View Poll Results: Is atheism a religion

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 16.31%
  • No

    118 83.69%
Page 13 of 97 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 963

Thread: Is atheism a religion[W:711:831]

  1. #121
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    I can only answer in my own case, but no, I do not take a positive position that there are no god(s), I see no reason to think that there are. And no, you don't get to redefine me as an agnostic because you feel like it.
    Except that is agnostic.....

    ag·nos·tic
    /agˈnästik/Noun
    A person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena;...
    That's not redefinition, that IS the definition.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  2. #122
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,774

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    Except that is agnostic.....
    Let us know when you actually decide to be honest. I'm not holding my breath.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #123
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    I can only answer in my own case, but no, I do not take a positive position that there are no god(s), I see no reason to think that there are. And no, you don't get to redefine me as an agnostic because you feel like it.
    Oh, and by the way.....

    athe·ist noun \ˈā-thē-ist\
    CloseStyle: MLA APA ChicagoDefinition of ATHEIST
    : one who believes that there is no deity
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  4. #124
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Let us know when you actually decide to be honest. I'm not holding my breath.
    Um, I posted the definition for you. Not sure what isn't honest about that.....
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  5. #125
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Which is entirely true, but to be honest, there are atheists out there who are not rational people and there is nothing inherent in atheism which demands that the non-religious must be rational, intellectual, educated, objective people. There are atheists who are atheists for very bad reasons. That said though, I have yet to meet a single theist anywhere who was a theist for what I considered a good reason.
    I was really more trying to emphasize how silly it is to say that disbelief in something can be "dogmatic". Are we dogmatic in that we think with 100% certainty that if we stand outside in the rain, we'll get wet? Or that if we completely stop eating, we'll die from it? Or that if we close our eyes and wander down a street, we'll get hit by a car?

    Yes, it's possible that those things won't happen. But it's so absurdly unlikely that there's no reason to consider them as realistic.

    Either way, theists love to declare us a religion or dogmatic in order to discredit us (which is hilarious to begin with), but it always involves attempting to argue that any opinion is as good as any other. A well reasoned conclusion based on evidence is just as good a fanciful hope that you convince yourself is true. And that is nonsense. And it shows how much doublethink and cognitive dissonance is required in order to really ascribe to religious beliefs in the modern age.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  6. #126
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Anagram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    6,190

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    It's interesting how converasations about atheism on here always tend to devolve into whether atheism is a lack of belief in gods or a positive belief in no gods. Also whether or not agnosticism means that someone doesn't know if god exists or if they believe that it can't be known if god exists. Both terms are used each way enough they're probably borg correct. Most dictionaries carry both definitions. It's annoying these debates always turn into this.
    There should be Instant Runoff Voting

  7. #127
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,033

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post

    Why is that my "job," and why do I get the feeling the check is going to bounce? Neither side is obligated to prove anything to the other.
    If you make, as you say, the "positive" claim that there is a god, then you are obligated to substantiate it. If you don't believe that's your obligation then a debate forum is clearly not the place for you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Atheism or theism are simply matters of faith,
    Non-theism is not a matter of faith, it's imply not being theistic. And as to the claim that there is no god, that isn't a matter of faith either as it's simply a response that evidence for the claim that god exists hasn't been offered.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    neither is superior from that standpoint and neither has a higher burden of proof.
    The claim that a thing exists has the burden of proof. If you don't understand this point then you are confused as to what type of forum you are currently participating in.

  8. #128
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,499

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    As a atheist, "I believe" that science will ultimately prove that there is no supreme being(s) that created this universe or any other, should any others exist.

    In other words, it's not a matter of "if" science can prove there's no god, but "when" science proves it.

    So if someone accepts science over a religion...does science substitute as a religion? No! There's definitely differences between religion and science. Some examples of how science doesn't compare with religion are:

    1) Science doesn't try to take credit for creation, it only attempts to explain how it was created.

    2) Science doesn't claim dominion over creation, thereby demanding allegiance to it.

    3) Science doesn't create biased and/or ambiguous rules for living.

    4) Science doesn't threaten eternal damnation for not subscribing to any scientific information or discoveries.

    5) Science doesn't promise a reward of an eternal life in paradise for a person's unconditional surrender to any scientific discipline or tenets.

    6) It's not necessary to submit one's allegiance to science in order to establish a moral foundation that allows individuals to co-exist peacefully with other people.

    7) Science doesn't claim to possess the meaning and/or purpose of humanity. In other words, "my" sense of meaning and purpose isn't defined by legends or myths contained in ancient books written by "human men" claiming to be instruments of an omnipotent being - who only makes its existence known through them.

    And the list goes on....

    As a atheist, I simply subscribe to the scientific explanation of origin of the universe freely and without coercion. There's no belief in a reward or punishment for subscribing to such an explanation.

  9. #129
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    As a atheist, "I believe" that science will ultimately prove that there is no supreme being(s) that created this universe or any other, should any others exist.

    In other words, it's not a matter of "if" science can prove there's no god, but "when" science proves it.

    So if someone accepts science over a religion...does science substitute as a religion? No! There's definitely differences between religion and science. Some examples of how science doesn't compare with religion are:

    1) Science doesn't try to take credit for creation, it only attempts to explain how it was created.

    2) Science doesn't claim dominion over creation, thereby demanding allegiance to it.

    3) Science doesn't create biased and/or ambiguous rules for living.

    4) Science doesn't threaten eternal damnation for not subscribing to any scientific information or discoveries.

    5) Science doesn't promise a reward of an eternal life in paradise for a person's unconditional surrender to any scientific discipline or tenets.

    6) It's not necessary to submit one's allegiance to science in order to establish a moral foundation that allows individuals to co-exist peacefully with other people.

    7) Science doesn't claim to possess the meaning and/or purpose of humanity. In other words, "my" sense of meaning and purpose isn't defined by legends or myths contained in ancient books written by "human men" claiming to be instruments of an omnipotent being - who only makes its existence known through them.

    And the list goes on....

    As a atheist, I simply subscribe to the scientific explanation of origin of the universe freely and without coercion. There's no belief in a reward or punishment for subscribing to such an explanation.
    I agree that it does not, but the way with which some individuals revere science one could be left with the conclusion that it does.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #130
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    A lack of belief is not a belief. Atheism is not a religion or a belief.
    I don't think atheism can be called "a lack of belief." Atheists are strong believers in a list of things including:

    - There is no intelligent creator
    - In some cases, people of faith should have limited rights with respect to speech, participation in government and the rearing of their children
    - Conclusive views on the random nature of origin of life
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

Page 13 of 97 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •