with each other's points. You've made it clear that you will continue to claim that a belief is a religion.
    And you've made it clear you'll continue to claim it's not. We're not ruining each others days, I imagine, so why must I stop saying it?

    So...if you feel compelled to carry on with your claim...


    Do everybody a favor and give us something more than your opinion that a belief by atheists is in fact a religion. There are a lot of references and information available to formulate a more precise way of constructing your argument.
    I can't give more than my opinion. Would you like some facts about the English language or something? It wasn't good enough last time, why would it be good enough now?

    Religion | Define Religion at Dictionary.com

    re·li·gion [ri-lij-uhn] Show IPA
    noun
    1.
    a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
    2.
    a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
    3.
    the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.
    4.
    the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.
    5.
    the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.
    I thought it was pretty clear. What seems to be the boggle?

    You're just making a declaration...and aren't providing anything of substance as to how you've arrived at your claim.
    I'm using the English definition of the word religion. What else can I do?

    a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  4. #364
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,033

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Steelplate View Post
    Well...the emphasis was actually on the word SOME(which I capitalized just as I did here)....."you" refers to atheists....of which only SOME practice trying to convert believers into non-believers.
    In my experience that's mostly been a quality of people in their teens and early twenties. After that most atheists realize that "converting" people to atheism is a pointless endeavor. So in that respect atheist attempts at conversion are more the result of youthful zealotry than anything else. If it wasn't atheism it would be...well, anything else.

  5. #365
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,499

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    A belief system about the nature of the universe. I've said this in various ways many times.

    I'm using the English definition of the word religion. What else can I do?

    a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe
    Now your being intellectually dishonest...but this is my last reply to your post as you've demonstrated that your constitutionally incapable of dealing with the facts.

    As far as your definition posted...why didn't you include the total content of the definition...and it affect the meaning. So for your reading pleasure...

    1.
    a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.


    You continue to try to put a square peg in a round hole.

    Now...I'm no longer entertained by your posts. Have a good day.

  6. #366
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,860

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    Logical persuasion is not a key feature of religion, not the way that empirical material reductionists do it. You can't call atheists religious simply because they are trying to demonstrate the lack of proof for something. There's no real doctrine behind that, and no set of principles they are following. the 'a' in atheist means an absence. It would be like looking into a vacuum and claiming there is something there, when really there isn't.

    Some religious people would like to paint atheists as religious because that's their paradigm of thought that they live in. For centuries, most of the world lived in a reality of competing categorical doctrines, so it was necessary to always view 'the other' as having an opposing set of beliefs that were blasphemous. Atheism challenges the religious because there is no doctrine to grasp onto for the sake of argument. Atheism is abstinence and non-participation. You can't argue with its existence because it's a non-existence.

    One caveat I have is that militant atheists like Dawkins are making it their mission to dismantle religion. I think when it transfers from pacifism to active attack based on principle, then you could say that there are elements of dogma there. Nonetheless, that does not make atheism a faith-based system of any kind.

    What religious people are trying to describe is actually dogma, not a tangible religion. Dogma can strike anyone, religious or not. It happens when people think their view of reality, their epistemology, is incontrovertibly true, and they're willing to fight over it. IMO dogma is the #1 problem on this planet. Many humans cannot live and let live so we continue to succumb to the base nature of conflict.
    But can't atheists be just as dogmatic in there rejection of religion as theists are in their beliefs? I must edit this post because you did indeed make that point. Sorry

  7. #367
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,774

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I don't know how you arrived at that, but it sure isn't because of anything I said.
    There seem to be a lot of people around here right now that are so wound up in their dogmatic positions that they can't hear anything that anyone else has to say. I've found it useless to talk to them and therefore, am largely going to stop and focus on reasonable, rational people.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #368
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    Now your being intellectually dishonest...but this is my last reply to your post as you've demonstrated that your constitutionally incapable of dealing with the facts.
    I thought we were going to just agree to disagree? Now you seem adamant on making sure your opinion is the only valid one. How proselytizing of you.

    As far as your definition posted...why didn't you include the total content of the definition...and it affect the meaning. So for your reading pleasure...
    I did. Are you saying I didn't post it? I linked to it and posted it in its entirety. Are you lying or just accidentally misrepresenting me?

    1.
    a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
    Do you know what "especially" means? It means that everything that precedes it is true, but the subsequent portion needs to be even more scrutinized. Everything that precedes it, though, is still true. Or do I need to now link to the definition of "especially", copy and paste the result, and have you claim that I didn't?

    You continue to try to put a square peg in a round hole.
    You obviously have extremely strong beliefs about the nature of the universe. I'm unsure why you don't like that being recognized as religious. Can you tell me why it bothers you so?

    Now...I'm no longer entertained by your posts. Have a good day.
    Goodbye!
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  9. #369
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    There seem to be a lot of people around here right now that are so wound up in their dogmatic positions that they can't hear anything that anyone else has to say. I've found it useless to talk to them and therefore, am largely going to stop and focus on reasonable, rational people.
    Ain't that the truth.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  10. #370
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    How ironic is it that some atheists have such a martyrdom complex (up on that cross, get it?), that they can't even accept the idea that a belief about the nature and origins of the universe is religious in nature even when it comes from someone that doesn't believe in god? Wild.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

Page 37 of 97 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •