View Poll Results: What is your stance on School Uniforms?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes and the school should offer them at no extra cost.

    30 22.73%
  • Yes and the parents should pay for them.

    46 34.85%
  • They should be optional for students who want them

    2 1.52%
  • There should be school uniforms for specific activities only

    4 3.03%
  • We should leave it to the parents to decide if the school should have uniforms

    12 9.09%
  • We should leave it at municipal/state level

    10 7.58%
  • We shouldn't have school uniforms at all

    28 21.21%
  • I like the current way things are.

    8 6.06%
  • I hate uniforms

    11 8.33%
  • I'm a potato.

    16 12.12%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 32 of 47 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 461

Thread: Do you support school uniforms?

  1. #311
    Renaissance Man
    Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mid-West USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    8,714
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Well..

    I have already made decisions on what my child is allowed to wear and what she is not and I don't need the government undermining my parenting decisions and frankly insulting me by saying they don't approve of them. The shorts I allow her to wear might be shorter than they allow and to be perfectly blunt I never asked for their opinion and my daughter doesn't need their approval on if her shorts are long enough. I might very well have different ideas on what I find acceptable than what complete strangers find acceptable and their opinion means nothing to me. The sooner they stop throwing their opinion in areas that they are not asked to have one the better.

    She wants to express herself and one such outlet is through clothing and someone that understands the importance of being yourself and establishing who you are as a person I support her desire to do so. I don't stand against uniforms for me, but for children that simply want to express themselves for who they are. There is nothing wrong with having more money than other people or being more popular than someone else and I'm not going to humor the idea that there is. So my child has nice clothes and some other kid doesn't, so what. That is just life. I'm not going to lose sleep over that other kid and I'm not going to support restricting the expression of my girl because of it.
    IMO the problem lies in your thinking that your child's clothing expression is the most important form when she is attending school. Perhaps you need a better grasp of what the educational system was set up for, since you keep ignoring all the examples of student expression that have nothing to to with clothing. You also keep ignoring the primary purpose of school, unless your child is going to secondary school at the Fashion Institute...in that case who cares? LOL
    If I stop responding it doesn't mean I've conceded the point or agree with you. It only means I've made my point and I don't mind you having the last word. Please wait a few minutes before "quoting" me. I often correct errors for a minute or two after I post before the final product is ready.

  2. #312
    Renaissance Man
    Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mid-West USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    8,714
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    All the examples you quoted involve a person having a choice to choose a profession that involves wearing a uniform. Yes choice, an individual decision. Business dress is not a uniform but a reasonable dress code. Big difference.
    Let's see...how do I answer........

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Children are not adults. Do you understand the difference? Henrin doesn't. If a kid wants to wear something that their parent doesn't want them to wear, guess what? The kid is being oppressed and **** out of luck. No individuality. Oppression. Deal with the facts and stop trying to create some dreamland children's utopia where they have these mythical rights of individuality.
    What he said...
    If I stop responding it doesn't mean I've conceded the point or agree with you. It only means I've made my point and I don't mind you having the last word. Please wait a few minutes before "quoting" me. I often correct errors for a minute or two after I post before the final product is ready.

  3. #313
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:11 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,322

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Well..

    I have already made decisions on what my child is allowed to wear and what she is not and I don't need the government undermining my parenting decisions and frankly insulting me by saying they don't approve of them. The shorts I allow her to wear might be shorter than they allow and to be perfectly blunt I never asked for their opinion and my daughter doesn't need their approval on if her shorts are long enough. I might very well have different ideas on what I find acceptable than what complete strangers find acceptable and their opinion means nothing to me. The sooner they stop throwing their opinion in areas that they are not asked to have one the better.

    She wants to express herself and one such outlet is through clothing and someone that understands the importance of being yourself and establishing who you are as a person I support her desire to do so. I don't stand against uniforms for me, but for children that simply want to express themselves for who they are. There is nothing wrong with having more money than other people or being more popular than someone else and I'm not going to humor the idea that there is. So my child has nice clothes and some other kid doesn't, so what. That is just life. I'm not going to lose sleep over that other kid and I'm not going to support restricting the expression of my girl because of it.
    So you cherry pick one line out of his response and don't even bother to respond to mine that puts the hammer down on your argument? How intellectual dishonest of you. But that was expected, really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  4. #314
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,216

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Well..

    I have already made decisions on what my child is allowed to wear and what she is not and I don't need the government undermining my parenting decisions and frankly insulting me by saying they don't approve of them. The shorts I allow her to wear might be shorter than they allow and to be perfectly blunt I never asked for their opinion and my daughter doesn't need their approval on if her shorts are long enough. I might very well have different ideas on what I find acceptable than what complete strangers find acceptable and their opinion means nothing to me. The sooner they stop throwing their opinion in areas that they are not asked to have one the better.

    She wants to express herself and one such outlet is through clothing and someone that understands the importance of being yourself and establishing who you are as a person I support her desire to do so. I don't stand against uniforms for me, but for children that simply want to express themselves for who they are. There is nothing wrong with having more money than other people or being more popular than someone else and I'm not going to humor the idea that there is. So my child has nice clothes and some other kid doesn't, so what. That is just life. I'm not going to lose sleep over that other kid and I'm not going to support restricting the expression of my girl because of it.
    Amen. There are a lot of parents out there that feel the same. They are against school uniforms because it's more government employed elites who think they know whats best, less freedom, less individual decision-making. Most folks fully support reasonable dress codes. However since this debate over mandatory uniforms in public schools has been raging for over a decade, it is clear the majority are keeping them out of their school districts. Cheers!

  5. #315
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,216

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    Let's see...how do I answer........



    What he said...
    A parent's rules over their children are one thing....... a pinheaded government employee making such calls is altogether something else.
    Last edited by vesper; 08-16-13 at 10:03 PM.

  6. #316
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:11 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,322

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    All the examples you quoted involve a person having a choice to choose a profession that involves wearing a uniform. Yes choice, an individual decision. Business dress is not a uniform but a reasonable dress code. Big difference.
    And you won't answer my question either... you are both intellectual cowards. Lame.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  7. #317
    Renaissance Man
    Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mid-West USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    8,714
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    A parent's rules over their children are one thing....... a pinheaded government employee making such calls is altogether something else.
    Gee, and you completely overlooked all the school rules that parents have no say over that Bodhisattva listed, didn't you? Your strongest response is a personal attack too.

    IMO, when people stop responding to the issue and turn to personal attacks or other fallacious arguments...it's because they don't really have any valid argument in the first place.

    Thanks for proving my point.
    If I stop responding it doesn't mean I've conceded the point or agree with you. It only means I've made my point and I don't mind you having the last word. Please wait a few minutes before "quoting" me. I often correct errors for a minute or two after I post before the final product is ready.

  8. #318
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    So you cherry pick one line out of his response and don't even bother to respond to mine that puts the hammer down on your argument? How intellectual dishonest of you. But that was expected, really.
    What hammer? The school governing the operations of the school has no bearing on my case. Did it ever cross your mind that I ignored your post because it was irreverent?

  9. #319
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    IMO the problem lies in your thinking that your child's clothing expression is the most important form when she is attending school. Perhaps you need a better grasp of what the educational system was set up for, since you keep ignoring all the examples of student expression that have nothing to to with clothing. You also keep ignoring the primary purpose of school, unless your child is going to secondary school at the Fashion Institute...in that case who cares? LOL
    I don't value one more than the other actually. I just find it unacceptable to undermine my decisions I made for my child and to remove completely her freedom of expression. She has agreed to my choices and accepts my guidance, but you, I don't remember giving you a say on what she can wear and she doesn't want to wear your uniform. Back off.

  10. #320
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,216

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    Gee, and you completely overlooked all the school rules that parents have no say over that Bodhisattva listed, didn't you? Your strongest response is a personal attack too.

    IMO, when people stop responding to the issue and turn to personal attacks or other fallacious arguments...it's because they don't really have any valid argument in the first place.

    Thanks for proving my point.
    Bodhisattva didn't make a valid point that warranted a response. because whether you recognize it or not, parents still have a say on any matter that goes on in their school districts. And when the majority reaches whatever direction in which to proceed is how things will be. My argument is only fallacious to you because you do not agree with it. But fortunately across this country more agree with me than they do with you for if they would be agreeing with you there would more schools mandating forced uniforms.

Page 32 of 47 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •