Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 125

Thread: When will social conservatives reorient to focus on integrating gays into families?

  1. #111
    Elitist as Hell.
    Einzige's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    10-29-16 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    2,655

    Re: When will social conservatives reorient to focus on integrating gays into familie

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    A solid point. The victory of the gay marriage movement is the demise of radical queer politics, it's the essence of conservatism: Gays no longer wish to express the uniqueness of their identity, they want a white picket fence and the tax benefits to go with it. How long will it take for social conservatives to accept gay marriage and gays enough to focus on integration as a political strut? I'm not sure. How long will it take for gays to desire assimilation into mainstream American cultural life including the nuclear family and all that goes with it? It's already happened.
    This might be the first post in this thread to address the essence of my initial topic, rather than rehash the outmoded debate about the morality of homosexuality or its political 'radicalism'. Thank you.

  2. #112
    User AuntiE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    44th Least Free State
    Last Seen
    11-25-13 @ 10:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    100

    Re: When will social conservatives reorient to focus on integrating gays into familie

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I'm not convinced it is sin. I've linked many times why. My particular priest understands my argument, and doesn't dispute it. And frankly, heterosexuals throw their sexuality in people's faces all the time. I mean hold hands. Kissing.

    Two epode living one another, being tender, committed isn't deviant. You might pay more attention to heterosexuals and their deviant behavior.
    Your inability to write a clear, concise grammatically correct sentence leaves one wondering what you said. An example would be, "Two epode living one another....."

    I further am waiting to see heterosexuals acting as you say, ie. "hold hands"' "kissing" as it has become persona non grata to have such public displays because of the very issue under discussion on this thread.

    "I would rather be exposed to the inconvenience of too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson

  3. #113
    User AuntiE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    44th Least Free State
    Last Seen
    11-25-13 @ 10:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    100

    Re: When will social conservatives reorient to focus on integrating gays into familie

    Quote Originally Posted by Einzige View Post
    This might be the first post in this thread to address the essence of my initial topic, rather than rehash the outmoded debate about the morality of homosexuality or its political 'radicalism'. Thank you.
    I had no choice, absolutely none. I called my neighbors two doors up. I gave them the website and forum. I said read and call me with your thoughts. They; both Catholic, gay, together ten years, state with legal same gender marriage, came back with a lovely phrase. They said, "over talked, hurting the perception and pseudo intellectual garbage." As I know them well, respect them greatly and they have a better perspective of this subject then myself, I will go with their thoughts.

    "I would rather be exposed to the inconvenience of too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson

  4. #114
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: When will social conservatives reorient to focus on integrating gays into familie

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You mean like denying gays the right to marry. Yes, that is imposing your beliefs on some one else. But I don't think that's liberals doing that. And certainly conservatives have sent outsiders into states to demonize SSM. Both sides have likely sent people in, but the point is conservatives can hardly feign innocence.

    Read MLKs Letter From a Birmingham Jail. I think it covers the notion of just shutting and letting it come around rather well.
    You're absolutely right. Sucks don't it? It's why I've done a 180 on gay marriage.

    Why don't you people learn something from that and stop trying to judge everyone that doesn't agree with you and push your views on others through insults and ridicule. Doing so is highly hypocritical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #115
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: When will social conservatives reorient to focus on integrating gays into familie

    Quote Originally Posted by AuntiE View Post
    Your inability to write a clear, concise grammatically correct sentence leaves one wondering what you said. An example would be, "Two epode living one another....."

    I further am waiting to see heterosexuals acting as you say, ie. "hold hands"' "kissing" as it has become persona non grata to have such public displays because of the very issue under discussion on this thread.
    Yeah, I have trouble with auto correct, and being a poor typist multitasking, **** happens.

    As for holding hands and kissing, I see it daily. Hell, I do it daily. You must live in a sad place.
    Last edited by Boo Radley; 08-05-13 at 02:00 AM.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #116
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,208

    Re: When will social conservatives reorient to focus on integrating gays into familie

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    You can fantasize about me losing, that is fine...no other fantasies allowed tho.

    Ciao...really, I cannot waste anymore valuable time with a lost cause, sorry.
    Really, if you can't waste anymore time with me than don't. You insist on responding. BTW this is another loss for you.

  7. #117
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: When will social conservatives reorient to focus on integrating gays into familie

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You're absolutely right. Sucks don't it? It's why I've done a 180 on gay marriage.

    Why don't you people learn something from that and stop trying to judge everyone that doesn't agree with you and push your views on others through insults and ridicule. Doing so is highly hypocritical.
    No. Disliking bigotry is not being judgmental. It's a proper distinction. And I still point to MLK and his Letter From a Birmingham Jail. It it explains the problem with your thinking.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #118
    User AuntiE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    44th Least Free State
    Last Seen
    11-25-13 @ 10:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    100

    Re: When will social conservatives reorient to focus on integrating gays into familie

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Yeah, I have trouble with auto correct, and being a poor typist multitasking, **** happens.

    As for holding hands and kissing, I see it daily. Hell, I do it daily. You must live in a sad place.

    As I live in the 44th least free state in the United States you can believe I "live in a sad place"; however, same gender marriage is available. As to any other freedoms, NOT!!!!!!!!!! Freedoms are constantly on.

    "I would rather be exposed to the inconvenience of too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson

  9. #119
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: When will social conservatives reorient to focus on integrating gays into familie

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    Totally disagree with the arguments this side being the least bit vapid and superficial, I rather find the opposing viewpoints by far the more vacuous and disingenuous. The number of people affected would be on the order of 1-2%, so at least 98% not affected...so I fail to see where you are arriving at these ramifications for a large number of people, care to elucidate your point? Besides, long term health of a nation is at risk. This attempt by the left to make man and woman indistinguishable from one another is negatively trans-formative.
    1. 1-2% of 300 million is 3-6 million. That's a lot of people IMO.
    2. In what way is the long-term health of the nation at risk?
    3. What does making man and woman indistinguishable from one another have to do with homosexuals?

    No doubt. Our objective should be towards the better outcome long term.
    No, our objective should be to become better people. Better outcomes can be obtained in horrible ways.

    You will have to point out where I have gone to the opposite extreme and claim all ideas of the past are untouchable.
    Your argument was against change in general, you didn't make a specific argument against gay marriage, so I assumed you were opposed to it because it was change.

    You cannot get that from our conversation...and I dare say from any conversation I have ever [ and I do not use absolutes like ever very often ] had, its not something I believe and again, I do not use absolutes lightly.
    Fair enough, I don't know you.

    Well, I leave you to prove that point or leave it unproven. Perhaps one good example, since you brought it up, will do.
    Sure. Which point specifically?
    One who makes himself a worm cannot complain when tread upon.

  10. #120
    controlled chaos
    Gaugingcatenate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Formerly of the Southern USA, now permanently in the mountains of Panama
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,159

    Re: When will social conservatives reorient to focus on integrating gays into familie

    Quote Originally Posted by Republic Now! View Post
    1. 1-2% of 300 million is 3-6 million. That's a lot of people IMO.
    2. In what way is the long-term health of the nation at risk?
    3. What does making man and woman indistinguishable from one another have to do with homosexuals?
    1. Considerably more people, 294 million or more, are to be risked, subjected to having the solid base of society, the continuing building blocks of our civilization [ the one man one woman family structure that has gotten us here] subverted and/or destroyed based upon some social experiment that benefits, perhaps, only the few. The old saying you should go home with the one that brought you to the dance comes to mind... and you consider yourself a conservative... how so?

    2. Destruction of the building blocks mentioned above and

    3. The push towards the idea that men and women are indistinguishable and so families are not hurt/hindered in any way if brought up by same sex couples is false. The family unit to be balanced and for instruction of individuals and citizens to optimally occur in what would be considered the natural and normal relations between what is biologically,historically, societally and religiously determined as the most prudent fashion, man and woman being completely different constructs, both complementary and supplementary with each having their own important roles, that should be assured for the continuing health [mental, physical and spiritual ] of our general population and for the continuing health, the survival of the individuals and the nation. The idea of same sex couples where the opposite gender is promoted to be able to stand in, to take on the role of the other gender, a role they cannot humanly replace or properly substitute for, yet there has been an attempt to meld the two in our culture making it appear as if they can be mixed and matched, that they are, in essence the same so what is the big deal. The big deal is that man and woman are not the same and we need that correct mix to continue to strive for the optimum.



    Quote Originally Posted by Republic Now! View Post
    No, our objective should be to become better people. Better outcomes can be obtained in horrible ways.
    While I agree with the premise of the objective to become better people, I do not follow your logic beyond that as you provided none and only say, cryptically, "Better outcomes can be obtained in horrible ways." I think same sex marriage is one of these attempts, misguided, at better outcomes attainment in horrible ways, however.



    Quote Originally Posted by Republic Now! View Post
    Your argument was against change in general, you didn't make a specific argument against gay marriage, so I assumed you were opposed to it because it was change.
    Hardly against all change, I am glad to be riding my car instead of a horse... or walking.



    Quote Originally Posted by Republic Now! View Post
    Sure. Which point specifically?
    You stated in your first post to me, "I imagine if you (and to the OP's point, many hardline social conservatives) did a rigorous study on the history of the policies you advocate you may discover both that you do not like their origins and that they are not quite as old and time-tested as you believe.... so please point out an instance or two.

    You know, you can go back to previous conversations just as well as can I to figure out what you were saying but only alluding to and that I am questioning you about. In fact, when you answer my query, what it references should still be up there.
    "...But resist we much, we must and we will much, about that be committed..." --- the right Reverend Alfred Charles "Al" Shaprton, Jr.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •