View Poll Results: What is your stance on School Uniforms?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes and the school should offer them at no extra cost.

    30 22.73%
  • Yes and the parents should pay for them.

    46 34.85%
  • They should be optional for students who want them

    2 1.52%
  • There should be school uniforms for specific activities only

    4 3.03%
  • We should leave it to the parents to decide if the school should have uniforms

    12 9.09%
  • We should leave it at municipal/state level

    10 7.58%
  • We shouldn't have school uniforms at all

    28 21.21%
  • I like the current way things are.

    8 6.06%
  • I hate uniforms

    11 8.33%
  • I'm a potato.

    16 12.12%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 21 of 47 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 461

Thread: Do you support school uniforms?

  1. #201
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I'm against political correctness for the most part, but I am for a dress code. I must be really mixed up!
    No, you just have a mind of your own... which is not politically correct, btw.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #202
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    No, you just have a mind of your own... which is not politically correct, btw.
    Thank goodness for that!

  3. #203
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,986

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I'm against political correctness for the most part, but I am for a dress code. I must be really mixed up!
    Well, according to your profile, you are a woman...



    I kid, I kid!

  4. #204
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    Well, according to your profile, you are a woman...



    I kid, I kid!
    Yes, very funny indeed.

  5. #205
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Uniforms would only be a small part of the solution.
    Having the adults in charge would be a much larger part of it.
    You don't need uniforms to maintain order and adults are already in charge.

  6. #206
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,986

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    You don't need uniforms to maintain order and adults are already in charge.
    Both true. You also don't need meaty tomato sauce on your spaghetti noodles, but doesn't it make it so much better?

  7. #207
    Sage
    longview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,374

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Thankfully, my children are adults now, but when they were in school,
    I gave a fair amount of thought to this subject.
    When the kids were in intermediate school, uniforms began to be required,
    and it did appear to improve both moral and discipline.
    This is from the observation of an involved parent.
    Most of us ware uniforms everyday, as most places of employment
    have some for of dress code.
    The goal for most parents, is to see their children become happy,
    successful, productive members of society.
    If school uniforms help with this that's ok.
    On a different level, I think the uniforms could be made by the
    state prisons, and sold to the parents at the cost of goods sold.

  8. #208
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,903

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    I generally find those who are against political correctness are those who are racist, sexist or otherwise prejudiced and hate the fact they cannot express their prejudiced views without others calling them out for it. Does this describe you?

    Wanting a strict dress code has nothing to do with political correctness. It has to do with promoting the best learning atmosphere possible.
    I find those who support political correctness to be of the collectivist mindset who like to think they are the sharpest pencils in the box and they have convinced themselves they know what's best for everyone . They are control freaks and if you dare have a thought different from their view they label you racist, sexist etc. They either are incapable of seeing what they often propose as solutions or they just don't give a damn that their actions rob people of their liberties and freedom. They have earned the title "Thought Police" Does this describe you?

    Forcing public school students to wear uniforms robs students of the freedom to express themselves. It has everything to do with Political Correctness. No one in this country including students should be forced to remove from their person something that is an expression of who they are as an INDIVIDUAL. There are cases being reported all over this country where students wearing things like shirts with American Flags, or supporting the NRA. wearing crucifixes, yamakas, or Muslim girls wearing head coverings being told to remove such items because someone has a problem with it. Most often what students are being forced to remove are directly related to their 1st Amendment rights.

  9. #209
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    I noticed one thing about the "people have to buy their kids school clothes now" argument about cost of uniforms that is being either overlooked or people don't realize. There are a lot of families that are poor that get their school clothes from relatives as hand-me-downs or go to thrift stores or look for the bargain clothes. Like Aunt said, school uniforms or even just restrictive dress codes require certain clothes that aren't necessarily (and in general likely aren't) going to be found in those situations. My family got a box of clothes every year or so from my great aunt in Michigan because her kids were a few years older than us and that was a major source of clothes for us. My siblings got very few new clothes. Most of theirs were hand-me-downs from the older kids. Even now with my kids, I shop at thrift stores and look for things on discount racks when buying clothes for them. I have boys, but I've seen plenty of stuff for girls that would be respectable. However, it isn't likely that you would find uniform items on such discount racks. And it also isn't likely that I would get their clothes for so cheap, even if buying them from the school. Plus, I would still have to buy clothes for them to wear after school and on days off. It isn't like this cuts down on costs, like some believe. And it really wouldn't cut down on time to get them dressed either if you are teaching your children to actually put their clothes away or pull out what they are going to wear the night before.

    Now, I think that the discipline/increased learning is a benefit, but I don't think it is for every district. I think some districts do just fine without the need for a uniform. A simple dress code should do just fine for most areas and most people. There are certain districts where uniforms or a highly restrictive dress code would likely be very beneficial and should likely be implemented. But also, I think it should definitely include some that do not cost the school.

    I don't think there would be much in the way of hiding the "haves" and "have nots" though, at least not in the older grades for the first few years of its implementation because these students already know each other. That knowledge won't go away just because there are uniforms. Plus, there are always going to be ways to identify those who don't have all that much money.

    (Oh, and as for the restrictive hair cuts and hair colors thing, I think that is completely wrong. That should be a student's choice. Unless it is truly a distraction, such as hair that blocks vision or has offensive words/symbols in it, it should be allowed.)
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #210
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,986

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    I find those who support political correctness to be of the collectivist mindset who like to think they are the sharpest pencils in the box and they have convinced themselves they know what's best for everyone .
    Or they simply think it's good to be respectful to people. You seem to disagree.

    They are control freaks
    Or they believe in treating people with respect.

    and if you dare have a thought different from their view they label you racist, sexist etc.
    Well...if the shoe fits....

    They either are incapable of seeing what they often propose as solutions or they just don't give a damn that their actions rob people of their liberties and freedom. They have earned the title "Thought Police" Does this describe you?


    Let me see if I have this correct. You want to have the liberty and freedom to be insult an entire classification of people for no better reason than because they belong to that class, and yet you condemn those who exercise THEIR liberty and freedom to insult you for your specific actions.

    Is that essentially what you're saying?

    Forcing public school students to wear uniforms robs students of the freedom to express themselves.
    No, it doesn't. I've already proven this statement false earlier in this thread. Expressing yourself is not limited to mass produced designer clothing. The school is not demanding the child be dressed to their standards 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Your argument here is simply false.

    It has everything to do with Political Correctness.
    No it doesn't. It has everything to do with promoting a better learning environment.

    No one in this country including students should be forced to remove from their person something that is an expression of who they are as an INDIVIDUAL.
    If your feeling of individuality is so external as to be tied up into the clothes you wear, I suggest you re-evaluate who you are as a person.

    There are cases being reported all over this country where students wearing things like shirts with American Flags, or supporting the NRA. wearing crucifixes, yamakas, or Muslim girls wearing head coverings being told to remove such items because someone has a problem with it.
    Or because it is causing a distraction to the learning environment.

    Most often what students are being forced to remove are directly related to their 1st Amendment rights.
    No it's not. But even if this was true, there's a common saying which is your rights end where mine begin. And if your clothing interferes with my right to an education, then you are no longer granted unlimited exercise of your rights.

    You could not be more wrong if you tried.

Page 21 of 47 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •