View Poll Results: Which is more crucial

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Freedom of Religion

    26 56.52%
  • Mandate to Evolve

    10 21.74%
  • Both are equally crucial

    10 21.74%
Page 92 of 94 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394 LastLast
Results 911 to 920 of 938

Thread: Freedom of Religion vs the Mandate to Evolve [W 65]

  1. #911
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Freedom of Religion vs the Mandate to Evolve [W 65]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    In religion class I have no problem with either. I science class I would.
    I learned in history class. That's where I learned Greek mythology too. And I believe you did state earlier in the thread that you didn't have a problem with the kids being taken to a mosque for a "school" field trip. And another thing to remember is that scientific theories based upon known evidence are subject to change whenever new evidence surfaces, just like any other theories.

  2. #912
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Freedom of Religion vs the Mandate to Evolve [W 65]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    In religion class I have no problem with either. I science class I would.
    Do you compartmentalize your knowledge by subject? There is no difference in teaching something in one class or the other. It is taught and learned or not learned just the same.

  3. #913
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Freedom of Religion vs the Mandate to Evolve [W 65]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I learned in history class. That's where I learned Greek mythology too. And I believe you did state earlier in the thread that you didn't have a problem with the kids being taken to a mosque for a "school" field trip. And another thing to remember is that scientific theories based upon known evidence are subject to change whenever new evidence surfaces, just like any other theories.
    Only because it happen during a time in history. However, GW is a scientific theory, as is evolution. Creationism isn't. It's faith based. In context is how things should be taught. Going to a Mosque is a fine field trip, but in the context of exploring other cultures or religions. This is fine with Christianity as well, though as most are Christians, it'd hardly be educational to take them to their own church.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #914
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Freedom of Religion vs the Mandate to Evolve [W 65]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Do you compartmentalize your knowledge by subject? There is no difference in teaching something in one class or the other. It is taught and learned or not learned just the same.
    Sure their is. I don't pretend that reading War of the Worlds is history. There has to be a context.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #915
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Freedom of Religion vs the Mandate to Evolve [W 65]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Only because it happen during a time in history. However, GW is a scientific theory, as is evolution. Creationism isn't. It's faith based. In context is how things should be taught. Going to a Mosque is a fine field trip, but in the context of exploring other cultures or religions. This is fine with Christianity as well, though as most are Christians, it'd hardly be educational to take them to their own church.
    See, these things can be explained to the kids. You people behave as if they so much as hear anything about other theories that they are too stupid to comprehend the difference between supported by evidence scientific type of theory versus other theories based on other things. All theories are subject to change.

  6. #916
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Freedom of Religion vs the Mandate to Evolve [W 65]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Sure their is. I don't pretend that reading War of the Worlds is history. There has to be a context.
    Don't you think the children are taught about the definition of scientific theory before they start learning about actual scientific theories?

  7. #917
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Freedom of Religion vs the Mandate to Evolve [W 65]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    See, these things can be explained to the kids. You people behave as if they so much as hear anything about other theories that they are too stupid to comprehend the difference between supported by evidence scientific type of theory versus other theories based on other things. All theories are subject to change.
    No one said they can't hear it. I have said the science teacher shouldn't treat it like it's a scientific theory. It isn't. In religion class, it's fine.

    And frankly, religious theories don't change much as they are seldom questioned by the faithful. They don't adhere to the same rules as scientific theory.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #918
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Freedom of Religion vs the Mandate to Evolve [W 65]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Don't you think the children are taught about the definition of scientific theory before they start learning about actual scientific theories?
    Sure they are. But if you throw in a no scientific belief as if it were a scientific theory, that would be confusing and largely inappropriate.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #919
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Freedom of Religion vs the Mandate to Evolve [W 65]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Sure their is. I don't pretend that reading War of the Worlds is history. There has to be a context.
    Sorry. I disagree. If something is taught in one class it carries the exact same weight if it is taught in another class. the math in science is the same as the math in math.

  10. #920
    Professor
    afr0byte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    A blue state
    Last Seen
    09-12-13 @ 10:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,364

    Re: Freedom of Religion vs the Mandate to Evolve [W 65]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    See, these things can be explained to the kids. You people behave as if they so much as hear anything about other theories that they are too stupid to comprehend the difference between supported by evidence scientific type of theory versus other theories based on other things. All theories are subject to change.
    But teaching creationism in a science class is a waste of time, since it isn't science. Presumably kids are in science class to learn about science.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •