View Poll Results: What is your stance on School Uniforms?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes and the school should offer them at no extra cost.

    30 22.73%
  • Yes and the parents should pay for them.

    46 34.85%
  • They should be optional for students who want them

    2 1.52%
  • There should be school uniforms for specific activities only

    4 3.03%
  • We should leave it to the parents to decide if the school should have uniforms

    12 9.09%
  • We should leave it at municipal/state level

    10 7.58%
  • We shouldn't have school uniforms at all

    28 21.21%
  • I like the current way things are.

    8 6.06%
  • I hate uniforms

    11 8.33%
  • I'm a potato.

    16 12.12%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3644454647 LastLast
Results 451 to 460 of 461

Thread: Do you support school uniforms?

  1. #451
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:42 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    67,954

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    Ahh, I see. In the absence of any real or logical argument, you instead decide to blame me for the entire public school system. Got it. Thank goodness someone here isn't being ridiculous.
    I think that you have this debate pegged...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I'm sexist and hypocritical, lol:

  2. #452
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    44,710

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    In claiming to be "defending" the Constitution, they are defending Nazis, terrorists and others pieces of ****s beliefs.
    Nazis, terrorists and others pieces of ****s?

    You mean like this guy?

    Which one is he?
    Mitt Romney: "Trump's promises are as worthless as a degree from Trump University."

  3. #453
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:42 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    67,954

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Nazis, terrorists and others pieces of ****s?

    You mean like this guy?

    Which one is he?
    He is an overweight piece of ****...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I'm sexist and hypocritical, lol:

  4. #454
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    44,710

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He is an overweight piece of ****...
    So, that makes Nazis, terrorists and others pieces of ****s, and overweight pieces of ****.
    Mitt Romney: "Trump's promises are as worthless as a degree from Trump University."

  5. #455
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 12:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Are you sure?

    Remember, this is just volume 1:

    Attachment 67152467
    You're a funny guy!

  6. #456
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    44,710

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    You're a funny guy!
    Hey, understanding women is easy for you, you are one.
    I am beginning to get a little bit of understanding, having been married to one for 45 years and counting, but still see many places on the female map still marked "here there be dragons."
    Mitt Romney: "Trump's promises are as worthless as a degree from Trump University."

  7. #457
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 12:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Hey, understanding women is easy for you, you are one.
    I am beginning to get a little bit of understanding, having been married to one for 45 years and counting, but still see many places on the female map still marked "here there be dragons."
    That is hilarious!

  8. #458
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    10-01-17 @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    583

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    This is a copy/paste of a real letter written by a real high school student to a real school board.
    I agree with her.
    But before being too critical, remember that it was written by a child who is not here to defend herself.

    It is an open letter but I will X the school name and student name because I don't think she meant "this open".

    School Board Members,

    I am writing to you about the dress code. I can imagine that you receive many letters, emails and phone calls regarding this subject given it’s controversial and rather aggravating nature. However, I believe my letter will offer you some much needed variation, while still voicing the concerns of many XXXX County residents. I despise the dress code. It is honestly the single most irritating facet of my education, and given the multitude of issues I have with the public education system, that is impressive.

    To begin with, I have yet, in the eight years since the dress code has been implemented, been given a reason for the dress code that is valid, or logical. In fact, many of the reasons I have been given prove to not only be illogical, but devolve the goals of any educational institution. Let’s go through these reasons.

    The dress code was implemented to discourage criminal gang activity.

    Okay here is the thing: if this was true, dress code would not only need to be enforced during regular school hours, but at every school function that occurs. Schools in California that implement dress code due to gang activity enforce it at any school function and design the dress code around the basis that certain clothing is representative of gang activity. If XXXX County has attempted to do this, it has failed, horribly. For one, my high school, uses the colors red, white and black as the designated school colors. One of the biggest and most widespread gangs in the United States use red and black as their representative colors. While that doesn’t mean that XXXX High has now become, or will ever be the stomping grounds for this gang, it does mean that if the gang were to become active in the area, any prospective members attending XXXX High would not only be able to wear the gang’s colors, it would be required. This is an entirely hypothetical situation, though said gang has been active in Panama city before, so this does not fall entirely out of the realm of possibility. Secondly for a dress code policy to be truly effective in discouraging and possibly reducing gang activity it would need to be a standard, county wide dress code that had little variation from school to school with more specifications than the one currently in place.


    2. The dress code is used to prevent bullying and to take the focus away from appearance.

    This reason is actually laughable. By my own observation alone, I have determined that it doesn’t matter that we are all required to wear red shirts; everyone knows who got their polo from Walmart, and who got theirs from Hollister. Teenagers can recognize the brand name of jeans like biologists can determine strains of algae. The only impact school dress code has had on bullying is that now instead of making fun of the ratty t-shirt someone wore, they are making fun of the ratty polo someone is wearing. At least when a student has the freedom to choose their own clothing, they can pick colors that make them feel confident, clothes they feel comfortable in. With the uniform, students are subjected to wearing things they don’t feel secure in,and the stress of being bullied for what they are wearing has not been eliminated.

    3. School dress code will make it easier to identify someone who does not belong on the campus.

    With the recent spike in school shootings, it is easy to understand an increased attentiveness to safety, and ways to prevent such tragedies are much needed. However, there are several flaws with this idea. Anyone who has the wherewithal to obtain a weapon and access a school campus by bypassing the many new security feautures already in place, is most likely knowledgeable of the dress code and would go through the measurements of making sure they wore an appropriate colored t-shirt. (For example, anyone wearing a white T-shirt could enter a school campus, and based on this application of the dress code, not only “belong”, but blend in.) Another concern is that students from other schools would access campus grounds that are not their own, and uniform shirts would make it easier to identify someone who is doing so. I again refer to the white T-shirt argument, as well as pointing out that while teenagers may be ruled by selfish thoughts and hormonal inclinations, they are not devoid of a brain. If I wanted to go on to XXX’s campus during school hours as a student from XXXX, I would either put on an orange T-shirt, or simply wear the white polo I was wearing to my high school anyways. In addition, for this argument to be complete anyone who belongs on campus should be required to wear a dress code of the same color scheme, including faculty and staff, because there are many days I have seen staff on campus that I could not have been abled to identify as staff if asked. I do not see teachers and administrators agreeing to these strict policies now or in the future. While the “school safety” reason is one of the weakest arguments made, it is ironically, given the most often.

    4. School dress code will put more focus on academics.

    In the past two days, the enforcement of school dress code has taken at least thirty minutes out of my class time, and combined with other friends who have been subjected to “correction” at least a total of 4 hours, between the five recounting of events I have heard. Not to mention the administrators who barge through classes, interrupting instruction time, to do a “spot check” for uniform. Correct me if I am mistaken, but aren’t these the very disruptions we are trying to avoid, particularly with such limited time in each class? Not only are teachers charged with an additional task that takes away time they could be using to focus on improving test scores, but the punishment for the school dress code discourages even the most dedicated students. For students looking for a reason to not come to school, facing authority figures who are on the lookout for something as simple as the wrong colored shirt to carry out a punishment, it is easy for them to choose skipping. I value my time in class, I find it essential to learning. If something as simple as the wrong material is going to cause me to miss an AICE Econ lecture because I have to go to ISS and sort out my offensive infraction, there is a major issue.

    In addition to none of the reasons provided for enforcing the dress code being valid, there is also the issue that it is a major waste of time and resources. Coincidentally time and resources are the two things Florida schools can never get enough of. When I am looking for an administrator so that I can ask a serious question pertaining to something that could actually be considered important, and that administrator is stomping around campus policing collars and coattails, it is infuriating. I have also spoken to many teachers who have complained that when they need assistance from an administrator, it is extremely difficult to reach them, due to the aforementioned stomping.

    To add a personal experience, which in all honesty, inspired the construction of this letter, I will share with you the humiliating experience I had on the third day of school. I had worn a denim dress of appropriate length over top of a white polo shirt, thinking I was following dress code. It turns out denim dresses were not in accordance with the dress code, which was news to me. Instead of being given a warning, I was forced to go to ISS with two options: Remain there for the rest of the day, maring my immaculate school behaviour record, or change my attire. Obviously I chose the second option. However when I reached the (smelly) inventory of clothing of which I had to choose from, I had to wear a pair of pants that not only would I have never worn in a million years on my own, but that were also four sizes too big for me. It was humiliating. While I tried to handle to handle the situation affably, I was fuming and embarrassed on the inside. Not only was it my senior year and I was being forced to wear clothes that I hated, but I felt hideous. I was embarrassed and uncomfortable for the rest of the day, which brings back reasons 2 and 4 previously mentioned. The dress code caused me to miss class time, and it made me feel insecure at school. I don’t blame the teacher who sent me to ISS because I have witnessed first hand the repercussions teachers face when they do not follow orders given by the administration. They are unfairly tasked with a responsibility that they not only don’t have time for, but that many don’t like or agree with. I have amicable relationships with much of the administration, but this type of excessive management and enforcement creates an unpleasant environment for everyone involved.

    Overall the school dress code has caused more issues than it has solved. It has failed to alleviate social pressure, it is an ineffective form of security and does nothing to promote education, which if I am correct, is the main purpose of school. Either dramatically improve the technicalities of the school dress code, or remove it, and revert back to the “Boobs, Butt, Belly” rule which is fair and makes sense and does not inhibit the personal comfort of both teacher and student.

    -Aren xxx xxxx
    I am curious if this letter changes anyone's mind?
    I was already against uniforms and so I am unable to tell if the letter merely enforces my own opinion or if it is good enough to change opinion.

  9. #459
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    8,874

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    This is a copy/paste of a real letter written by a real high school student to a real school board.
    I agree with her.
    But before being too critical, remember that it was written by a child who is not here to defend herself.

    It is an open letter but I will X the school name and student name because I don't think she meant "this open".



    I am curious if this letter changes anyone's mind?
    I was already against uniforms and so I am unable to tell if the letter merely enforces my own opinion or if it is good enough to change opinion.
    It didn't change my mind at all, though it was a well-written letter. I'm in a fairly unique situation, as I grew up in a home with parents as teachers and administrators. I now work as a teacher and have family in administration. I have perspective and insights many people simply don't. All of which is to say the observations of a student, even when I was a student, simply are ignorant to the "big picture". I know things now I never would have known as a student. And I understand things now I never would have understood if I was just a teacher with no family in administration. Too many people don't know or understand the many variables which enter into equations and simply have no access to big picture data.

    This student's letter was, almost entirely, conjecture, theory and anecdotal evidence. Furthermore, it appears as if the letter was written in the introductory phases of implementation, not after having time to work. Introductory phases to new policies are always bumpy, it's just inevitable. It's what happens over time which really counts. For what it's worth, it appears her school probably has some refining to do to the dress code, but that's not uncommon either. Implementing a huge change like this, it's not hard to see why some situations simply could not be foreseen and need to be addressed later.

    This was a well-written letter, a letter in which the student should be proud, but it is, mostly, coming from a position of ignorance. I have no doubt the student is not privy to the information the school will have, and I have little doubt the dress policy simply has not had enough time to work out the kinks and have any real data on effectiveness.

    So, no, it doesn't change my mind at all. I've seen firsthand the benefits a stricter dress code can have and I would remind her and everyone else the purpose of school is to learn, not to worry about what clothes you are wearing.

  10. #460
    unstable genius
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,026

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    It didn't change my mind at all, though it was a well-written letter. I'm in a fairly unique situation, as I grew up in a home with parents as teachers and administrators. I now work as a teacher and have family in administration. I have perspective and insights many people simply don't. All of which is to say the observations of a student, even when I was a student, simply are ignorant to the "big picture". I know things now I never would have known as a student. And I understand things now I never would have understood if I was just a teacher with no family in administration. Too many people don't know or understand the many variables which enter into equations and simply have no access to big picture data.

    This student's letter was, almost entirely, conjecture, theory and anecdotal evidence. Furthermore, it appears as if the letter was written in the introductory phases of implementation, not after having time to work. Introductory phases to new policies are always bumpy, it's just inevitable. It's what happens over time which really counts. For what it's worth, it appears her school probably has some refining to do to the dress code, but that's not uncommon either. Implementing a huge change like this, it's not hard to see why some situations simply could not be foreseen and need to be addressed later.

    This was a well-written letter, a letter in which the student should be proud, but it is, mostly, coming from a position of ignorance. I have no doubt the student is not privy to the information the school will have, and I have little doubt the dress policy simply has not had enough time to work out the kinks and have any real data on effectiveness.

    So, no, it doesn't change my mind at all. I've seen firsthand the benefits a stricter dress code can have and I would remind her and everyone else the purpose of school is to learn, not to worry about what clothes you are wearing.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Letter
    To begin with, I have yet, in the eight years since the dress code has been implemented, been given a reason for the dress code that is valid, or logical. In fact, many of the reasons I have been given prove to not only be illogical, but devolve the goals of any educational institution. Let’s go through these reasons.
    All brown uniforms would be best. No gang would use brown.

Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3644454647 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •