View Poll Results: Is atheism a religion

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 16.31%
  • No

    118 83.69%
Page 25 of 97 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 963

Thread: Is atheism a religion[W:711:831]

  1. #241
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,042

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Are you going to actually respond to my post, or what is this nonsense? You haven't addressed a single point I've made.

    You were to disprove the God of the Bible. Get crackin' at it, time is wasting away.
    The bible is folklore. It has never been claimed that a god directly wrote the bible. The claim has always been that men wrote the bible. Men can and do make mistakes and lie outright, or are just delusional enough to believe crazy things. By crazy things I mean at the very least Genesis and Revelations (theres much more but those two will suffice).

    By historical examples of every culture as far back as we can go, the bible does not stand out as anything different than localized folklore. Each culture only mentions the part of the world that they know of. This is true with the bible there isnt any mention of anywhere outside of the immediate local areas. The content of the stories that are told in the bible entirely are about localized cultures or neighboring cultures. The concepts in the bible are concepts that were shared by the locals and/or their neighbors.

    The bible is text book folklore. The bible has no more meaning than any other cultures folklore. The bible is just a book of written words. The bible has no power to define itself as the truth. As you said for anyone to believe in a god takes faith (not a book). So a biblical god translates to just folklore. The only time that a biblical god has any worth is to those that have faith in the god described in that bible.

    There I disproved the biblical god. So if you want to claim that your folklore god in the bible is real then you must show the evidence that supports your claim. Until then the bible shall be treated just like all folklore is treated, just as a tall tale with minimal historical content that isnt important to the claims of the stories inside.

  2. #242
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,042

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post

    I happen to believe God chooses his own flock. If you've heard the word of God and you believe in Him, it's because He wants you in his flock. If you've heard the Word but chosen not to believe, it's in God's hands.
    SO much for a caring loving god.

  3. #243
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,500

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    The bible is folklore. It has never been claimed that a god directly wrote the bible. The claim has always been that men wrote the bible. Men can and do make mistakes and lie outright, or are just delusional enough to believe crazy things. By crazy things I mean at the very least Genesis and Revelations (theres much more but those two will suffice).

    By historical examples of every culture as far back as we can go, the bible does not stand out as anything different than localized folklore. Each culture only mentions the part of the world that they know of. This is true with the bible there isnt any mention of anywhere outside of the immediate local areas. The content of the stories that are told in the bible entirely are about localized cultures or neighboring cultures. The concepts in the bible are concepts that were shared by the locals and/or their neighbors.

    The bible is text book folklore. The bible has no more meaning than any other cultures folklore. The bible is just a book of written words. The bible has no power to define itself as the truth. As you said for anyone to believe in a god takes faith (not a book). So a biblical god translates to just folklore. The only time that a biblical god has any worth is to those that have faith in the god described in that bible.

    There I disproved the biblical god. So if you want to claim that your folklore god in the bible is real then you must show the evidence that supports your claim. Until then the bible shall be treated just like all folklore is treated, just as a tall tale with minimal historical content that isnt important to the claims of the stories inside.
    FFA...it works like the following:


  4. #244
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Are you suggesting that people are incapable of choosing what to believe?
    Most of them never make that decision, they adopt whatever religion that their parents hold, or the dominant religion in whatever culture they grow up in. It's rarely ever a choice because most people never do any kind of research on various religions. They pick the first one they're taught.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  5. #245
    Guru
    brothern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,175
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Are you suggesting that people are incapable of choosing what to believe?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Most of them never make that decision, they adopt whatever religion that their parents hold, or the dominant religion in whatever culture they grow up in. It's rarely ever a choice because most people never do any kind of research on various religions. They pick the first one they're taught.
    Yet, you've got to understand that religious people still believe they chose their religion or belief system. For Christianity, that is exactly how the religion is structured. A pastor, parent or friend sits a child down and says, "You've got a choice to make. Do you want to follow Jesus Christ? Do you want to be saved? It's up to you!" Obviously it's an incredibly loaded question to ask because of the high consequences and expectations, but it gives the impression to a Christian that they've purposefully chosen the path that they are in now. It takes a substantial amount of explanation and self-reflection for a Christian to actually "get" that they were led into it by their family, community or dominant culture.

    /exchristian

  6. #246
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    The bible is folklore. It has never been claimed that a god directly wrote the bible. The claim has always been that men wrote the bible. Men can and do make mistakes and lie outright, or are just delusional enough to believe crazy things. By crazy things I mean at the very least Genesis and Revelations (theres much more but those two will suffice).

    By historical examples of every culture as far back as we can go, the bible does not stand out as anything different than localized folklore. Each culture only mentions the part of the world that they know of. This is true with the bible there isnt any mention of anywhere outside of the immediate local areas. The content of the stories that are told in the bible entirely are about localized cultures or neighboring cultures. The concepts in the bible are concepts that were shared by the locals and/or their neighbors.

    The bible is text book folklore. The bible has no more meaning than any other cultures folklore. The bible is just a book of written words. The bible has no power to define itself as the truth. As you said for anyone to believe in a god takes faith (not a book). So a biblical god translates to just folklore. The only time that a biblical god has any worth is to those that have faith in the god described in that bible.

    There I disproved the biblical god. So if you want to claim that your folklore god in the bible is real then you must show the evidence that supports your claim. Until then the bible shall be treated just like all folklore is treated, just as a tall tale with minimal historical content that isnt important to the claims of the stories inside.
    The bible is folklore, why? Because you say so? You make a claim, and don't provide a single strand of supporting evidence for your claim.

    I know that human beings wrote the Bible. Not a Christian around will dispute that. So what?

  7. #247
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    SO much for a caring loving god.
    I thought you didn't believe in God?

  8. #248
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Most of them never make that decision, they adopt whatever religion that their parents hold, or the dominant religion in whatever culture they grow up in. It's rarely ever a choice because most people never do any kind of research on various religions. They pick the first one they're taught.
    You don't think religion is a big enough part of people's lives that they would take the time, in adulthood, to examine their beliefs?

  9. #249
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by brothern View Post
    Yet, you've got to understand that religious people still believe they chose their religion or belief system. For Christianity, that is exactly how the religion is structured. A pastor, parent or friend sits a child down and says, "You've got a choice to make. Do you want to follow Jesus Christ? Do you want to be saved? It's up to you!" Obviously it's an incredibly loaded question to ask because of the high consequences and expectations, but it gives the impression to a Christian that they've purposefully chosen the path that they are in now. It takes a substantial amount of explanation and self-reflection for a Christian to actually "get" that they were led into it by their family, community or dominant culture.

    /exchristian
    My parents wanted me to do a lot of things that I ended up rejecting later in life. I'm not buying this at all, just speculation and anecdotal nonsense. Provide some evidence.

  10. #250
    Professor
    Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,179

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Actually, atheism could be a religion if it were presented in such a way as to be consistent with religious indoctrination, and if those who subscribed to it did so with that all-too-familiar zeal, particularly if it were ardently antagonistic (even zealously hostile) towards all deistic beliefs, or at least those assumed in the present context.
    It's like you're dreaming of Gorgonzola when it's clearly Brie time, baby. Step into my office.

Page 25 of 97 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •