View Poll Results: What is your stance on School Uniforms?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes and the school should offer them at no extra cost.

    30 22.73%
  • Yes and the parents should pay for them.

    46 34.85%
  • They should be optional for students who want them

    2 1.52%
  • There should be school uniforms for specific activities only

    4 3.03%
  • We should leave it to the parents to decide if the school should have uniforms

    12 9.09%
  • We should leave it at municipal/state level

    10 7.58%
  • We shouldn't have school uniforms at all

    28 21.21%
  • I like the current way things are.

    8 6.06%
  • I hate uniforms

    11 8.33%
  • I'm a potato.

    16 12.12%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 13 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 461

Thread: Do you support school uniforms?

  1. #121
    Sometimes wrong
    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    42,846

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    You're for school uniforms? Really? I don't see how school uniforms are about discipline, sorry.
    They reduce distractions, prevent distinctions (discrimination?) based on economic class and slightly improve school attendance.

    Benefits of School Uniforms

    Uniforms a growing debate in public schools

    Freakonomics Study Shows School Uniforms Improve Attendance, But Not Grades
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  2. #122
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 02:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    As I said earlier in the thread, as a student myself, I wore/didn't wear uniforms, and my kids both did/didn't wear uniforms. I'm a huge fan. Uniforms save money, cut down on unnecessary distractions in class, and help facilitate learning. Truthfully, I couldn't care less about nurturing students' "individuality" as expressed by fashion when they're at school. There's plenty of time outside of class and on weekends for kids to express themselves.
    What distractions in class? I don't remember any distractions in class growing up caused from clothes. People keep saying this kind of stuff, but I honestly don't get it. I'm constantly looking for ways to have as little rules as possible on individuals and taking away choice completely is entirely unacceptable. Uniforms have a purpose and anyone at all knowledgeable about their history knows it's not maintaining individuality. As an individualist I can not support collective minded gibberish, ever.

  3. #123
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 02:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    They reduce distractions, prevent distinctions (discrimination?) based on economic class and slightly improve school attendance.

    Benefits of School Uniforms

    Uniforms a growing debate in public schools

    Freakonomics Study Shows School Uniforms Improve Attendance, But Not Grades
    Wow, I don't care about any of that. Thanks though.

  4. #124
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    45,331

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Wow, I don't care about any of that. Thanks though.
    If you don't care about preventing discrimination based on economics, improving school attendance, and reducing distractions, then, of course, you're not going to be in favor of uniforms.


    "Hes now president for life. President for life. And hes great. Trump added, I think its great. Maybe well give that a shot someday. -Trump speaking of Xi Jinping

  5. #125
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    42,768

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    What distractions in class? I don't remember any distractions in class growing up caused from clothes. People keep saying this kind of stuff, but I honestly don't get it. I'm constantly looking for ways to have as little rules as possible on individuals and taking away choice completely is entirely unacceptable. Uniforms have a purpose and anyone at all knowledgeable about their history knows it's not maintaining individuality. As an individualist I can not support collective minded gibberish, ever.
    Whale tails, camel toes, and nipples just to offer female examples.

  6. #126
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 02:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    If you don't care about preventing discrimination based on economics, improving school attendance, and reducing distractions, then, of course, you're not going to be in favor of uniforms.
    When people are free to express themselves people will judge them for being different. It goes with the territory of being free. I'm not overly moved by something I already knew that comes about from the collectivist mindset. Everyone should already be aware that people will judge each other less when everyone is the same. Why would that move me at all?

  7. #127
    Professor
    afr0byte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    A blue state
    Last Seen
    09-12-13 @ 09:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,364

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    Whale tails, camel toes, and nipples just to offer female examples.
    Those are bad?

  8. #128
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    42,768

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Well, I guess I should admit here that I also don't particularly care if school kids are "free." In fact, I'm pretty sure I don't want them to be. This is not to say that I wish them to automatons in their thinking, only in what they wear to school.

  9. #129
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:18 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    69,659

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Dress codes only work if the parents support them. If it's the teacher's fault when the school has to call the parents to bring appropriate clothing, and/or if the parent can not be reached or refuses to do anything about their child's dress, then it won't work, and there's no point to even having a dress code.
    I have never met a parent that didn't respect and work with dress codes... some poorer people have issues here and there supplying their kids with uniforms but they don't do it on purpose. If a kid fights it they will lose. The parents are notified and either bring the correct uniform or they have to take their kid home for the day. I haven't met a parent yet that likes to be called in from work to deal with their disrespectful child. The issues gets sorted...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rucker61 View Post
    Interesting but useless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    That also describes Bodhi...

  10. #130
    Professor
    afr0byte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    A blue state
    Last Seen
    09-12-13 @ 09:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,364

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    When people are free to express themselves people will judge them for being different. It goes with the territory of being free. I'm not overly moved by something I already knew that comes about from the collectivist mindset. Everyone should already be aware that people will judge each other less when everyone is the same. Why would that move me at all?
    Do you really not see the reasoning, or do just not care? I'm not for uniforms but it seems pretty clear that the idea is that students would be able to learn more easily if they don't feel as judged. Granted, I think one could also argue that they'll have to get used to being judged at some point.
    Last edited by afr0byte; 08-11-13 at 08:52 PM.

Page 13 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •