View Poll Results: Is atheism a religion

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 16.31%
  • No

    118 83.69%
Page 12 of 97 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 963

Thread: Is atheism a religion[W:711:831]

  1. #111
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    You keep telling yourself that, if you repeat it enough times, you might even convince yourself that it's true.

    Reality doesn't seem to mean much to you people.
    Are you denying that athiests believe there is no God?
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  2. #112
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,798

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    *sigh* What's wrong with the search function, exactly?

    Agnosticism is a position about what is knowable. Atheism is practical philosophy based on the knowledge we have.

    Use the search function.
    Just to make it simpler.

    Atheism/theism addresses belief in gods. Theism requires an active belief that one or more gods actually exist in reality. Anything that does not fall into that category, including "I don't know" and "I don't care" is an atheist.

    Agnosticism/gnosticism addresses the availability of knowledge. It answers the question of whether you think it's possible to know about the existence of gods or not. It does not make claims about people actually having knowledge of gods because *NOBODY* has knowledge of gods. Knowledge requires some basis in fact and no one has yet produced any evidence that gods exist.

    Agnosticism is not some mid-point between atheism and theism, it answers an entirely different philosophical question. Saying you're an agnostic in that sense is like someone asking what your favorite flavor of ice cream is and you answering "blue". It makes no sense. Some people are terrified of the "atheist" word because of the negative social connotations that centuries of theist-rule has given it, but those negative connotations are largely non-existent these days because atheists make up a much larger segment of the population and it's growing every day. If you can't own a word and use it properly because you're afraid of how it might make you look to others, there's something wrong with you as an individual.

    Hope that helps everyone involved.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #113
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,798

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    Are you denying that athiests believe there is no God?
    I am saying that there is a difference between denying the existence of something and rejecting the claims that something exists based on a lack of evidence. It's not a disagreement between two groups making positive claims, it's one group that makes a positive claim that gods exist (theists) and another group which looks at those claims and rejects them because they are unsupported (atheists).

    I doubt you can appreciate the difference though.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  4. #114
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Atheism is not a religion.

    Although many atheists may have dogmatic faith in their belief that god does not exist.
    Just like people who want to sit down have dogmatic faith in their belief that chairs don't run away when you try to sit on them.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  5. #115
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,798

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Just like people who want to sit down have dogmatic faith in their belief that chairs don't run away when you try to sit on them.
    Which is entirely true, but to be honest, there are atheists out there who are not rational people and there is nothing inherent in atheism which demands that the non-religious must be rational, intellectual, educated, objective people. There are atheists who are atheists for very bad reasons. That said though, I have yet to meet a single theist anywhere who was a theist for what I considered a good reason.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  6. #116
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    So instead of trying to force your preferred context and definition upon those who self identify as atheist, would it not make more sense to accept their explanation of what they mean when they use the term to describe themselves instead?

    I an an atheist - by definition, and I am an agnostic - also by definition. It gets really old trying to argue with someone who insists that the meaning we are trying to convey when we identify ourselves is something other than the meaning that we intended.
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  7. #117
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    I am saying that there is a difference between denying the existence of something and rejecting the claims that something exists based on a lack of evidence. It's not a disagreement between two groups making positive claims, it's one group that makes a positive claim that gods exist (theists) and another group which looks at those claims and rejects them because they are unsupported (atheists).

    I doubt you can appreciate the difference though.
    You didn't answer the question. Yes or no, do you deny that Athiest believe there is no God?
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  8. #118
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,798

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by marduc View Post
    So instead of trying to force your preferred context and definition upon those who self identify as atheist, would it not make more sense to accept their explanation of what they mean when they use the term to describe themselves instead?

    I an an atheist - by definition, and I am an agnostic - also by definition. It gets really old trying to argue with someone who insists that the meaning we are trying to convey when we identify ourselves is something other than the meaning that we intended.
    But see, if they did that, they couldn't pretend to have moral superiority and that's really what they're trying to do. Theists will try to misuse words like "atheist" and "faith" to show that their own position is just as credible, or at least no less credible, than anyone else, thus they shouldn't endure criticism. That's ridiculously fallacious on it's face, but there you go. This isn't about honest debate, it's about image.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  9. #119
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:31 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,435

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Atheism - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

    Definition of ATHEISM
    1
    archaic : ungodliness, wickedness
    2
    a : a disbelief in the existence of deity
    b : the doctrine that there is no deity

    See atheism defined for kids »
    Origin of ATHEISM
    Middle French athéisme, from athée atheist, from Greek atheos godless, from a- + theos god
    First Known Use: 1546
    Other Philosophy Terms
    dialectic, dualism, epistemology, existentialism, metaphysics, ontology, sequitur, solipsism, transcendentalism
    Rhymes with ATHEISM
    absurdism, activism, Adventism, alarmism, albinism, alpinism, anarchism, aneurysm, anglicism, animism, aphorism, Arabism, archaism, asteri...
    [+]more
    atheism
    noun (Concise Encyclopedia)

    Critique and denial of metaphysical beliefs in God or divine beings. Unlike agnosticism, which leaves open the question of whether there is a God, atheism is a positive denial. It is rooted in an array of philosophical systems. Ancient Greek philosophers such as Democritus and Epicurus argued for it in the context of materialism. In the 18th century David Hume and Immanuel Kant, though not atheists, argued against traditional proofs for God's existence, making belief a matter of faith alone. Atheists such as Ludwig Feuerbach held that God was a projection of human ideals and that recognizing this fiction made self-realization possible. Marxism exemplified modern materialism. Beginning with Friedrich Nietzsche, existentialist atheism proclaimed the death of God and the human freedom to determine value and meaning. Logical positivism holds that propositions concerning the existence or nonexistence of God are nonsensical or meaningless.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #120
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,798

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    You didn't answer the question. Yes or no, do you deny that Athiest believe there is no God?
    I can only answer in my own case, but no, I do not take a positive position that there are no god(s), I see no reason to think that there are. And no, you don't get to redefine me as an agnostic because you feel like it.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

Page 12 of 97 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •