View Poll Results: Is atheism a religion

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 16.31%
  • No

    118 83.69%
Page 18 of 97 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 963

Thread: Is atheism a religion[W:711:831]

  1. #171
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    No. Because what you fail to realize is that atheism is not dogmatic. Atheism, in the deity debate, is basically just a placeholder where knowledge does not presently exist.

    You're thinking of atheism as a religion. It isn't.
    I don't think atheism is a religion, in the sense that part of what defines a religion is a belief in God. That's the simple answer.

    The longer, and perhaps better, answer would begin by trying to define what a god is. If a god is defined as something superhuman that creates and controls the universe, then isn't nature itself a god? Isn't the universe a god?

    As such, if you bow to the clockwork of nature (science), aren't you in a sense practicing a religion?

    However, like I said, that's a bit heady, and knowing how the word is commonly used, atheism is NOT a religion because you don't believe in God. Simple.

    Now, that said, it IS a belief system, because "negative" beliefs simply don't exist. It's the pink elephant problem (try to not imagine a pink elephant, and you immediately imagine a pink elephant).

    It's just one of those things about the human mind... we can't think in negatives.

    Now, you might be able to convince me that the abstract concept of "atheism" can deal with this gray area, but you'll never convince me that atheists, being human beings, are devoid of any beliefs on the subject of the supernatural.

  2. #172
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    If you make, as you say, the "positive" claim that there is a god, then you are obligated to substantiate it. If you don't believe that's your obligation then a debate forum is clearly not the place for you.



    Non-theism is not a matter of faith, it's imply not being theistic. And as to the claim that there is no god, that isn't a matter of faith either as it's simply a response that evidence for the claim that god exists hasn't been offered.



    The claim that a thing exists has the burden of proof. If you don't understand this point then you are confused as to what type of forum you are currently participating in.

    The whole burden of proof debate is tiresome. Haven't you atheists "evolved" beyond that yet? It's the same thing Richard Dawkins was spitting out 30 years ago.

    Look, debate forum or no, nobody is required to substantiate their faith to anyone else because religion is a personal matter.

    I didn't want to get dragged in to this old debate on burden of proof, but look. Let's view this logically. Let's begin with two statements....

    A.) There is no God
    B.) God/gods exists.

    We know that one of the above is true, that is fact. But which is it, A or B? Which is truth? In fact, we can't find enough evidence to prove either claim. Thus, belief in either is a matter of faith.

    This is a fact and you cannot dispute it.

    Now I realize you would like to unload the entire burden of proof on the religious (making us have to prove claim B while you do not have to prove claim A), however, that just ain't gonna happen.
    Last edited by Peter Grimm; 08-14-13 at 08:40 PM.

  3. #173
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    The whole burden of proof debate is tiresome. Haven't you atheists "evolved" beyond that yet? It's the same thing Richard Dawkins was spitting out 30 years ago.

    Look, debate forum or no, nobody is required to substantiate their faith to anyone else because religion is a personal matter.

    I didn't want to get dragged in to this old debate on burden of proof, but look. Let's view this logically. Let's begin with two statements....

    A.) There is no God
    B.) God exists.

    We know that one of the above is true, that is fact. But which is it, A or B? Which is truth? In fact, we can't find enough evidence to prove either claim. Thus, belief in either is a matter of faith.

    This is a fact and you cannot dispute it.

    Now I realize you would like to unload the entire burden of proof on the religious (making us have to prove claim B while you do not have to prove claim A), however, that just ain't gonna happen.
    Option C

    C) there are many gods

    D) there is a goddess

  4. #174
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,292

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Option C

    C) there are many gods

    D) there is a goddess
    Neither atheism nor Buddhism have a god, ergo not religions. Philosophies. Perhaps some religions prefer androgenous gods.

  5. #175
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Option C

    C) there are many gods

    D) there is a goddess
    LOL.

    I'd put that under option B... but change the wording "there is a god/gods"

  6. #176
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    Neither atheism nor Buddhism have a god, ergo not religions. Philosophies. Perhaps some religions prefer androgenous gods.
    It's true that Buddhism doesn't have a god, however it's also true that one of the following statements is correct

    - A god/gods exists
    - There is no God.

  7. #177
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,769

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    It's true that Buddhism doesn't have a god, however it's also true that one of the following statements is correct

    - A god/gods exists
    - There is no God.
    True, that's a binary proposition, one must exist, but given the number of gods man has invented for himself to worship and the utter lack of any evidence for the existence of any of them, the chances of just picking the one correct god out of a hat is virtually nil. There's no better reason to think that the Christian God exists than Zeus, Odin or Krishna. However, given that there isn't a shred of evidence for any of them, picking none, at least until someone can prove one is real, seems like a logical option.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #178
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,194

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Xsnake1 View Post
    Is atheism a religion
    No, its not.

  9. #179
    Advisor Steelplate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    10-21-13 @ 09:15 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    364

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    True, that's a binary proposition, one must exist, but given the number of gods man has invented for himself to worship and the utter lack of any evidence for the existence of any of them, the chances of just picking the one correct god out of a hat is virtually nil. There's no better reason to think that the Christian God exists than Zeus, Odin or Krishna. However, given that there isn't a shred of evidence for any of them, picking none, at least until someone can prove one is real, seems like a logical option.
    There will never be proof that one is real. Until the day we die that is, and as the old saying goes....dead men tell no tales.

    I am a believer....you, apparently are not. You are well within your rights not to believe as I am to be a believer. I won't try to change your mind and get you to convert to Christianity. Do Christians the same courtesy.

    However, I do understand the angst that atheists have towards religion....look at the Middle East, look at Fred Phelps and his Westboro Cronies.....look at the judgmentalism and the attempts to squeeze as much of the Christian Doctrine as they can into our governmental laws.

    That's not Christianity....God gave us free will to choose to accept him or not. I respect that. Others don't.

  10. #180
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    True, that's a binary proposition, one must exist, but given the number of gods man has invented for himself to worship and the utter lack of any evidence for the existence of any of them, the chances of just picking the one correct god out of a hat is virtually nil. There's no better reason to think that the Christian God exists than Zeus, Odin or Krishna. However, given that there isn't a shred of evidence for any of them, picking none, at least until someone can prove one is real, seems like a logical option.
    Why is picking none the logical option? There is no evidence for the lack of a god anymore than there is evidence for the existence of a god.

    If you want to get technical about it, the only logical option is to say that we don't know whether God exists.

    Something I'm perfectly willing to do, because that's the conclusion the facts support.

Page 18 of 97 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •