View Poll Results: Is communism possible in the USA?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Soviet type of communism

    12 10.62%
  • Yes, community type of communism

    14 12.39%
  • Yes, religious type of communism

    2 1.77%
  • Yes, other type of communism

    14 12.39%
  • No, not possible

    61 53.98%
  • Dunno

    3 2.65%
  • Other

    7 6.19%
Page 5 of 62 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 617

Thread: Is communism possible in the USA?

  1. #41
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Is communism possible in the USA?

    I don't think communism is possible in America, certainly not the Marxist variant. The American people is too individualistic to accept economic collectivism.

    But I think under extreme circumstances, some kind of fascism or right-wing authoritarianism would be possible, as collectivist ideas are acceptable as long as they don't directly touch the economy. It would have to be based on collectivist notions that are acceptable to some extent in America, like patriotism/nationalism and militarism. I think it was Dwight Eisenhower who said "if tyranny ever comes to our country, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy".

    It probably works in any country; just say you need to skip some civil rights in favor of "national security" or "because it's war", and people will accept it as long as they're afraid enough and have a reasonable concept of the enemy.

    Take the "Red Scare" and McCarthyism of the 50s or the post-9/11 scare, take it to the extreme and add reckless leaders to the mix who are willing to really abuse such events ... et voilą.
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  2. #42
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    09-30-13 @ 04:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    698

    Re: Is communism possible in the USA?

    Quote Originally Posted by marywollstonecraft View Post
    you need to do a bit more research.
    No, Communism has a proven track-record as one of the most inhuman, oppressive and murderous ideologies of human history.

  3. #43
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Is communism possible in the USA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Artevelde View Post
    No, Communism has a proven track-record as one of the most inhuman, oppressive and murderous ideologies of human history.
    There I agree with you.
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  4. #44
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    09-30-13 @ 04:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    698

    Re: Is communism possible in the USA?

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    I don't think communism is possible in America, certainly not the Marxist variant. The American people is too individualistic to accept economic collectivism.

    But I think under extreme circumstances, some kind of fascism or right-wing authoritarianism would be possible, as collectivist ideas are acceptable as long as they don't directly touch the economy. It would have to be based on collectivist notions that are acceptable to some extent in America, like patriotism/nationalism and militarism. I think it was Dwight Eisenhower who said "if tyranny ever comes to our country, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy".

    It probably works in any country; just say you need to skip some civil rights in favor of "national security" or "because it's war", and people will accept it as long as they're afraid enough and have a reasonable concept of the enemy.
    A real fascist or authoritarian form of government is as unlikely as a communist regime in the United States, but obviously not impossible. But again, then it will no longer be the United States since it will involve abolishing the current system of society and the Constitution.

  5. #45
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Is communism possible in the USA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Artevelde View Post
    A real fascist or authoritarian form of government is as unlikely as a communist regime in the United States, but obviously not impossible. But again, then it will no longer be the United States since it will involve abolishing the current system of society and the Constitution.
    Yes.

    And I think the circumstances would have to be really extreme for something like this to happen.
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  6. #46
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    09-30-13 @ 04:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    698

    Re: Is communism possible in the USA?

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    Yes.

    And I think the circumstances would have to be really extreme for something like this to happen.
    Then again, no system of government and no State lasts forever. Nor will the United States in its current form. What will replace it time will tell.

  7. #47
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:24 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,467

    Re: Is communism possible in the USA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Artevelde View Post
    All Communist regimes have sought to suppress religion. Then again, Communist regimes try to suppress any form of dissent and alternative authority since Communism is inherently totalitarian and anti-democratic.
    What a coincidence, religion has a long and violent history of suppressing any form of dissent and alternative authority, too.


    Anyway, Hitler was a protestant and the German Evangelical Church supported the Nazi's....


    "The Protestant Reich Church, officially The German Evangelical Church (German: Deutsche Evangelische Kirche) and colloquially Reichskirche, was a unified state church that espoused a single doctrine compatible with National Socialism...."
    Protestant Reich Church - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  8. #48
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    09-30-13 @ 04:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    698

    Re: Is communism possible in the USA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    What a coincidence, religion has a long and violent history of suppressing any form of dissent and alternative authority, too.


    Anyway, Hitler was a protestant and the German Evangelical Church supported the Nazi's....


    "The Protestant Reich Church, officially The German Evangelical Church (German: Deutsche Evangelische Kirche) and colloquially Reichskirche, was a unified state church that espoused a single doctrine compatible with National Socialism...."
    Protestant Reich Church - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Bravo, you succeeded in including errors in all of your sentences. Too bad you're so factually challenged. Makes it a bit difficult to engage in discussion.

  9. #49
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:24 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,467

    Re: Is communism possible in the USA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Artevelde View Post
    Bravo, you succeeded in including errors in all of your sentences. Too bad you're so factually challenged. Makes it a bit difficult to engage in discussion.
    I'll take that as your concession.

  10. #50
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    09-30-13 @ 04:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    698

    Re: Is communism possible in the USA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    I'll take that as your concession.
    Yes, I concede I don't know how to discuss things with people who don't have a clue about the facts.

Page 5 of 62 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •