View Poll Results: Is atheism a religion

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 16.31%
  • No

    118 83.69%
Page 32 of 97 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 963

Thread: Is atheism a religion[W:711:831]

  1. #311
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    ????

    I can say that the character of Walter White is a drug dealer and very egotistical, even if he doesn't really exist.
    I guess. It just sounded weird. I don't usually talk about fictional characters as if they're real, but maybe that's just me. Like I'd probably say "in breaking bad, the character of walter white is egotistical."

    But point taken, you're right.

  2. #312
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    Sure it does. It says that what is is what is. And that's all.
    It says nothing about mankind's place in the omniverse.

    Your criteria is that for a belief system to be a religion it must be "as a belief system about mankind's place in the omniverse."

    Atheism has no beliefs about mankind's place in the omniverse, therefore, by your own definition, atheism is not a religion.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  3. #313
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,143

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Atheism is nothing of the sort. It is the state of not believing in gods. Full stop. If you talk about anything else, you're no longer talking about atheism, but something else.
    Yes, and based on what?

    Whether or not deities should be accepted is a question of reality.

    I am not describing what atheism is so much as I am describing the field of philosophy is belongs to.

    I was attempting to see if a different explanation of trying to get someone to understand what it is to question what is knowable might work. Nope. Apparently some people can't learn no matter who it's explained to them.

  4. #314
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-08-13 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,114

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    He is correct, you are wrong.
    Atheism is the condition of being without theistic beliefs and alternatively the disbelief in the existence of deities. In antiquity, atheism was represented by Epicureanism. It disappeared from European philosophy when Christianity became dominant. During the Age of Enlightenment, atheism re-emerged as an accusation against those who questioned the religious status quo, but by the late 18th century it had become the avowed position of a growing minority. By the 20th century, atheism had become the state-supported position of countries governed by communism, as well as the dominant position amongst scientists, rationalists, and humanists.
    Atheism - Definition | WordIQ.com

    Agnosticism is the philosophical and theological view that the existence of God, gods or deities is either unknown or inherently unknowable. The term and the related agnostic were coined by Thomas Henry Huxley in 1869 and are also used to describe those who are unconvinced or noncommittal about the existence of deities as well and other matters of religions. The word agnostic comes from the Greek a (no) and gnosis (knowledge). Agnosticism is not to be confused with a view specifically opposing the doctrine of gnosis and Gnosticism—these are religious concepts that are not generally related to agnosticism.
    Agnosticism - Definition | WordIQ.com

  5. #315
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,040

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    How can something that doesn't exist be uncaring?
    Characters in fictional stories dont actually exist either, but one can analyse the character and determine the state of that character. Which is exactly what I did.

    For example: The Governor on the walking dead is a asshole.

    You cant really accuse me of believing that the Governor is a real, just because I noted the nature of his character in a fictional tv show.

    The bible is just folklore and the character in it named god is a uncaring asshole. I dont need to believe that the character exists in reality to make that observation.

    BTW Santa Claus is jolly.

  6. #316
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,040

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Good for you. Nobody's making you believe in anything you don't want to believe in.
    Of course I dont believe in anything I dont want to believe in.

    Nice dodge though.

    The bible is folklore, it fits the definition of the term. Im not sure why you are trying to deny that fact. Well unless you dont understand the meaning of the word? Perhaps you should look it up?

  7. #317
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    It says nothing about mankind's place in the omniverse.

    Your criteria is that for a belief system to be a religion it must be "as a belief system about mankind's place in the omniverse."

    Atheism has no beliefs about mankind's place in the omniverse, therefore, by your own definition, atheism is not a religion.
    It doesn't? It doesn't say that life is just what we see and that's it?
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  8. #318
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    If God could be defined, why would we call Him simply "God?" The mystery is part of His plan.

    I'm tired of this.... going round and round. Either disprove the Christian God, or don't waste my time. **** or get off the pot, man.

    I don't need to "define" the Christian God, you know damn well what God I'm talking about. It's the same one Christians have worshiped for the last couple thousand years, you know, the backbone of Western Civilization.
    Fine, I'll play it your whiny way, instead of the actual challenge I offered you. Your specific interpretation of the myriad interpretations of the Christian god (we're assuming no trinity for the moment, but you won't even commit to that one way or the other) is a logical impossibility because he a) gives us free will, b) fashions our souls individually, and c) punishes those souls based on whether or not we believe in him. Those three facts can't be true. If we're punished merely for thinking something, we certainly don't have free will. If we're designed individually, we don't even have a choice in what we'll think anyway. Some of us have skeptical personalities, and some do not. None of that is consistent with any sort of rational system of rewards or punishment, and since it is supposed to apply to and motivate human beings, it must operate in a rational fashion to be effective. Except that telling us about afterlife and judgment circumvents free will anyway, since it is a threat of force to coerce us to change our minds, so no free will either way. Free will is a big part of the Christian god myth.

    However, I'm just as bored with this as you are, because you're not playing by the rules. I have no interest in trying to figure out which god you want to offer or what its parameters are. I could have offered that the timeframe asserted to the life of Jesus is fictional as well. The census that supposedly coincided with his birth never happened, nor was Judea actually properly governed by Rome at the time, and thus wouldn't have been subject to it anyway, nor would any such census require people to go to other cities where their ancestors lived. No Roman census ever required anyone to do that. That never happened, and yet is a central fixture in the story of the gospels. Meanwhile, it is said to have taken place when Herod was the king of the region, and while Cyrenius was the governor of Syria. But Cyrenius was appointed only after Herod's death. So not only did such a census never take place, but it is claimed to have taken place during a time period that did not exist.

    I could have offered that, but you haven't yet claimed whether or not your god requires the stories to be accurate.

    Honestly, Grimm, this entire thread is just you flailing around and accomplishing nothing, refusing to use the same words, terms, and ideas as everyone else, and sticking your fingers in your ears and trying to shout over everyone else. I doubt you've learned anything from this thread.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  9. #319
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,999

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Whose perception?

    At the end of the day, we know the truth to be one of two things: A.) God/s exist/s or B.) There is no god.

    Both cannot be true, neither cannot be true.

    We cannot prove either one. Thus, it becomes a matter of belief.

    It's pretty clear what you believe. I know what I believe. As for everyone else, they're free to believe what they want.

    I happen to believe God chooses his own flock. If you've heard the word of God and you believe in Him, it's because He wants you in his flock. If you've heard the Word but chosen not to believe, it's in God's hands.
    You don't understand the most basic aspects of what I believe. Do you spend your day actively "believing" that President Obama isn't going to going to come over to your house today and ask to watch Sons of Anarchy with you? If you don't think he'll do that, does that make you an "-a-Obama-will-visit-you-ist"? Or do you simply not take the idea seriously because there's no good reason to think that's something he would do? It's the same here with atheists and God. The overwhelming majority of us don't spend a single second on the topic of God (except when it comes up in debates of course), we just don't have any reason to believe in God. How that translates into "religion" in some people's minds is abstract beyond comprehension for me.

  10. #320
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    How that translates into "religion" in some people's minds is abstract beyond comprehension for me.
    Because it's a belief about it. It doesn't matter how often you think about it. I believe that Halle Barry is attractive, but even if I haven't thought about it in 10 years, it doesn't change what my belief is. I'm agnostic. I don't give a **** about god or religions or cults or whatever. I care not at all, outside of the socio-political ramifications of those beliefs. But if someone actively believes something...yeah, that's the same as a religion.

    Unless we're now saying Taoism isn't a religion. If not, fine. If it is...then so is atheism.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

Page 32 of 97 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •