View Poll Results: What is your stance on School Uniforms?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes and the school should offer them at no extra cost.

    30 22.73%
  • Yes and the parents should pay for them.

    46 34.85%
  • They should be optional for students who want them

    2 1.52%
  • There should be school uniforms for specific activities only

    4 3.03%
  • We should leave it to the parents to decide if the school should have uniforms

    12 9.09%
  • We should leave it at municipal/state level

    10 7.58%
  • We shouldn't have school uniforms at all

    28 21.21%
  • I like the current way things are.

    8 6.06%
  • I hate uniforms

    11 8.33%
  • I'm a potato.

    16 12.12%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 12 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 461

Thread: Do you support school uniforms?

  1. #111
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Any choice of uniform brings dignity to the educational experience and encourages discipline.

  2. #112
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,981

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I would think dress codes would be even harder to enforce. You'd have parents that don't agree with them, kids who would push the envelope, and so on. Plus, consistent enforcement between all teachers and/or administrators would be next to impossible. Not all people in such position have the same ability to enforce, let alone even the same interpretations themselves what the dress code means.
    On the contrary, strict dress codes are easier to enforce. It takes much of the "well, I THINK it's okay" out of the equation.

    It's easier to enforce. I've enforced a loose dress code and a strict one and the strict one is easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    But seriously, I'm against them. This is the USA where we claim to value individuality
    We may "claim" it, but we don't practice it. Employers have dress codes for employees, people never question political leaders who have the correct letter behind their name, we socialize in groups and often change our personality to fit in.

    Americans very much do not value individuality. Whether that's a good thing or bad thing is not for me to decide, but Americans are scared to be individuals. Always remember this...you're unique, just like everybody else.

  3. #113
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    On the contrary, strict dress codes are easier to enforce. It takes much of the "well, I THINK it's okay" out of the equation.

    It's easier to enforce. I've enforced a loose dress code and a strict one and the strict one is easier.
    We may "claim" it, but we don't practice it. Employers have dress codes for employees, people never question political leaders who have the correct letter behind their name, we socialize in groups and often change our personality to fit in.

    Americans very much do not value individuality. Whether that's a good thing or bad thing is not for me to decide, but Americans are scared to be individuals. Always remember this...you're unique, just like everybody else.
    A well-defined code would be best, but that still doesn't account for people's varying ability for enforcement, which does exist.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #114
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,981

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    A well-defined code would be best, but that still doesn't account for people's varying ability for enforcement, which does exist.
    Their ability to enforce does not vary, only their desire to do so. Their ability to enforce actually improves, since much of the subjectivity is removed.

    Some teachers won't pay attention...not because of any malicious reason, just because they have not trained themselves to do so. On the other hand, given all I know about the situation, I've trained myself to look for those who mistakenly dress in violation of the rules. I don't catch everyone, but I catch most of them. And all it takes is one person catching them.

  5. #115
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    Their ability to enforce does not vary, only their desire to do so. Their ability to enforce actually improves, since much of the subjectivity is removed.

    Some teachers won't pay attention...not because of any malicious reason, just because they have not trained themselves to do so. On the other hand, given all I know about the situation, I've trained myself to look for those who mistakenly dress in violation of the rules. I don't catch everyone, but I catch most of them. And all it takes is one person catching them.
    You really do not understand people, do you? All people have varying personalities. Some are gung-ho, some are meek, most are somewhere in between. For example, not everybody can be an effective police officer just by being trained to be one and/or having the desire. Some people command respect, some do not. If you really cannot grasp the idea that not everybody is like you then I question your effectiveness as an educator.

    Yeah yeah yeah, you'll protest your awesomeness, but the evidence here at DP suggests otherwise. Arrogance =/= awesomeness.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #116
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,981

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    You really do not understand people, do you? All people have varying personalities. Some are gung-ho, some are meek, most are somewhere in between. For example, not everybody can be an effective police officer just by being trained to be one and/or having the desire. Some people command respect, some do not. If you really cannot grasp the idea that not everybody is like you then I question your effectiveness as an educator.

    Yeah yeah yeah, you'll protest your awesomeness, but the evidence here at DP suggests otherwise. Arrogance =/= awesomeness.
    Your rant against me makes absolutely no sense in the context of what I said. The benefit of a strict dress code is that personalities have nothing to do with determining if a student is meeting the dress code or not. It's a simple black and white situation. "Are they wearing a belt? No? They are in violation." "Is their shirt one solid color? Yes? Then they are fine".

    Your attack on me was not only baseless, it was also completely irrelevant to the discussion. I have no idea why you chose to attack me, but at least wait until you have something worth attacking.

    My guess is there is only one of us who does not understand how things work, and it's not me, the person who has worked in a school district with a loose code who switched to a strict one.

  7. #117
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    No, uniforms are designed to stifle individuality and to conform to the group. I can not support anything that takes away someones ability to express themselves or restrains it to such a strict level as uniforms are known for.

  8. #118
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,591

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    No, uniforms are designed to stifle individuality and to conform to the group. I can not support anything that takes away someones ability to express themselves or restrains it to such a strict level as uniforms are known for.
    So are all forms of discipline - should we toss those too?
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  9. #119
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    So are all forms of discipline - should we toss those too?
    You're for school uniforms? Really? I don't see how school uniforms are about discipline, sorry.

  10. #120
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,909

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    No, uniforms are designed to stifle individuality and to conform to the group. I can not support anything that takes away someones ability to express themselves or restrains it to such a strict level as uniforms are known for.
    As I said earlier in the thread, as a student myself, I wore/didn't wear uniforms, and my kids both did/didn't wear uniforms. I'm a huge fan. Uniforms save money, cut down on unnecessary distractions in class, and help facilitate learning. Truthfully, I couldn't care less about nurturing students' "individuality" as expressed by fashion when they're at school. There's plenty of time outside of class and on weekends for kids to express themselves.

Page 12 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •