View Poll Results: Which is more crucial

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Freedom of Religion

    26 56.52%
  • Mandate to Evolve

    10 21.74%
  • Both are equally crucial

    10 21.74%
Page 90 of 94 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192 ... LastLast
Results 891 to 900 of 938

Thread: Freedom of Religion vs the Mandate to Evolve [W 65]

  1. #891
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Freedom of Religion vs the Mandate to Evolve [W 65]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I don't believe you because I never said that either. I said they should mention other theories in school too. That is all. Going to a mosque and praying actually IS promoting a religion. I think you must be getting confused if it isn't senility.
    That seems to imply to me that it is in conjunction with science. But as I recall, I gave the example of GW. And this is where we got into the theory argument. As GW is about science, that would be the context of the argument, right?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #892
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Freedom of Religion vs the Mandate to Evolve [W 65]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    That seems to imply to me that it is in conjunction with science. But as I recall, I gave the example of GW. And this is where we got into the theory argument. As GW is about science, that would be the context of the argument, right?
    I don't know. I thought you brought up evolution.

  3. #893
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Freedom of Religion vs the Mandate to Evolve [W 65]

    Did we ever get a definition of what " Mandate to Evolve" means?
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  4. #894
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Freedom of Religion vs the Mandate to Evolve [W 65]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I don't know. I thought you brought up evolution.
    I spent a while trying to find it:


    Originally Posted by ChrisL
    But I'm not talking about students expressing their opinions. I'm talking about teachers perhaps teaching according to their own biases and ideals.


    I agree with that. Merely argue they can express opinion as long as it is expressed that way, and the teaching is about reason and evidence.

    There is also an area that wouldn't be opinion, but some here would call it that. The area of global warming would fall under that category.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #895
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Freedom of Religion vs the Mandate to Evolve [W 65]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I spent a while trying to find it:


    Originally Posted by ChrisL
    But I'm not talking about students expressing their opinions. I'm talking about teachers perhaps teaching according to their own biases and ideals.


    I agree with that. Merely argue they can express opinion as long as it is expressed that way, and the teaching is about reason and evidence.

    There is also an area that wouldn't be opinion, but some here would call it that. The area of global warming would fall under that category.
    I wasn't arguing about who brought up GW. I was wondering who brought up the theory of evolution?

  6. #896
    Professor
    marywollstonecraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-13 @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,317

    Re: Freedom of Religion vs the Mandate to Evolve [W 65]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Wrong. The above is absolutely correct. A scientific theory is just that a theory, not a fact silly!
    As used in science, a theory is an explanation or model based on observation, experimentation, and reasoning, especially one that has been tested and confirmed as a general principle helping to explain and predict natural phenomena and is based on a careful examination of the facts. Theories are explanations which support facts, and and interpret the facts. Scientific theories are subject to peer review.

    creationists pretend that their mumbo jumbo theory, which runs contrary to evidence, is at least an equivalent theory.

    some even claim that the devil put dinosaur bones around the place in order to fool us ... or maybe it was God ... to test our faith
    Every political good carried to the extreme must be productive of evil.

  7. #897
    Professor
    marywollstonecraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-13 @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,317

    Re: Freedom of Religion vs the Mandate to Evolve [W 65]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Not at all. Why so cranky?
    well it does make sense. creationism is a myth. anyone who presents it to children as an alternative to a scientific theory should be barred from teaching science.

    people who want abrahamic myth represented as "science" need to acknowledge that there are many other creation myths with equal scientific validity.
    Every political good carried to the extreme must be productive of evil.

  8. #898
    Professor
    marywollstonecraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-13 @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,317

    Re: Freedom of Religion vs the Mandate to Evolve [W 65]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Apparently I learned more than you, as I understand what a scientific theory is, and obviously you do not.

    Here! For your education!

    Scientific Hypothesis, Theory, Law Definitions
    so if you claim this, why on earth would you even consider that creationists have the right to teach mythology as an alternative to evolution?
    Every political good carried to the extreme must be productive of evil.

  9. #899
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Freedom of Religion vs the Mandate to Evolve [W 65]

    Mandate to evolve ?
    Mandate ?
    We need both freedom of religion AND freedom FROM religion..
    But why...this mandate business ??
    I sense "extremism" ...not good.

  10. #900
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Freedom of Religion vs the Mandate to Evolve [W 65]

    Quote Originally Posted by marywollstonecraft View Post
    so if you claim this, why on earth would you even consider that creationists have the right to teach mythology as an alternative to evolution?
    I'm simply saying that they should cover all the bases. There are apparently a lot of people who believe in the creationist theory. It doesn't hurt anyone to give other theories an honorary mention when they are popular beliefs. Do you suggest we leave Greek mythology out of teaching because it isn't factual? As someone else stated, religion has huge societal implications and certain aspects of certainly worth mentioning and talking about from a strictly neutral and educational standpoint, as I've stated REPEATEDLY throughout this thread.

Page 90 of 94 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •