View Poll Results: I have completed the following formal educations

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • None or very little

    3 3.53%
  • Attended school, but did not graduate

    1 1.18%
  • GED or graduated from high school

    19 22.35%
  • Some college

    18 21.18%
  • 2 year college degree

    17 20.00%
  • 4 year college degree

    32 37.65%
  • formal education based technical degree/certification

    16 18.82%
  • Military or other past-high school degree

    12 14.12%
  • Lawyer, doctor, other high education degree

    5 5.88%
  • Masters/PhD

    27 31.76%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 134

Thread: What is your level of formal education?

  1. #51
    Renaissance Man
    Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mid-West USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    8,580
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What is your level of formal education?

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    You can't Google?
    I don't know who your response is for, but since I'm the only one who asked for a link....

    I added a P.S. to my prior post before seeing this response. I have googled and binged...no information shows up as authorizing a recipient of an MFA to use the title "doctor." In fact, what does come up is information on Wikipedia that several colleges have either instituted or are trying to institute a PhD program for it, against some resistence from MFA recipients. Google that yourself.
    If I stop responding it doesn't mean I've conceded the point or agree with you. It only means I've made my point and I don't mind you having the last word. Please wait a few minutes before "quoting" me. I often correct errors for a minute or two after I post before the final product is ready.

  2. #52
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: What is your level of formal education?

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    Yes, they do.
    We do?

  3. #53
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,723

    Re: What is your level of formal education?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    JD's are not considered terminal degrees. LLM's are above them
    that is not really true. Most Ivy league law professors, judges and top ranked attorneys only have JDs. there is actually an academic degree that is the real doctorate-I have only met one

    most LLMs are for a specialization with TAX being the most popular. Another type of LLM is given to a foreign lawyer who wants some training in American law. We had several NATO JAG officers from Germany in my law school getting LLMs as well as a chief of police from Tokyo (who had his country's law degree)



  4. #54
    Renaissance Man
    Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mid-West USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    8,580
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What is your level of formal education?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    JD's are not considered terminal degrees. LLM's are above them
    Doctorates don't require they be "terminal degrees." As for LL.M's? A J.D. seldom indicates a specific area of law expertise unless you take additional course work to have it added to your degree...like a J.D. in criminal law. LL.M's are used for two purposes in the USA. The first is a short course program for students with foreign law degrees to give them comparable status in the USA. The second is to add a specific focus, like tax or corporate law to their J.D.

    There are a few American Universities that offer a research degree called a S.J.D. which is equivilant to a Ph.D in law.

    Still, while most attorneys/lawyers don't call themselves "Doctors," they are entitled to if they have a Juris Doctor (i.e. Doctor of Jurisprudence) degree. It just sounds silly, since we are not "medical professionals" like dentists and surgeons.
    Last edited by Captain Adverse; 08-01-13 at 12:58 AM.
    If I stop responding it doesn't mean I've conceded the point or agree with you. It only means I've made my point and I don't mind you having the last word. Please wait a few minutes before "quoting" me. I often correct errors for a minute or two after I post before the final product is ready.

  5. #55
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: What is your level of formal education?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    that is not really true. Most Ivy league law professors, judges and top ranked attorneys only have JDs. there is actually an academic degree that is the real doctorate-I have only met one

    most LLMs are for a specialization with TAX being the most popular. Another type of LLM is given to a foreign lawyer who wants some training in American law. We had several NATO JAG officers from Germany in my law school getting LLMs as well as a chief of police from Tokyo (who had his country's law degree)
    That most people do not get them does not change that LLM's and JSD's are superior degrees to a standard JD

  6. #56
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: What is your level of formal education?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    Doctorates don't require they be "terminal degrees." As for LL.M's? A J.D. seldom indicates a specific area of law expertise unless you take additional course work to have it added to your degree...like a J.D. in criminal law. LL.M's are used for two purposes in the USA. The first is a short course program for students with foreign law degrees to give them comparable status in the USA. The second is to add a specific focus, like tax or corporate law to their J.D.

    There are a few American Universities that offer a research degree called a S.J.D. which is equivilant to a Ph.D in law.

    Still, while most attorneys/lawyers don't call themselves "Doctors," they are entitled to if they have a Juris Doctor degree.
    Well let me put it to you a different way, colleges do not consider JD's terminal degrees in the field and a PHD equivalent when you pursue a professoring and pontificating job not involving law--they treat it as the same as a Masters

  7. #57
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,723

    Re: What is your level of formal education?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    That most people do not get them does not change that LLM's and JSD's are superior degrees to a standard JD
    as I noted, depends. for the most part they are superfluous because unlike a PhD, the top law professor in the USA does not have anything above a JD and the most prestigious law jobs in the USA (Supreme court justices) don't have anything above that either for the most part

    I have personally known three sterling professors of Constitutional law at Yale including Akhil Reed Amar (the current holder). That is the most prestigious legal professorship in the USA.

    and John Roberts holds the most important law position in the USA-

    you don't end up being the top professor in say history at Yale without a doctorate

    so comparing PhDs with post JD degrees is really sort of stupid



  8. #58
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,917

    Re: What is your level of formal education?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    I don't know who your response is for, but since I'm the only one who asked for a link....

    I added a P.S. to my prior post before seeing this response. I have googled and binged...no information shows up as authorizing a recipient of an MFA to use the title "doctor." In fact, what does come up is information on Wikipedia that several colleges have either instituted or are trying to institute a PhD program for it, against some resistence from MFA recipients. Google that yourself.
    I don't need to; I'm already familiar with the issue and have a very strong opinion on it too.

  9. #59
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,723

    Re: What is your level of formal education?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    Doctorates don't require they be "terminal degrees." As for LL.M's? A J.D. seldom indicates a specific area of law expertise unless you take additional course work to have it added to your degree...like a J.D. in criminal law. LL.M's are used for two purposes in the USA. The first is a short course program for students with foreign law degrees to give them comparable status in the USA. The second is to add a specific focus, like tax or corporate law to their J.D.

    There are a few American Universities that offer a research degree called a S.J.D. which is equivilant to a Ph.D in law.

    Still, while most attorneys/lawyers don't call themselves "Doctors," they are entitled to if they have a Juris Doctor (i.e. Doctor of Jurisprudence) degree. It just sounds silly, since we are not "medical professionals" like dentists and surgeons.
    I got my masters (labor relations with a concentration in employment law) after my law degree. I was entitled to wear a doctoral robe to my masters graduation. I didn't go to it but I was told that I and the other JD in my class could have doctoral robes while everyone else was wearing a masters robe



  10. #60
    Renaissance Man
    Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mid-West USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    8,580
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What is your level of formal education?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Well let me put it to you a different way, colleges do not consider JD's terminal degrees in the field and a PHD equivalent when you pursue a professoring and pontificating job not involving law--they treat it as the same as a Masters

    Maybe where you are, but the lawyers who taught at my school had J.D.'s combined with practical experience. I don't know what YOUR law school required in order for a professor to teach. But most I've visited also only required a J.D.
    If I stop responding it doesn't mean I've conceded the point or agree with you. It only means I've made my point and I don't mind you having the last word. Please wait a few minutes before "quoting" me. I often correct errors for a minute or two after I post before the final product is ready.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •