View Poll Results: Which is more crucial

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Freedom of Religion

    26 56.52%
  • Mandate to Evolve

    10 21.74%
  • Both are equally crucial

    10 21.74%
Page 28 of 94 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 938

Thread: Freedom of Religion vs the Mandate to Evolve [W 65]

  1. #271
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Freedom of Religion vs the Mandate to Evolve [W 65]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    So what is this then? 1 guy maybe doing something (if you take his word at face value)...not really some grand conspiracy as you'd lead us to believe.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #272
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    01-03-14 @ 10:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    642

    Re: Freedom of Religion vs the Mandate to Evolve [W 65]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    I do not consider science itself a threat to religion. I do, however, consider atheists presenting science a threat to religion. Does that make sense?
    Do you honestly consider Richard Dawkins, who introduced the term meme, to be a threat to religion?

  3. #273
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    07-08-14 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,325

    Re: Freedom of Religion vs the Mandate to Evolve [W 65]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    So what is this then?
    It's an atheist's point of view that supports my argument.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    1 guy maybe doing something (if you take his word at face value)...not really some grand conspiracy as you'd lead us to believe.
    Oh, you want to see more evidence:

    WORLD | Richard Dawkins encourages atheists to mock and ridicule Christians | La Shawn Barber | March 28, 2012

    Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason & Science

    The 25 Most Influential Living Atheists | Super Scholar

    Are you trying to tell me there aren't little Richard Dawkins and Sam Harris disciples running around society today? How clueless (or deceptive) are you willing to be?

  4. #274
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    07-08-14 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,325

    Re: Freedom of Religion vs the Mandate to Evolve [W 65]

    Quote Originally Posted by lolabird View Post
    Do you honestly consider Richard Dawkins, who introduced the term meme, to be a threat to religion?
    It's strength in numbers, lola. Why are you trying to isolate incidences of atheism? The above article + Richard Dawkins + the other top 24 atheists + you and Ikara running interference + God knows what else I have to dig up = A growing problem.
    Last edited by Dooble; 08-01-13 at 05:15 PM.

  5. #275
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    09-30-13 @ 04:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    698

    Re: Freedom of Religion vs the Mandate to Evolve [W 65]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Evolution is a science. God is not part of the study of science. Why is this hard?
    Evolution is both a scientific theory and the process that this theory describes. Whether or not God is involved in this proces is something science, and therefore also state school, are not competent to judge. You are making it hard by constantly varying what you say.

  6. #276
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    09-30-13 @ 04:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    698

    Re: Freedom of Religion vs the Mandate to Evolve [W 65]

    Quote Originally Posted by lolabird View Post
    reeatedly? Cildren?
    If bullying is happening in a classroom, are you suggesting that the teacher should not espouse tolerance, but rather send the children home to talk with their parents; some of whom may be bullies themselves?
    Excuse the fact that my typing skills sometimes leave something to be desired.

    If there is a problem with discipline or behavior in the classroom, obviously the teacher should intervene. I have never said otherwise. I'm only saying it is not the job of school to teach morals or to preach to the students.

  7. #277
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    01-03-14 @ 10:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    642

    Re: Freedom of Religion vs the Mandate to Evolve [W 65]

    Quote Originally Posted by Artevelde View Post
    Excuse the fact that my typing skills sometimes leave something to be desired.

    If there is a problem with discipline or behavior in the classroom, obviously the teacher should intervene. I have never said otherwise. I'm only saying it is not the job of school to teach morals or to preach to the students.
    The knowledge students learn from mathematics, science, history and languages will amount to nothing if schools do not teach them moral values and respect for the rights of others as well.

    Moral values, or ethics and respect for others, should be a major subject from kindergarten up to the college level.

    Moral values involve the principles of knowing right from wrong, while respect for the rights of others is self-explanatory.

  8. #278
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    09-30-13 @ 04:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    698

    Re: Freedom of Religion vs the Mandate to Evolve [W 65]

    Quote Originally Posted by lolabird View Post
    The knowledge students learn from mathematics, science, history and languages will amount to nothing if schools do not teach them moral values and respect for the rights of others as well.

    Moral values, or ethics and respect for others, should be a major subject from kindergarten up to the college level.

    Moral values involve the principles of knowing right from wrong, while respect for the rights of others is self-explanatory.
    So you believe in state indoctrination and in the suppression of dissenting opinions. Your choice, not mine.

  9. #279
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    01-03-14 @ 10:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    642

    Re: Freedom of Religion vs the Mandate to Evolve [W 65]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    It's strength in numbers, lola. Why are you trying to isolate incidences of atheism? The above article + Richard Dawkins + the other top 24 atheists + you and Ikara running interference + God knows what else I have to dig up = A growing problem.
    Do all atheists think alike?

  10. #280
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    01-03-14 @ 10:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    642

    Re: Freedom of Religion vs the Mandate to Evolve [W 65]

    Quote Originally Posted by Artevelde View Post
    So you believe in state indoctrination and in the suppression of dissenting opinions. Your choice, not mine.
    Good grief, are you for real?
    Schools provide problem solving processes for helping to make choices. thinking in a way that is clear and straight, not distorted; seeing many possibilities in a situation—shades of gray instead of black and white; the ability to reflect on our experience and to learn from it; and the ability to use a framework to make decisions when we genuinely don't know what to do in a hard case.
    I would ask if you ever had a teacher who served as a positive role model, but I'm sure you simply looked in the mirror.

Page 28 of 94 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •