View Poll Results: Is atheism a religion

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 16.31%
  • No

    118 83.69%
Page 33 of 97 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 963

Thread: Is atheism a religion[W:711:831]

  1. #321
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,033

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    Because it's a belief about it. It doesn't matter how often you think about it. I believe that Halle Barry is attractive, but even if I haven't thought about it in 10 years, it doesn't change what my belief is. I'm agnostic. I don't give a **** about god or religions or cults or whatever. I care not at all, outside of the socio-political ramifications of those beliefs. But if someone actively believes something...yeah, that's the same as a religion.

    Unless we're now saying Taoism isn't a religion. If not, fine. If it is...then so is atheism.
    Then the "belief" that the sun will rise tomorrow qualifies as religion, which is a criminal abuse of language and logic.

  2. #322
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Then the "belief" that the sun will rise tomorrow qualifies as religion, which is a criminal abuse of language and logic.
    If you think any belief can have it's own religion.

    But a religion is a belief about mankind's place in existence. You don't think god exists. That's a belief about mankind's place in existence.

    I don't understand why some atheists are so violently against acknowledging that. What does it change? Why do you care?
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  3. #323
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,033

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    If you think any belief can have it's own religion.

    But a religion is a belief about mankind's place in existence. You don't think god exists. That's a belief about mankind's place in existence.

    I don't understand why some atheists are so violently against acknowledging that. What does it change? Why do you care?
    Because the term and its definitions being applied to us are the opposite of what we are, what we think and how we feel. And as I said, it's an abuse of language and logic.

    Which also leads me to believe that 98% of claims that we're religious is really just trolling, though the remaining 2% may actually just be that stupid.
    Last edited by Cardinal; 08-16-13 at 01:48 PM.

  4. #324
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Because the term and its definitions being applied to us are the opposite of what we are, what we think and how we feel. And as I said, it's an abuse of language and logic.
    You have a belief about mankind's place in existence. Don't pretend you don't.

    Which also leads me to believe that 98% of claims that we're religious is really just trolling, though the remaining 2% may actually just be that stupid.
    I see you're upset. Sit down. Let's relax.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  5. #325
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,033

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    You have a belief about mankind's place in existence. Don't pretend you don't.



    I see you're upset. Sit down. Let's relax.
    Not upset, just pointing out fact. Anybody insisting on atheism being religious who's not trolling really just doesn't have any grasp on language and logic. Simple as that.

  6. #326
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,499

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    If you think any belief can have it's own religion.

    But a religion is a belief about mankind's place in existence. You don't think god exists. That's a belief about mankind's place in existence.

    I don't understand why some atheists are so violently against acknowledging that. What does it change? Why do you care?
    I disagree. Belief in scientific information and a religion doesn't compare.

    As an atheist, I subscribe to the scientific "explanation" regarding the origin of the universe. It has nothing to do with humankind's place in existence. I have no desire to build institutions used to give praise to science or worship it. I don't go around quoting scientific scriptures...or theories, if you prefer. I don't have any aspiration to start a TV science ministry to beg for money to spread scientific gospel. In fact, I don't know any atheists that do any of the aforementioned.

    Atheists have an "absence of belief" regarding supernatural beings and especially one that is the creator of the universe. In other words...god just doesn't compute in our minds. So there's no curious need to ponder the possibility of a god existing.

    The multitude of religions, which have evolved over time... explanations vary about the creation of the universe...and the meaning and purpose of humankind. But thus far there isn't a preponderance of evidence (meaning more likely true than not) that can be extrapolated from religious documents or tenets...to support the stories that they espouse to be true.

    A thousand years before Christ...Homer created a story called the Illiad, which included the Odyssey, which was polytheist, and many people of the time believe it to be true. It was a way for them to make sense of this complex world...and beyond. The same applies to religions today. They have convinced people that they ability to explain our existence...our meaning and purpose. Obviously a lot of people buy it. I don't. Atheists don't. I feel quite content with the information I use to make sense of my existence. But over my lifetime...it's changed and will continue to change as science gathers more verifiable information.

    Why do atheist care? We care because we believe that the First Amendment applies to us all. And that separation of church and state is vital to our stability as a nation.

  7. #327
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Not upset, just pointing out fact. Anybody insisting on atheism being religious who's not trolling really just doesn't have any grasp on language and logic. Simple as that.
    So religion isn't a belief about mankind's place in existence? Ooookay.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  8. #328
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    I disagree. Belief in scientific information and a religion doesn't compare.

    As an atheist, I subscribe to the scientific "explanation" regarding the origin of the universe. It has nothing to do with humankind's place in existence. I have no desire to build institutions used to give praise to science or worship it. I don't go around quoting scientific scriptures...or theories, if you prefer. I don't have any aspiration to start a TV science ministry to beg for money to spread scientific gospel. In fact, I don't know any atheists that do any of the aforementioned.
    I don't know any Taoists that do, either.

    Atheists have an "absence of belief" regarding supernatural beings and especially one that is the creator of the universe. In other words...god just doesn't compute in our minds. So there's no curious need to ponder the possibility of a god existing.
    But a belief that they know what role, if any, humans have in the universe.

    The multitude of religions, which have evolved over time... explanations vary about the creation of the universe...and the meaning and purpose of humankind. But thus far there isn't a preponderance of evidence (meaning more likely true than not) that can be extrapolated from religious documents or tenets...to support the stories that they espouse to be true.
    I agree. I believe in none of them.

    A thousand years before Christ...Homer created a story called the Illiad, which included the Odyssey, which was polytheist, and many people of the time believe it to be true. It was a way for them to make sense of this complex world...and beyond. The same applies to religions today. They have convinced people that they ability to explain our existence...our meaning and purpose. Obviously a lot of people buy it. I don't. Atheists don't. I feel quite content with the information I use to make sense of my existence. But over my lifetime...it's changed and will continue to change as science gathers more verifiable information.
    I agree, but the Iliad and Odyssey are two different things.

    Why do atheist care? We care because we believe that the First Amendment applies to us all. And that separation of church and state is vital to our stability as a nation.
    That's why they get mad when someone points out that they have a belief structure just religions do?
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  9. #329
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,499

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    I don't know any Taoists that do, either.

    But a belief that they know what role, if any, humans have in the universe.

    I agree. I believe in none of them.

    I agree, but the Iliad and Odyssey are two different things.

    That's why they get mad when someone points out that they have a belief structure just religions do?
    Well, you haven't outlined any belief structure that you claim exist. How does atheists absences of belief in a creator of the universe...compare to a religious discipline?

    Oh, the Odyssey is kind of a sequel created by Homer...but there are polytheist characters involved. And actually Homer didn't create his stories on paper, they were handed down over a couple of hundred years before they were actually penned on a document made from materials of the time. I suspect that like the bible for instance, the stories were reinvented over time.

    I don't think that I could be more clear on how atheists don't hold any form of religious doctrine built around an absence of belief in a creator or the meaning and purpose of humankind, which is used to perpetuate tenets over time. Scientific information is in constant flux. That's not the fundamental case with religions. However, we do know that translations have been way more the impetus for any changes in content and context, but the primary message is intended to remain constant.

    I don't have a clue as to "what role humankind plays"???? I don't know any atheists they claim that they do. Humankind is a product of evolution. We can't attach our existence to an intended design, purpose or meaning. For there to be a "role" for humankind, there has to be an author who created the story for the role to be played out.

  10. #330
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,774

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    You could be right, yet also worth noting that religion is one of the few things people will lay down and die for. It's that powerful.
    Yes, delusion can be very powerful.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

Page 33 of 97 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •