View Poll Results: What is your stance on School Uniforms?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes and the school should offer them at no extra cost.

    30 22.73%
  • Yes and the parents should pay for them.

    46 34.85%
  • They should be optional for students who want them

    2 1.52%
  • There should be school uniforms for specific activities only

    4 3.03%
  • We should leave it to the parents to decide if the school should have uniforms

    12 9.09%
  • We should leave it at municipal/state level

    10 7.58%
  • We shouldn't have school uniforms at all

    28 21.21%
  • I like the current way things are.

    8 6.06%
  • I hate uniforms

    11 8.33%
  • I'm a potato.

    16 12.12%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 47 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 461

Thread: Do you support school uniforms?

  1. #91
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    I don't have a strong opinion either way. I never had to wear them in school, either, though I remember the kids in a nearby Catholic school had to. It does seem that many people who did wear them hated them at the time but look back and see value in them now, and that is worthy of note, IMO.

    There are two arguments regarding school uniforms that carry no weight with me, though...

    1. They don't allow kids to express themselves. Phfft! So what? They can express themselves on their own time. It's only a few hours a day and it's a good prep for adulthood when their time and their employer's time will be separate and distinct.
    2. "I can't afford to buy my kids uniforms." Unless you send your kids to school naked now, yes, you can. Uniforms aren't expensive, and you have to buy your kids clothes anyway, just make some of them uniforms.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #92
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,878

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    It only takes one student to negate a dress code, much less a forced uniform policy. Check out some of the lawsuits from the early '70s. It seems that since education is compulsory, a dress code or uniform code is against the rights of the students.

  3. #93
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,986

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by d0gbreath View Post
    It only takes one student to negate a dress code, much less a forced uniform policy. Check out some of the lawsuits from the early '70s. It seems that since education is compulsory, a dress code or uniform code is against the rights of the students.
    There are some situations where elements of a dress code cannot enforced, but essentially, as long as the dress code is not purposefully censoring political speech, religious views and/or targeting a specific student or group and the school can show the dress code is shaped to improve the learning environment, generally the school will likely be okay.

  4. #94
    Clown Prince of Politics
    Psychoclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hiding from the voices in my head.
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 09:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,738

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Never had to wear uniforms, but I did got to a school with a fairly strict dress code up until 8th grade. I hated it then and would hate it now. The two main points people seem to bring out is less bullying and/or focus on superficial appearance and cheaper than buying regular school clothes for kids. I disagree on both.

    Kids are ALWAYS going to bully other kids. Its a fact and there are plenty of things they can bully about other than clothing. Plus, unless your uniforms cover the kids head to toe, there are still things to get bullied about. Several pro-uniform folks have already mentioned shoes. The way kids wear their hair, makeup and jewelry for girls, ect. Kids are still going to put tons of effort into the things they can control and will want to look good or cool for other kids. And the kids that don't do this for whatever reason will get made fun of by the so called cool crowd.

    Also, its not really going to camoflauge the poor kids. Kids see what kind of cars parents drive and the family with the rusted out station wagon probably isn't rolling in the dough. Plus is shows in other ways - for younger kids is shows in school supplies (who has the cool new trapper keeper or whatever kids use now vs who has the cruddy, worn out one from last year or worse yet, just those cheap papery folders), for older kids things like the cars they drive to school. Poor kids will still be poor and will easily be identified by other kids as poor.

    The other point on cost, I just don't buy it. My folks had buy my brothers and I dress pants and polo shirts or button up shirts for school, but they still had to buy us jeans, t-shirts, shorts, and whatever "cool" clothes we wanted because as soon as we got home, we ripped off our lousy, uncomfortable school clothes and put on normal clothes - which I'm sure almost every kid would be inclined to do, probably even more so with an actual uniform. So you have the expense of buying the uniforms plus whatever regular clothes the kids require. My brothers and I had just as many normal clothes as our friends that went public (and mostly dress code free) schools. We just also had a bunch of other crap that we had to wear for school as well. And I might add, as young, active kis playing at recess or occassionally doing messy crafts or art projects in school, we ruined a lot of dress clothes over the years, which had to be replaced.

    I don't buy that it increases productivity or learning or any of that. A t-shirt with a slogan or a logo scrawled on it isn't all that distracting and I was always able to better pay attention, get more done, ect when I was comfortable.

    As for the poll, not sure how to vote. I personally don't support uniforms or overly restrictive dress codes in school, and would've hated wearing a uniform to school even more than I hated my school's dress code, but I do think if the local school board or the school's administration want to do that, they should be free to do so.
    Slipping into madness is good for the sake of comparison - Unknown.

  5. #95
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:46 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,112

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    Have you looked at a private school before? They all are almost identical. As to the learning comment, while you are right, school is not simply about learning but also experiences. This is where you make the connections you use the rest of your life. Appearance is the building blocks to relationships. I don't want to make friends with somebody that looks like they are copied and pasted out of a 1800s mental asylum.
    I worked at a private school and my mother was the head mistress of a private school for 25 years... I didn't work at hers. I worked at a gang infested inner city school and currently in a country that requires uniforms for all students. I have worked in education across all spectrums and uniforms mean almost literally nothing about expressing oneself. Sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  6. #96
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,878

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    There are some situations where elements of a dress code cannot enforced, but essentially, as long as the dress code is not purposefully censoring political speech, religious views and/or targeting a specific student or group and the school can show the dress code is shaped to improve the learning environment, generally the school will likely be okay.
    emphasis is mine

    Therein lies the problem. The defendants were not able to supply such proof of an improved learning environment. That is why the courts ruled in favor of the students and their parents. This fact has not changed.

  7. #97
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,986

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by d0gbreath View Post
    emphasis is mine

    Therein lies the problem. The defendants were not able to supply such proof of an improved learning environment. That is why the courts ruled in favor of the students and their parents. This fact has not changed.
    That very well may be the case in the cases you discussed. However, many schools can show how dress code can improve learning environment. Which is why I posted the disagreement to your statement of "It seems that since education is compulsory, a dress code or uniform code is against the rights of the students.".

  8. #98
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,173

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by d0gbreath View Post
    emphasis is mine

    Therein lies the problem. The defendants were not able to supply such proof of an improved learning environment. That is why the courts ruled in favor of the students and their parents. This fact has not changed.
    but what has changed is greater numbers of schools have moved and are moving toward dress codes and uniforms
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  9. #99
    
    TheGirlNextDoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    09-24-14 @ 02:31 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,033
    Blog Entries
    21

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    My kids nothing went to parochial school for the first half of their elementary education. Uniforms were no more expensive than regular street clothes.

    I will say, I liked uniforms at that time, it took the hassle out of what they were wearing from day to day and prolonged the life of their other clothing.

    Having said that, they are now both in high school and I don't think uniforms are a great idea. You would still have those kids that weren't up to "code" with their uniforms, kids would hate it, etc... I don't buy into the not being able to express ones individuality argument, since kids normally want to fit in with their peer group.

    I WOULD however like to see the schools actually ENFORCE the dress code they put in place. That in itself would make a world of difference.. no saggy ass pants, no ball caps screwed on sideways, no see through clothing, shorts short enough they don't cover your by-god... schools have dress codes in place, but are extremely lack in enforcing them.

    Anyone that says even a dress code is too much for kids...I'd say "welcome to how the real world works". Every place you will ever work has some kind of dress code. Wear your own "individual style" on your own time...that's what everyone else does.
    Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice....shame on me.

  10. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Do you support school uniforms?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGirlNextDoor View Post
    My kids nothing went to parochial school for the first half of their elementary education. Uniforms were no more expensive than regular street clothes.

    I will say, I liked uniforms at that time, it took the hassle out of what they were wearing from day to day and prolonged the life of their other clothing.

    Having said that, they are now both in high school and I don't think uniforms are a great idea. You would still have those kids that weren't up to "code" with their uniforms, kids would hate it, etc... I don't buy into the not being able to express ones individuality argument, since kids normally want to fit in with their peer group.

    I WOULD however like to see the schools actually ENFORCE the dress code they put in place. That in itself would make a world of difference.. no saggy ass pants, no ball caps screwed on sideways, no see through clothing, shorts short enough they don't cover your by-god... schools have dress codes in place, but are extremely lack in enforcing them.

    Anyone that says even a dress code is too much for kids...I'd say "welcome to how the real world works". Every place you will ever work has some kind of dress code. Wear your own "individual style" on your own time...that's what everyone else does.
    I don't have a problem with a dress code either. It avoids a LOT of hassles, and uniforms might actually be cheaper than some of the designer labels your kids might want.

    I don't buy the individuality argument because it's just stupid. You can express your individuality in other more creative ways, AND you can always wear "your" clothes outside of school.

Page 10 of 47 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •