View Poll Results: What is your stance on School Uniforms?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes and the school should offer them at no extra cost.

    30 22.73%
  • Yes and the parents should pay for them.

    46 34.85%
  • They should be optional for students who want them

    2 1.52%
  • There should be school uniforms for specific activities only

    4 3.03%
  • We should leave it to the parents to decide if the school should have uniforms

    12 9.09%
  • We should leave it at municipal/state level

    10 7.58%
  • We shouldn't have school uniforms at all

    28 21.21%
  • I like the current way things are.

    8 6.06%
  • I hate uniforms

    11 8.33%
  • I'm a potato.

    16 12.12%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 30 of 47 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 461

Thread: Do you support school uniforms?

  1. #291
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:37 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,311

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Setting rules and punishments for misbehavior is the exact kind of behavior I expect, but what I don't expect is that if a child is doing nothing wrong they are acted on and allowed absolutely no freedom in how they are able to dress because someone else is bullying students. Why is it that innocent parties are being acted on because someone else is acting up? How is that justified?
    Wearing a uniform is not a punishment. You think that it is. You are wrong.

    Most of the bullying that happens is way out of a teachers sight and control. The internet and text messaging is something we can not monitor. You don't like a great solution. Fine. Again, I am a teacher giving you an expert opinion based off of years of experience. You don't want to listen to me or to other educators.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  2. #292
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:37 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,311

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Controlling how someone dresses absolutely or very near to it is oppressive.
    You again show that you have no idea what it means to be a parent... or that you are perhaps a parent that has had the state take away your child due to you innane lack of rules philosophy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  3. #293
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Wearing a uniform is not a punishment. You think that it is. You are wrong.
    I never said it was punishment, but that it's acting on innocent parties that did nothing wrong. To act on innocent parties doesn't mean that you are necessarily issuing out a punishment.

    Most of the bullying that happens is way out of a teachers sight and control. The internet and text messaging is something we can not monitor. You don't like a great solution. Fine. Again, I am a teacher giving you an expert opinion based off of years of experience. You don't want to listen to me or to other educators.
    What happens on the Internet or in text messaging is not your concern.

  4. #294
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    You again show that you have no idea what it means to be a parent... or that you are perhaps a parent that has had the state take away your child due to you innane lack of rules philosophy.
    Insulting my parenting ability is supposed to be what?

  5. #295
    Renaissance Man
    Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mid-West USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    8,706
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Controlling how someone dresses absolutely or very near to it is oppressive, it is overbearing and it is absolute in it's nature.
    Only in your limited perspective. Being required to wear a school uniform during a limited period of time while in a school environment is not oppressive. It is not absolute because all the rest of the non-school day and on weekends kids can express their fashion senses to their little hearts desire. Now if I was saying that EVERYONE had to wear a uniform 24/7 year-round for the entirety of their lives...THAT would smack of "Big Brother."

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    There is no oppression from fitting in. It's a normal part of life that everyone has to deal with. To call natural occurrences oppression is absolute idiocy. I don't even care about the last two. Meh..
    For a person arguing "free expression" it appears that you really don't care much about your own position. Otherwise you would NEVER have made the statement I underlined. In fact, you've pretty much undermined your own argument, since "uniformity" eases ones ability to "fit in."

    This also exemplifies the complete and utter lack of logic in your responses.
    If I stop responding it doesn't mean I've conceded the point or agree with you. It only means I've made my point and I don't mind you having the last word. Please wait a few minutes before "quoting" me. I often correct errors for a minute or two after I post before the final product is ready.

  6. #296
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:37 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,311

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I never said it was punishment, but that it's acting on innocent parties that did nothing wrong. To act on innocent parties doesn't mean that you are necessarily issuing out a punishment.
    Sure sounds like you do:

    Originally Posted by Henrin
    Setting rules and punishments for misbehavior is the exact kind of behavior I expect
    You clearly indicate that by innocent parties having to wear a uniform because others misbehave is a punishment.

    What happens on the Internet or in text messaging is not your concern.
    I know. But you want us to monitor bullying so that we can punish the bully insteado of issuing uniforms... we can't monitor most bullying, nor do we want to. So you set up an unwinnable situation for teachers and then complain about a solution. Thanks...

    Insulting my parenting ability is supposed to be what?
    Oh, you have it wrong. I was not insutling your parenting ability... I was saying that you seem to havea complete lack of ability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  7. #297
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    Only in your limited perspective. Being required to wear a school uniform during a limited period of time while in a school environment is not oppressive.
    Explain how it's not oppressive to restrict what they are allowed to wear to exactly what you tell them to wear.

    It is not absolute because all the rest of the non-school day and on weekends kids can express their fashion senses to their little hearts desire. Now if I was saying that EVERYONE had to wear a uniform 24/7 year-round for the entirety of their lives...THAT would smack of "Big Brother."
    If we were talking about every minute of the day you would be right but since we are only talking about inside the walls of the school and the rules inside that environment you are just playing a little game here to avoid the issue.

    For a person arguing "free expression" it appears that you really don't care much about your own position. Otherwise you would NEVER have made the statement I underlined. In fact, you've pretty much undermined your own argument, since "uniformity" eases ones ability to "fit in."
    Fitting in or not fitting in there is no oppression taking place. It's just a natural occurrence of people that we all must learn to deal with. Who exactly is oppressing you because you don't fit in?

  8. #298
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:37 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,311

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Explain how it's not oppressive to restrict what they are allowed to wear to exactly what you tell them to wear.
    Explain how a uniform is more oppressive or any different than telling a kid what time to be in class, where to sit in class, when they are allowed to talk, to stay in for lunch detention, when they can text, when they can open their book or write, etc. You have no argument bro... just get the hell over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  9. #299
    Renaissance Man
    Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mid-West USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    8,706
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Explain how it's not oppressive to restrict what they are allowed to wear to exactly what you tell them to wear.
    Bodhisattva beat me to the answer for this one:

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Explain how a uniform is more oppressive or any different than telling a kid what time to be in class, where to sit in class, when they are allowed to talk, to stay in for lunch detention, when they can text, when they can open their book or write, etc. You have no argument bro... just get the hell over it.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    If we were talking about every minute of the day you would be right but since we are only talking about inside the walls of the school and the rules inside that environment you are just playing a little game here to avoid the issue.
    See prior answer from Bodhisattva above.

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Fitting in or not fitting in there is no oppression taking place. It's just a natural occurrence of people that we all must learn to deal with. Who exactly is oppressing you because you don't fit in?
    Your argument has no merit. It is entirely emotional, and consistently ignores what has already been presented to you. The only person avoiding the issue is you, in a vain attempt to press a "freedom of expression" argument in an environment where children already have outlets for that expression that don't involve the fancy duds you bought them. Is it really the kids expression you are worried about? Or could it possibly be the thrill YOU get buying them stuff to impress their freinds with? LOL
    If I stop responding it doesn't mean I've conceded the point or agree with you. It only means I've made my point and I don't mind you having the last word. Please wait a few minutes before "quoting" me. I often correct errors for a minute or two after I post before the final product is ready.

  10. #300
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,198

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I am a teacher giving you expert opinion based off of years in the business and I am telling you what works.
    A dress code isn't the way the real world operates and a concern of all educators should be to prepare a student for the real world. Whether you accept it or not, school uniforms
    diminish free expression in our youth at a time when young people are trying desperately to establish who they are as an individual. There's no shortage of collectivist thinkers in academia. They tend to go hand in hand these days. So something like the importance of individuality goes over your head. That is why your support as an educator for forced uniforms doesn't come as any surprise. For it is a stellar example of collectivism. Unfortunately collectivism produces followers not leaders. Pity you don't want to take the effort to nurture and encourage individuality for that is where leaders and innovators arise.

Page 30 of 47 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •