View Poll Results: What is your stance on School Uniforms?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes and the school should offer them at no extra cost.

    30 22.73%
  • Yes and the parents should pay for them.

    46 34.85%
  • They should be optional for students who want them

    2 1.52%
  • There should be school uniforms for specific activities only

    4 3.03%
  • We should leave it to the parents to decide if the school should have uniforms

    12 9.09%
  • We should leave it at municipal/state level

    10 7.58%
  • We shouldn't have school uniforms at all

    28 21.21%
  • I like the current way things are.

    8 6.06%
  • I hate uniforms

    11 8.33%
  • I'm a potato.

    16 12.12%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 19 of 47 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 461

Thread: Do you support school uniforms?

  1. #181
    Part of the problem.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,735

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    See, for a guy that would be a lot of clothes...apparently for a girl? Not so much! LOL

    That's a lot of money! You are such a good mommy. BTW, any more mice in your sink? Or was that someone else....
    Thanks! And no, no mice for me. Must be someone else. Although we have had water moccasins in our neighborhood over the last few days. I think I'd rather have the mice!
    https://www.CoastalVeteransAdvocacyCenter.org

    Please visit my website. It's a 100% non-profit for Veterans and their families. You can go there to donate, or you can go there if you are a vet and need help.

  2. #182
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    07-17-18 @ 08:12 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    67,940

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Am I wrong? To be an individual means you accept certain risks, while on the other hand if you conform to the group many of those risks go with that decision. I already knew this long before I learned of any studies results on school uniforms or heard anyone talk of the benefits of schools having uniforms. It takes no amount of study to know that if everyone dressed the same that people would have less to separate themselves from others and this would cause certain tensions to be resolved as a result. Anyone with any amount of experience in this world can figure it out on their own. You aren't teaching me anything by reporting on it and I'm not at all moved by any of the benefits you have presented. Sorry, but I find nothing of value in simply being part of a collective.
    I know that I am not teaching you anything... you are a poor student. As a teacher that has over 20 years experience in private schools, inner cty schools, uniforms, no uniforms and that has taught in two different countries my knowledge and expertise far outweighs anything that you could offer. Your insistence that it causes an individual to lose individuality just doesn't exist. It is flat out incorrect. You are wrong. I can't put it any more simply or directly than that. It has nothing to do with a collective. Your conclusion that it would cause tension is simply wrong. To indicate that it takes some experience in this world to understand this is ridiculous. You are hopelessly wrong. I am more worried about becoming assimulated into the Borg collective than one brought on by school uniforms. I would suggest that you get some more experience in this world before indicating that you have much of your own....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I'm sexist and hypocritical, lol:

  3. #183
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    07-17-18 @ 08:12 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    67,940

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Thousands of high-end private schools would prove you wrong.
    They end up white collar crime and have better lawyers that keep them out of prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I'm sexist and hypocritical, lol:

  4. #184
    Global Moderator
    May the force be with you
    Serenity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    20,672

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Eh, i wore school uniform for my entire schooling apart from my last year as i chose to transfer schools to do a particular subject for my TER score that my current School did not offer.

    School uniforms were so much better and easier. Hands down.

  5. #185
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 02:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I know that I am not teaching you anything... you are a poor student. As a teacher that has over 20 years experience in private schools, inner cty schools, uniforms, no uniforms and that has taught in two different countries my knowledge and expertise far outweighs anything that you could offer. Your insistence that it causes an individual to lose individuality just doesn't exist. It is flat out incorrect. You are wrong. I can't put it any more simply or directly than that. It has nothing to do with a collective. Your conclusion that it would cause tension is simply wrong. To indicate that it takes some experience in this world to understand this is ridiculous. You are hopelessly wrong. I am more worried about becoming assimulated into the Borg collective than one brought on by school uniforms. I would suggest that you get some more experience in this world before indicating that you have much of your own....
    I didn't say uniforms would create tensions, but that it would resolve tensions. In fact, I admit that all of your arguments are true. I just don't consider them worth anything.

    Btw, do you actually know the reason that the military spends so much time worrying about appearances? I know you will say discipline, but that comes as a result of what they are doing.
    Last edited by Henrin; 08-12-13 at 01:21 AM.

  6. #186
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 02:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by TiredOfLife View Post
    LOL. That's a little extreme don't you think? Besides, they look cute in them. When we make them wear orange jumpsuits with leg irons, then I'll be on your side.
    They have no choice in being there.

    They can't leave.

    They are told where to be and when to be there

    They are provided little lunches that taste like wallpaper. These days school are more and more focused on only providing kids healthy food and attempting to remove all sorts of choices children might make that schools find "unacceptable". Guess who else is only interested in providing healthy food that tastes like wallpaper? Prison.

    In the case of school uniforms they are told exactly what to wear without exception and in many cases without deviation. However, if they are allowed some deviation it's always extremely limited.

    Schools are a prison for children. Look at the evidence and it's all right there. It acts like a prison, it operates like a prison, and hell, it's even monitored like a prison.
    Last edited by Henrin; 08-12-13 at 01:38 AM.

  7. #187
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,774

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by TiredOfLife View Post
    LOL. That's a little extreme don't you think? Besides, they look cute in them. When we make them wear orange jumpsuits with leg irons, then I'll be on your side.
    School uniforms do come in orange, and why not its much more visible right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Thousands of high-end private schools would prove you wrong.
    Dont worry about it, I wasnt being serious.

    Clothing isnt going to make anyone go to prison. Some people want kids to wear school uniforms though because they think that clothing will make all the difference in their education.
    Or they will claim that it will somehow erase the fact that some kids have more or less money. They forget that the same kids live near each other and dont wear school uniforms around the neighborhood.


    In 1998 they did some research on school uniforms: Research: Effects of Student Uniforms...


    Student uniform use was not significantly correlated with any of the school commitment variables such as absenteeism, behavior, or substance use (drugs). In addition, students wearing uniforms did not appear to have any significantly different academic preparedness, proschool attitudes, or peer group structures with proschool attitudes than other students. Moreover, the negative correlations between the attitudinal variables and the various outcomes of interest are significant; hence, the predictive analysis provides more substantive results. David L. Brunsma, D.L. and Rockquemore, K.A. (1998) Effects of Student Uniforms on Attendance, Behavior Problems, Substance Abuse, and Academic Achievement, The Journal of Education Research Volume 92, Number 1, Sept./Oct. 1998, pp. 53-62

  8. #188
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 04:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    So are all forms of discipline - should we toss those too?
    Discipline is a means to an end, not an end to itself. The goal of discipline in school should be to provide kids with learning skills, knowledge and to create a school environment conducive to learning. That type of necessary discipline does not require stifling individuality and forced conformity, beyond conformity to the rules required to maintain a good learning environment.

  9. #189
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    07-17-18 @ 08:12 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    67,940

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Btw, do you actually know the reason that the military spends so much time worrying about appearances? I know you will say discipline, but that comes as a result of what they are doing.
    I was not the one talking about the military... but the reason is psychological. Brainwashing.

    I didn't say uniforms would create tensions, but that it would resolve tensions. In fact, I admit that all of your arguments are true.
    That is all that matter...

    I just don't consider them worth anything.
    That's fine. They are though...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I'm sexist and hypocritical, lol:

  10. #190
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 02:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I was not the one talking about the military... but the reason is psychological. Brainwashing.
    Which removing individuality and promoting conformity is part of.

    That is all that matter...
    So you only care about maintaining order? That is kind of sad.

    That's fine. They are though...
    Your arguments would have merit if you weren't trying to do the most extreme thing possible here. Not allowing individual expression is simply unacceptable.

Page 19 of 47 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •