View Poll Results: Is atheism a religion

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 16.31%
  • No

    118 83.69%
Page 26 of 97 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 963

Thread: Is atheism a religion[W:711:831]

  1. #251
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    I'd say it's a religion, if we define a religion as a belief system about mankind's place in the omniverse.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  2. #252
    Guru
    brothern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,170
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    My parents wanted me to do a lot of things that I ended up rejecting later in life. I'm not buying this at all, just speculation and anecdotal nonsense. Provide some evidence.
    The decision that controls one's "eternal fate" is one that is much larger than career decisions, partner choices, parent's visions, alcohol & drugs or other taboo subjects. It's why atheists are still the most distrusted and invisible minorities in American public life ... even more than gays (like me), Muslims, immigrants or you name the out group.

    Beyond that? The simple truth of the matter is that if you were born in Viking Scandinavia, modern Saudi Arabia, Incan Peru or almost any part of India; you'd believe in Odin, Allah, Viracocha or Brahman respectively. However you were born here in the wonderful modern Western world, and that means your god is God.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    You don't think religion is a big enough part of people's lives that they would take the time, in adulthood, to examine their beliefs?
    No. It takes a rare person to completely change a core belief. Especially when it's a belief so fundamental, it holds most people together.

    I mean, if your beliefs in God are challenged ... it's an attack on your idea that there's a personal savior, guiding you through your life. It's the denial that you'll be able to see your loved ones again, that you will see a better, eternal life or that justice actually exists in the world (i.e. evildoers will eventually be punished). That your community is cobbled together by a mistaken thought. That the one thing you did ten years ago that still makes you feel guilty (remember it?) CANNOT actually be resolved, forgotten and forgiven by a simple thought in your head. It is a challenge to your definition of "life's purpose" ... and most importantly, it is an attack on how you define your character.

    People are not brave enough to embrace that level of repercussion.
    Last edited by brothern; 08-15-13 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Wrong word

  3. #253
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,039

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I thought you didn't believe in God?
    How does observing that the biblical god isnt caring saying that I believe in a god?

  4. #254
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-08-13 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,114

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    Most atheists don't believe that no god exists.

    They simply don't believe claims made by the religious, because there's no evidence for them.

    Rejecting someone else's positive claim is not a belief.
    wrong what you described is Agnosticism which believes it has not been proven one way or the other
    an Atheist believes there is no god period
    Last edited by trfjr; 08-15-13 at 11:18 PM.

  5. #255
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,039

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    The bible is folklore, why? Because you say so? You make a claim, and don't provide a single strand of supporting evidence for your claim.

    I know that human beings wrote the Bible. Not a Christian around will dispute that. So what?
    So then you have no argument that the bible was written by men. Thats good.

    So what do you think the term folklore means?

    For the bible to be more than just folklore you would need faith in the bible to believe that it isnt fiction. No faith and the entire book becomes a bit disturbing with all the millions of people that this biblical go killed and tortured. Raping a virgin minor girl and suicide by cop. Treating women as slaves and on and on. All that turns into something else when the reader has faith in the bible though. The followers always make that claim that you must give your heart to god before you can even start to understand the lords message.

    I dont expect you to understand that the bible is just a book but then why should I believe that it is anything more than just a book? A book is full of words and nothing more. Its those words that followers try to use as a way to convince others to believe those words. Personally I find the bible extremely primitive as if it were written by uneducated half wits. I cannot figure out why people would believe such a load of crap and fight over it to boot.

  6. #256
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,148

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by trfjr View Post
    wrong what you described is Agnosticism which believes it has not been proven one way or the other
    an Atheist believes there is no god period
    He is correct, you are wrong.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  7. #257
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    He is correct, you are wrong.
    No. Just no.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  8. #258
    Advisor Steelplate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    10-21-13 @ 09:15 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    364

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    So then you have no argument that the bible was written by men. Thats good.

    So what do you think the term folklore means?

    For the bible to be more than just folklore you would need faith in the bible to believe that it isnt fiction. No faith and the entire book becomes a bit disturbing with all the millions of people that this biblical go killed and tortured. Raping a virgin minor girl and suicide by cop. Treating women as slaves and on and on. All that turns into something else when the reader has faith in the bible though. The followers always make that claim that you must give your heart to god before you can even start to understand the lords message.

    I dont expect you to understand that the bible is just a book but then why should I believe that it is anything more than just a book? A book is full of words and nothing more. Its those words that followers try to use as a way to convince others to believe those words. Personally I find the bible extremely primitive as if it were written by uneducated half wits. I cannot figure out why people would believe such a load of crap and fight over it to boot.
    Well, many Christians believe that the Bible was written by divine inspiration......which I can buy......to an extent. There's just too much exclusiveness to it(or most holy books) to accept that.

    I believe that there are universal truths that span almost all religions.....and that most of the differences are cultural/dogmatic.

  9. #259
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,148

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    No. Just no.
    Febrile: Having a fever. A - Febrile: Not having a fever.
    Tonal: Having tone. A-Tonal. Not having tone.
    Theism: Belief in a god or gods. A-Theism: Not having a belief in a god or gods.

    See how that works? Atheists don't believe there are no gods, they just don't have a belief that there are any, which is the default position.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  10. #260
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    Febrile: Having a fever. A - Febrile: Not having a fever.
    Tonal: Having tone. A-Tonal. Not having tone.
    Theism: Belief in a god or gods. A-Theism: Not having a belief in a god or gods.

    See how that works? Atheists don't believe there are no gods, they just don't have a belief that there are any, which is the default position.
    But some religions aren't theist: Confucianism, Daoism. I mean...you agree they're religions, yes? I mean, regardless of what you believe, they're typically considered religions. So are Confucianism and Daoism not religions? Or are religions a set of beliefs about mankind's place in...everything? Cause if they are, atheism is one.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

Page 26 of 97 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •