View Poll Results: Which is more crucial

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Freedom of Religion

    26 56.52%
  • Mandate to Evolve

    10 21.74%
  • Both are equally crucial

    10 21.74%
Page 93 of 94 FirstFirst ... 438391929394 LastLast
Results 921 to 930 of 938

Thread: Freedom of Religion vs the Mandate to Evolve [W 65]

  1. #921
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Freedom of Religion vs the Mandate to Evolve [W 65]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Sorry. I disagree. If something is taught in one class it carries the exact same weight if it is taught in another class. the math in science is the same as the math in math.
    That's because math is always math. Faith is not science, ever. The rules are different. They shouldn't be treated as if they are the same. You may weigh one different than the other, but the point is, one isn't the other.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #922
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Freedom of Religion vs the Mandate to Evolve [W 65]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    That's because math is always math. Faith is not science, ever. The rules are different. They shouldn't be treated as if they are the same. You may weigh one different than the other, but the point is, one isn't the other.
    Everything in science class that begins with "Theory of..." is about faith

  3. #923
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Freedom of Religion vs the Mandate to Evolve [W 65]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Everything in science class that begins with "Theory of..." is about faith
    No. That is false.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #924
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,505

    Re: Freedom of Religion vs the Mandate to Evolve [W 65]

    Yeah, it doesn't make sense. And I don't think that evolution proves there is no God or tell us which religious group has everything right. To me, it just seems like they want an opportunity to teach children their religious beliefs.

    Quote Originally Posted by marywollstonecraft View Post
    so if you claim this, why on earth would you even consider that creationists have the right to teach mythology as an alternative to evolution?
    Last edited by SheWolf; 08-14-13 at 03:59 PM.

  5. #925
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,505

    Re: Freedom of Religion vs the Mandate to Evolve [W 65]

    Well, idk what she is really saying or trying to say, but I can't see how the average person could study evolution and then act like they can choose or its acceptable for others to choose to believe in global warming or not.

    Climate change, ice ages, periods of prolonged rising temperatures, evaporating water, and levels of oxygen in the environment all play a role in shaping evolution, survival of the fittest, adaptability, extinction, etc.




    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I spent a while trying to find it:


    Originally Posted by ChrisL
    But I'm not talking about students expressing their opinions. I'm talking about teachers perhaps teaching according to their own biases and ideals.


    I agree with that. Merely argue they can express opinion as long as it is expressed that way, and the teaching is about reason and evidence.

    There is also an area that wouldn't be opinion, but some here would call it that. The area of global warming would fall under that category.

  6. #926
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Freedom of Religion vs the Mandate to Evolve [W 65]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No one said they can't hear it. I have said the science teacher shouldn't treat it like it's a scientific theory. It isn't. In religion class, it's fine.

    And frankly, religious theories don't change much as they are seldom questioned by the faithful. They don't adhere to the same rules as scientific theory.
    Well, Catholics do allow divorce now don't they?

  7. #927
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Freedom of Religion vs the Mandate to Evolve [W 65]

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    Well, idk what she is really saying or trying to say, but I can't see how the average person could study evolution and then act like they can choose or its acceptable for others to choose to believe in global warming or not.

    Climate change, ice ages, periods of prolonged rising temperatures, evaporating water, and levels of oxygen in the environment all play a role in shaping evolution, survival of the fittest, adaptability, extinction, etc.
    What are you talking about? Nobody's denying climate change.

  8. #928
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Freedom of Religion vs the Mandate to Evolve [W 65]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Sure they are. But if you throw in a no scientific belief as if it were a scientific theory, that would be confusing and largely inappropriate.
    Nobody suggested it should be presented as a "scientific" theory.

  9. #929
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,505

    Re: Freedom of Religion vs the Mandate to Evolve [W 65]

    I really don't understand why Christians have a problem with evolution. If they take everything in the Bible literally, I kind of think they are fundamentists. If their faith makes them uncomfortable with accepted science and causes them to be naive and shun exposure to new ideas, diverse religious thought, opposing povs, and scientific studies, then i dont feel we ought to enable such fundamental attitudes.

    I don't think anybody is trying to push atheism on people via science. I like science and I especially like evolution and ancient human studies, and I am not atheist.





    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I'm simply saying that they should cover all the bases. There are apparently a lot of people who believe in the creationist theory. It doesn't hurt anyone to give other theories an honorary mention when they are popular beliefs. Do you suggest we leave Greek mythology out of teaching because it isn't factual? As someone else stated, religion has huge societal implications and certain aspects of certainly worth mentioning and talking about from a strictly neutral and educational standpoint, as I've stated REPEATEDLY throughout this thread.

  10. #930
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Freedom of Religion vs the Mandate to Evolve [W 65]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Well, Catholics do allow divorce now don't they?
    Grudgingly.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 93 of 94 FirstFirst ... 438391929394 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •