View Poll Results: Do you favor bailing out Detroit?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    16 18.18%
  • No.

    67 76.14%
  • Don't know.

    5 5.68%
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 165

Thread: Poll: Do You Favor Bailing Out Detroit?

  1. #61
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,650

    Re: Poll: Do You Favor Bailing Out Detroit?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Oh I think its perfect as the innocent people living there are simply hit by both.
    If you elect morons to govern your city then you are neither innocent nor deserving of a share of funds from those that did not do so. To simply reward the failure of some by taxing the success of others is not a good idea.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  2. #62
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Poll: Do You Favor Bailing Out Detroit?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Many of the manufacturing jobs simply moved to right to work states. The tax base "voting with their feet" was a symptom of the problem, not its cause.
    Um, no, the manufacturing jobs left the US. We are not protecting the industries, we are engaging in a race to the bottom.

    Your argument doesn't even support your claim of city planners as the cause, RTW STATES are not cities, cities are not states.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  3. #63
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,935

    Re: Poll: Do You Favor Bailing Out Detroit?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Many of the manufacturing jobs simply moved to right to work states. The tax base "voting with their feet" was a symptom of the problem, not its cause.
    I would be happy to examine that data if you could supply it.

    I live in SE Michigan and much of the movement of factories in Detroit was to the suburbs and not out of state. The Big 3 have major plants in places like Livonia, Wayne, Wixom, Sterling Heights and other suburbs which used to be located in Detroit.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #64
    controlled chaos
    Gaugingcatenate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Formerly of the Southern USA, now permanently in the mountains of Panama
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,159

    Re: Poll: Do You Favor Bailing Out Detroit?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    How does one get to be such a highly evolved holier than thou perfect being?
    A silly and pretentiously put question, perhaps?

    If one wants better results, you have to expect them. Often starts with being true to oneself, being logical, taking responsibility instead of pawning it off on someone or something else. Oh, and if you are incapable of doing it yourself, try to teach it to your kids anyhow...
    "...But resist we much, we must and we will much, about that be committed..." --- the right Reverend Alfred Charles "Al" Shaprton, Jr.

  5. #65
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,935

    Re: Poll: Do You Favor Bailing Out Detroit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman909 View Post
    After decades of democratic rule, during which none of them had the foresight to see what was happening as the businesses and people withdrew, why should the federal government bail it out? It should fall to the DNC.
    The big slide downwards began from 1950 through 1960 where - for the first time - Detroit actually lost population and full 10% of its citizens. That was the beginning of the end.

    The two mayors during that decade were Louis Mariani and Alfred Cobo. Both were Republicans. The mayors since 1961 have either been Democrats or not affiliated with any party.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #66
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,650

    Re: Poll: Do You Favor Bailing Out Detroit?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I would be happy to examine that data if you could supply it.

    I live in SE Michigan and much of the movement of factories in Detroit was to the suburbs and not out of state. The Big 3 have major plants in places like Livonia, Wayne, Wixom, Sterling Heights and other suburbs which used to be located in Detroit.
    So let the state of MI bail out Detriot, no need to ask the rest of the nation for help.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  7. #67
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Poll: Do You Favor Bailing Out Detroit?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I would be happy to see evidence that the voters of Detroit chose the wrong people and they are responsible for the problems.
    At the risk of being flippant, all the evidence you need is that the city was taken over by a federal manager and after checking the cupboard, he declared the city bankrupt. If you declare bankruptcy in your own household, doesn't matter the reasons, you are responsible in the end.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  8. #68
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Poll: Do You Favor Bailing Out Detroit?

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    At the risk of being flippant, all the evidence you need is that the city was taken over by a federal manager and after checking the cupboard, he declared the city bankrupt. If you declare bankruptcy in your own household, doesn't matter the reasons, you are responsible in the end.
    Um....bankruptcy...is the shedding of responsibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  9. #69
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,935

    Re: Poll: Do You Favor Bailing Out Detroit?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    So let the state of MI bail out Detriot, no need to ask the rest of the nation for help.
    I wonder if when the people of New Jersey, New York, Florida, Texas and other states need help, Michigan takes the F YOU attitude that seems to be the response to our state?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #70
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,935

    Re: Poll: Do You Favor Bailing Out Detroit?

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    At the risk of being flippant, all the evidence you need is that the city was taken over by a federal manager and after checking the cupboard, he declared the city bankrupt. If you declare bankruptcy in your own household, doesn't matter the reasons, you are responsible in the end.
    that is only evidence of a balance sheet. No more and no less since that is the criteria for the EM takeover.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •