View Poll Results: Do you tip on carryout

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    14 20.00%
  • No

    39 55.71%
  • Sometimes (explain)

    17 24.29%
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
Results 131 to 138 of 138

Thread: Tipping on Takeout

  1. #131
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Tipping on Takeout

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    In our area, one of our local Chinese restaurants is strictly a husband/wife team. Period. Their children play in a room in the back. They have a couple of tables for those who want to eat there, but it is predominantly carry-out. They have a giant glass jar on the counter if anyone wants to tip, and I always do, because both the food and the service are excellent. And the nice thing is that they actually remember their long-time customers when they call for carry-out, and they ask me how are you doing, and don't you want the Egg Rolls today? What's not to like?
    It's not a buffet. I hate Chinese joints that aren't buffets. Just give me a fork, point me to the General Tso chicken, and then...


  2. #132
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,417

    Re: Tipping on Takeout

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    That is true to a certain extent. Servers, by law, are supposed to claim ALL of their tips, however, the Government generally will not allocate if the server claims about 8% of sales. However, you cannot rationalize your failure to tip on the notion that another patron gave the server 20%. Your failure to tip is still requiring the server to pay taxes on what the government assumes that you tipped out of their other tips. That's just the bottom line fact.
    So, we should stand with workers who are abused by some individual patrons and stiffed, and treat it as "bottom line fact"... which was not my point in my last post, but we'll run with it... but should look the other way when they commit tax evasion on a larger scale than that which they were mistreated. Got it.

    While I have never been a server myself, I was in the restaurant business and was married to a server for many years (and our income depended a great deal on tips), and I've spent more than my fair share of time around servers both professionally and socially. When they get together socially, and this topic comes up, they will brag to high Heaven how much they skate by with in unreported/untaxed tipped income. So, the complaint that they have pay taxes on stiffed meals rings hollow.

    Yes, I have heard many make the same specific complaint... "I have to pay taxes on that."... almost like some pre-programmed response to illicit sympathy, and of course in those settings all the heads nod up and down in agreement, but strangely enough I never heard anybody complain that they got tipped too much on the next several meals, nor did I hear any remorse that they kept tipped income unreported whenever they could.

    No, I don't disagree that this in and of itself is not a valid justification for an individual to not tip, but like I said, when taken as a whole, the complaint is simply hollow.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #133
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Tipping on Takeout

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Read the thread.
    i read the thread. It's not about baggers at the supermarket
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #134
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,793

    Re: Tipping on Takeout

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    i read the thread. It's not about baggers at the supermarket
    No, but the discussion you walked into the middle of was.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  5. #135
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,266

    Re: Tipping on Takeout

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    In our area, one of our local Chinese restaurants is strictly a husband/wife team. Period. Their children play in a room in the back. They have a couple of tables for those who want to eat there, but it is predominantly carry-out. They have a giant glass jar on the counter if anyone wants to tip, and I always do, because both the food and the service are excellent. And the nice thing is that they actually remember their long-time customers when they call for carry-out, and they ask me how are you doing, and don't you want the Egg Rolls today? What's not to like?
    Good service and good food deserve a reward in my mind. Food is a big deal to me. I take care in growing it and buying it. I take care in its preparation. I appreciate those who do the same for me and others. Like you, I think they deserve an extra something.

  6. #136
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Tipping on Takeout

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    I have a problem with someone expecting me to pay a gratuity for poor service because the government decided to tax it as income. If you have a problem with leaving the matter of tipping up to each customer, work for a business that pays minimum wage. That way you are guaranteed an amount for each hour worked and can be fairly taxed on it like everyone else.

    I'm fairly sick and tired of a-hole servers acting like they are doing me a great favor by bringing my food from the kitchen to my table. If restaurants didn't do that they would lose customers to competitors who do, or to take out and delivery places. If you want a tip, show me a good reason to give you more of my hard-earned wages beyond the already expensive part of paying for the food.

    P.S. I've worked as a waiter in my youth, and I made sure my customers were pleased by my service. I rarely got stiffed on a tip.
    my comment had nothing...ZERO to do with poor service expecting a tip.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  7. #137
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Tipping on Takeout

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    But we're not talking about servers, we're talking about other people who are making a full wage and tips are not built into their pay structure. Why should we tip them?
    Because in most full service restaurants, togo orders are handled by servers. It may look like the hostess is handling it but 99 times out of 100 it is a server.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  8. #138
    Renaissance Man
    Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mid-West USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    8,579
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Tipping on Takeout

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Time is money

    Baggers are paid at least minimum wage, and the IRS does not assume they earned 8% of the food they bag in tips.
    Point of information...When I was a kid grocery baggers were NOT paid minimum wage. Their entire pay for bagging groceries came from tips. It was a job for school kids, like a paper route, or a lemonade stand. Problem was, people started tipping like crap so kids stopped applying for the jobs. Now baggers are typically stock clerks doing double duty, so yeah they get paid a wage.

    Moving on ...
    If I stop responding it doesn't mean I've conceded the point or agree with you. It only means I've made my point and I don't mind you having the last word. Please wait a few minutes before "quoting" me. I often correct errors for a minute or two after I post before the final product is ready.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •