View Poll Results: Is atheism a religion

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 16.31%
  • No

    118 83.69%
Page 20 of 97 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 963

Thread: Is atheism a religion[W:711:831]

  1. #191
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    Logic lol. You said the equivalent of 'there is no evidence of nothing, just like there is no evidence of a god'


    But you are correct that the conclusion should be that no god exists, in fact that is the default position. (I think I heard that somewhere before?)
    I think you missed the point...

  2. #192
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,478
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Xsnake1 View Post
    Is atheism a religion
    No.
    Not that all religions have gods, but not having a god is not a religion.

  3. #193
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    No, it's still quite relevant. The existence of a specific god as asserted by one religious person or another is not equally likely as that assertion being false. Ancient deities that no one believes in anymore are not equally likely to exist as not exist. Even moreso, deities that have been completely forgotten to history that literally no one believes in anymore. There is absolutely no reason to even consider the possibility that those gods exist and someone would have to make a very compelling case for anyone to take that possibility seriously. Why is the western god different merely for being popular right now? Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. As much as theists like to squirm out of this, their claims are extraordinary and frankly absurd.
    You're making my argument out to be something it isn't. I never mentioned a specific god, I simply pointed out the truism that either A.) God/gods exist, or B.) He/it/they don't. One or the other statement is true, while the remaining one is false. They can't both be true, and it can't be the case that neither is true.

    That said, there is no more evidence to support the notion that no god exists than there is to support the notion that a god does exist.

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    That's not even a little bit true. There is substantial evidence of a universe operating without intervention by a deity, of prayer having no effect on healing, of no gods revealing themselves, of having faith not actually leading to a person living a happier or more moral life... all compelling evidence that gods do not exist. The proposition of free will automatically precludes any gods, as shown above. That human beings have conjectured so many mutually exclusive views on divine existence shows that none of them can be true, since they are completely interchangeable but purport to be absolute truth. God propositions are astoundingly unlikely and patently ridiculous.
    Just so we're straight.... are you claiming that you can prove that God doesn't exist?

  4. #194
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    Typically, deities are defined as "supernatural," not "superhuman." All kinds of things are "superhuman." An elephant is "superhuman" in regards to strength.
    The question was whether atheism is a religion, and the definition of religion is: "The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods."

    What in the world is "supernatural" anyway? What a vague and useless word that is. Fun fact... did you know that many ancient people did in fact worship animals for their various superhuman qualities?




    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    You still don't understand what disbelief is, dude.

    Disbelieve is not a negative belief. It is a LACK of belief.
    And I'm telling you there's no such thing as a lack of belief. Imagine a NOT pink elephant.

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    Right now, I am sure you LACK belief in purple ants from Mars, because you have never heard of any such thing. You cannot tell me for certain they do not exist, but it would be silly to believe they do.

    That is my stance of deities.

    Do you get it?

    Atheists might believe in all kinds of things, or they might not. The one thing none of them believe in is a deities. We are not some kind of homogenous voting block. "Atheist" only describes one single aspect of all the millions of aspects of philosophy.
    I don't think you understand what belief is.... dude.

    I believe there are no purple ants on Mars. Just because I believe it doesn't mean I am certain. Belief does not equal certainty. I simply believe there are no purple ants on Mars due to my limited experience and knowledge of Mars.

    There isn't a single person on earth who limits his/her beliefs to that which they are certain of. Human beings are not capable of behaving that way.

    However, I'm not knocking your stance on God. You feel free to believe what you want, based on your experience of the world around you.

  5. #195
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Why is picking none the logical option? There is no evidence for the lack of a god anymore than there is evidence for the existence of a god.
    It's called withholding assent without evidence. Once you have evidence, you can pick one, but not until.

    If you want to get technical about it, the only logical option is to say that we don't know whether God exists.

    Something I'm perfectly willing to do, because that's the conclusion the facts support.
    And that's fine, but if you don't know why would you pick one? And if you don't pick one, you're an atheist.

    Let's not go round and round on this.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  6. #196
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Steelplate View Post
    There will never be proof that one is real. Until the day we die that is, and as the old saying goes....dead men tell no tales.
    That's just a belief, all the evidence we have suggests that when you're dead, you're dead and that's the end of it. Cheap threats about post-death punishments are absurd until proven true. Faith means nothing.

    I am a believer....you, apparently are not. You are well within your rights not to believe as I am to be a believer. I won't try to change your mind and get you to convert to Christianity. Do Christians the same courtesy.
    It's not about converting, it's about examining reality for what it is. All propositions are either true or false. If they are true, they ought to be accepted by everyone. If they are false, they ought to be rejected by everyone. It's discovering what's actually true and what's actually false that really matters.

    However, I do understand the angst that atheists have towards religion....look at the Middle East, look at Fred Phelps and his Westboro Cronies.....look at the judgmentalism and the attempts to squeeze as much of the Christian Doctrine as they can into our governmental laws.

    That's not Christianity....God gave us free will to choose to accept him or not. I respect that. Others don't.
    You believe that. You can't prove it's so. Don't make arguments as though it's demonstrable.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  7. #197
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Steelplate View Post
    That is not proselyting....I simply don't care whether you believe or not. That is your choice.
    You don't care whether people believe, but you sincerely think that anyone who doesn't believe as you do is going to burn forever in a lake of fire and you don't see a problem with that view.

    Hmmm...
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #198
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    And if you don't pick one, you're an atheist.
    That's the part I disagree with. An atheist is someone who doesn't believe in God, therefore they have picked one.

  9. #199
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,568

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    That's the part I disagree with. An atheist is someone who doesn't believe in God, therefore they have picked one.
    No, not really. When I made the decision to stop believing in god, I didn't say "I'm changing to atheist", I said "I no longer believe any of this" and I just started being ME. When you go back and try to assign me into a category, I would fall under atheist. That however is not a religion that I picked, it's the exact opposite.

    There is no common dogma, rituals or teachings that atheists follow, they're only associated by one simple fact: they reject all religion. You don't make up a word for people who don't eat cheerios.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Why is picking none the logical option? There is no evidence for the lack of a god anymore than there is evidence for the existence of a god.

    If you want to get technical about it, the only logical option is to say that we don't know whether God exists.

    Something I'm perfectly willing to do, because that's the conclusion the facts support.
    Well, that's actually what I do believe. I believe it's inherently unknowable whether or not there is a god, but because I believe in the burden of proof, I assume that he isn't there. If evidence pops up later supporting god, I will quickly change my position. The only thing I do know is that the man-made religions here on earth are just that: man-made.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  10. #200
    Advisor Steelplate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    10-21-13 @ 09:15 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    364

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    You don't care whether people believe, but you sincerely think that anyone who doesn't believe as you do is going to burn forever in a lake of fire and you don't see a problem with that view.

    Hmmm...
    Take a look back and tell me where I believe that. I'll wait.....well, no...I won't.

    I don't think of God the same as Orthodox Christians do....especially the Evangelicals.

    Here's an issue I take with any religion that claims to be the "one true" religion.

    Let's suppose....just for the sake of this scenario....that you were born in India....you were raised a Hindu, or a Muslim. Your entire culture is built upon the religion you were brought up in. You are devout in your beliefs and you are of good character. One day a missionary tries to convert you to Christianity, but because of your lifelong indoctrination and culture, you reject the message from the Christian. I find it hard to believe that an all knowing, all powerful being would force you to suffer in a lake of fire for being the best person you you can be....I think that extends to non-believers too.

    And yes...I know what the Bible says. But I have doubts about that too...no one gets to the father except through me....the parable of the talents......pay unto Caesar....we have to remember that when the voting process took place as to what was going to be in the Bible and what wasn't....the Roman Empire was in turmoil between Pagans and Christians. Constantine was trying to Unite the Empire under one religion...under one church.

    You can't do that if you don't create exclusivity....you also can't control people, especially the poor and enslaved by saying that your master is not your true master. That's why I brought up the parable of the talents and Pay unto Caesar as examples. Those two examples are all about control...not about love, understanding and compassion.

    I guess the truth is....I guess I'm more of a Deist who follows a Christian Path.

    No....make no mistake, I don't condemn people....I live my life as I see fit and I let people live theirs.

    I do believe in an afterlife...but I have no proof other than testimony from people who have had near death experiences and mediums.....which both are dismissable as chemical reactions in the body as it prepares itself for death, and con artists....I don't believe that is the case for the former and I think that the latter is debatable....yes....there are many who are con artists....but I think some aren't. Either way...it's testimony...not Empirical evidence....which is what you are looking for.

Page 20 of 97 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •