View Poll Results: Do you tip on carryout

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    14 20.00%
  • No

    39 55.71%
  • Sometimes (explain)

    17 24.29%
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 138

Thread: Tipping on Takeout

  1. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    10-24-13 @ 02:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    913

    Re: Tipping on Takeout

    I won't tip for the sake of tipping in a restaurant so, no, I won't tip for take out.

    I'll tip for excellent service if I receive excellent service in a restaurant but that tip is based on the service I received and not an arbitrary percentage of my bill.

  2. #72
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Tipping on Takeout

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    Why?
    Why not?
    Why can't people enter into a contract where party A agrees to perform a service for party B and let party B determine the compensation for that service?
    Then nobody should complain if they don't think they get enough.

    And this touches on another aspect of the whole issue. If you ask any experienced server, "Would you rather get paid a flat wage, say even $14/hr, or continue to be paid crap but get tips, which would you rather do?", pretty much every server would choose the current system. Why? Because, while they whine about individual slights, they know they'd lose money overall if they went to a straight wage system.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #73
    Sage
    Arbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    07-12-16 @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Tipping on Takeout

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I'm very generous as a tipper when attending a restaurant to eat and even when I'm receiving delivery of food at the door. These are people who generally receive less in wages because being tipped is part of the culture of the service they provide.

    I do not tip for any food I pick up at a counter myself - I would no more tip the counter help at McDonalds or Swiss Chalet than I would if I was buying underwear at the local department store.

    If people are going to be expecting tips every time they interact with others as part of their jobs, then be assured that the counter help at the DMV or any other government service window won't be far behind.
    ^^^ This. 100% correct.
    "nah i think the way cons want to turn this into a political issue is funny though" - Philly Boss

  4. #74
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,914
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Tipping on Takeout

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Then nobody should complain if they don't think they get enough.
    I suspect that servers don't ****-up someone's dining experience and then complain about not getting tipped. I suspect they complain when they provide acceptable service and then are not compensated.
    If you go out to eat in the US where there is an expectation that diners will pay for services rendered, services are rendered, but payment is not received, isn't there grounds for being upset?
    Just because you allow someone to make a decision, doesn't mean that you have to like that decision.
    Otherwise, how could we complain about our govt representatives?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    And this touches on another aspect of the whole issue. If you ask any experienced server, "Would you rather get paid a flat wage, say even $14/hr, or continue to be paid crap but get tips, which would you rather do?", pretty much every server would choose the current system. Why? Because, while they whine about individual slights, they know they'd lose money overall if they went to a straight wage system.
    Imho, the system is nice because it allows people who want to give more to give more and people who want to give less to give less. It empowers the customer and provides yet another incentive, ( a strong one at that ), for servers to meet the expectations of their guests.

    Certainly servers shouldn't complain that they received just compensation for ****ty service. But I suspect that they complain about not receiving appropriate compensation for good service.
    I may be wrong.

  5. #75
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Tipping on Takeout

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    I suspect that servers don't ****-up someone's dining experience and then complain about not getting tipped. I suspect they complain when they provide acceptable service and then are not compensated.
    If you go out to eat in the US where there is an expectation that diners will pay for services rendered, services are rendered, but payment is not received, isn't there grounds for being upset?
    Just because you allow someone to make a decision, doesn't mean that you have to like that decision.
    Otherwise, how could we complain about our govt representatives?

    Imho, the system is nice because it allows people who want to give more to give more and people who want to give less to give less. It empowers the customer and provides yet another incentive, ( a strong one at that ), for servers to meet the expectations of their guests.

    Certainly servers shouldn't complain that they received just compensation for ****ty service. But I suspect that they complain about not receiving appropriate compensation for good service.
    It does provide incentive, and that is a huge part of the original concept. But, like I have said, for many it has evolved into an entitlement mentality simply because they're paid crap wages. That, plus, many who are poor servers aren't self-aware enough to realize their own shortcomings.

    Many servers will blow off being stiffed as the patron simply being a cheapskate, and often they'd be correct, but not always. Sometimes they were stiffed because they deserved to be stiffed. Every now and then we read stories about patrons who get called out for leaving a 1c tip as a clear sign of displeasure. That one's pretty obvious, how the hell does anyone misconstrue that?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #76
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,914
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Tipping on Takeout

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    ...an entitlement mentality...
    What does that mean?
    Isn't it just a regular old mentality to expect to be compensated for services rendered?
    I may be wrong.

  7. #77
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Tipping on Takeout

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    What does that mean?
    Isn't it just a regular old mentality to expect to be compensated for services rendered?
    In some posts you imply a fee for services rendered. In other posts you imply a sliding scale gratuity based on quality of service. Pick one. It cannot be both.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #78
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,914
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Tipping on Takeout

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    In some posts you imply a fee for services rendered. In other posts you imply a sliding scale gratuity based on quality of service. Pick one. It cannot be both.
    Why not?
    I may be wrong.

  9. #79
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,774

    Re: Tipping on Takeout

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    The person who packed it up for you?
    Someone deserves extra money for putting things in a bag? Seriously? Do you tip your bagger at the grocery store?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  10. #80
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Tipping on Takeout

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Someone deserves extra money for putting things in a bag? Seriously? Do you tip your bagger at the grocery store?
    Some people do. Not me, but some people.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •