View Poll Results: Is atheism a religion

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 16.31%
  • No

    118 83.69%
Page 10 of 97 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 963

Thread: Is atheism a religion[W:711:831]

  1. #91
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    You can sit around and repeat that nonsense all you want, you can have a big old parade if you wish, but your definition is still wrong. All the bitching and whining and complaining in the world isn't going to change that.
    No, that's actually the dictionary definition of atheism. Look it up.

  2. #92
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    No, that's actually the dictionary definition of atheism. Look it up.
    It's *HALF* of the dictionary definition. You just ignore the other half of "One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods."

    Done beating your strawman yet?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #93
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    It's *HALF* of the dictionary definition. You just ignore the other half of "One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods."

    Done beating your strawman yet?
    Are you still trying to win? Good lord. How embarrassing for you.

    What does one who disbelieves or denies the existence of God do? He believes that God does not exist.

  4. #94
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Are you still trying to win? Good lord. How embarrassing for you.

    What does one who disbelieves or denies the existence of God do? He believes that God does not exist.
    Um... yeah... pardon me while I just back away slowly, I don't waste my time on the terminally delusional.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  5. #95
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,206

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Um... yeah... pardon me while I just back away slowly, I don't waste my time on the terminally delusional.
    Sometimes you can only shake your head in disbelief!
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  6. #96
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    Sometimes you can only shake your head in disbelief!
    Butthurt about the Obama thread, eh Manc?

  7. #97
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Um... yeah... pardon me while I just back away slowly, I don't waste my time on the terminally delusional.
    Well, wherever you end up slinking back to, pick yourself up a copy of Webster's Dictionary, it'll help you out in the future.

    In particular, take a look at the word "denial," because I think that could open your eyes.
    Last edited by Peter Grimm; 08-13-13 at 08:48 AM.

  8. #98
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,206

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Butthurt about the Obama thread, eh Manc?
    No. There's no reason to be so.

    Here's an eye-opener for you, in the definitions stakes.

    Noun 1. disbelief - doubt about the truth of something
    disbelief - doubt about the truth of something
    incredulity, mental rejection, skepticism
    doubt, doubtfulness, dubiety, dubiousness, incertitude, uncertainty - the state of being unsure of something

    2. disbelief - a rejection of belief
    disbelief - a rejection of belief
    unbelief
    cognitive content, mental object, content - the sum or range of what has been perceived, discovered, or learned
    scepticism, skepticism, agnosticism - the disbelief in any claims of ultimate knowledge
    atheism - a lack of belief in the existence of God or gods

    Doubting the truth of something doesn't mean believing something else, mch like lacking a belief in something doesn't mean belief in something else.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  9. #99
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    No. There's no reason to be so.

    Here's an eye-opener for you, in the definitions stakes.

    Noun 1. disbelief - doubt about the truth of something
    disbelief - doubt about the truth of something
    incredulity, mental rejection, skepticism
    doubt, doubtfulness, dubiety, dubiousness, incertitude, uncertainty - the state of being unsure of something

    2. disbelief - a rejection of belief
    disbelief - a rejection of belief
    unbelief
    cognitive content, mental object, content - the sum or range of what has been perceived, discovered, or learned
    scepticism, skepticism, agnosticism - the disbelief in any claims of ultimate knowledge
    atheism - a lack of belief in the existence of God or gods

    Doubting the truth of something doesn't mean believing something else, mch like lacking a belief in something doesn't mean belief in something else.

    Uh huh.

    So I don't believe the Queen of England wears a wig. However, that doesn't mean I believe the queen doesn't wear a wig.

    I'm a skeptic. If some evidence were to surface showing that the queen in fact wears a wig, I, a disbeliever in the queen's wig-wearing (but that doesn't mean that I believe she doesn't wear one, mind you), would then be forced to change my affiliation on the matter.

    Of course, there's nothing absurd or ridiculous about this line of reasoning.

  10. #100
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Is atheism a religion

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    Most atheists don't believe that no god exists.

    They simply don't believe claims made by the religious, because there's no evidence for them.

    Rejecting someone else's positive claim is not a belief.
    That would make them agnostic, not atheist.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 10 of 97 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •