View Poll Results: Should the state recognize marriage at all?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    24 52.17%
  • No

    20 43.48%
  • Maybe

    0 0%
  • Other

    2 4.35%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 74

Thread: Should the state recognize marriage at all?

  1. #31
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,202

    Re: Should the state recognize marriage at all?

    I think that its better if we didn't recognize marriage. It serves no purpose. All benefits are unnecessary, breaking the contract is difficult normally involving legal battles. I think the only reason it exists still is because it is such a cash cow for divorce lawyers.

  2. #32
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Should the state recognize marriage at all?

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    I think that its better if we didn't recognize marriage. It serves no purpose. All benefits are unnecessary, breaking the contract is difficult normally involving legal battles. I think the only reason it exists still is because it is such a cash cow for divorce lawyers.
    You're forgetting the hay many a politician has made on the subject.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  3. #33
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Should the state recognize marriage at all?

    The only reason and way the state should acknowledge the institution of marriage is to allow married couples with children to claim children and spouses who are not working due to being primary care givers as dependents for tax purposes. If no children are involved and both are working or can work, then they should get taxed at the same rate as single people. Employers should only be compelled, if at all, to provide healthcare and other benefits only when there is someone truly dependent, i.e., unable to work in the family.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  4. #34
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Should the state recognize marriage at all?

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    The only reason and way the state should acknowledge the institution of marriage is to allow married couples with children to claim children and spouses who are not working due to being primary care givers as dependents for tax purposes. If no children are involved and both are working or can work, then they should get taxed at the same rate as single people. Employers should only be compelled, if at all, to provide healthcare and other benefits only when there is someone truly dependent, i.e., unable to work in the family.
    Why should married couples with kids receive a tax benefit not offered to unmarried couples with kids, or couples with kids who have a contractually defined relationshp?
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  5. #35
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Should the state recognize marriage at all?

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    Why should married couples with kids receive a tax benefit not offered to unmarried couples with kids, or couples with kids who have a contractually defined relationshp?
    There is should be no real tax benefit other than the number of dependents that can be claimed. If not married, then only one of the two biological parents should be able to claim dependent children and no one claims "spouse" as a dependent.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  6. #36
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Should the state recognize marriage at all?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    When property or children are involved, or if there is a divorce or requirements of division, the state only needs to get involved to enforce the private marriage contracts, like any other contract. No need for an official government issued license.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  7. #37
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Should the state recognize marriage at all?

    This nonsense is all just a religious power grab. There has never been a monopoly of marriage or its customs by any culture, religion, or whatever. Theism, spirituality, superstition... none of these can lay claim to the ideas of marriage. Even humans can't claim a monopoly on it. Plenty of other species pair off exactly the same way we do. And they have rules about it, too. This whole "get government out of marriage" BS is just the religious in this country whining about no longer getting special treatment. Oh the suffering of mere equality.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  8. #38
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Should the state recognize marriage at all?

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    There is should be no real tax benefit other than the number of dependents that can be claimed. If not married, then only one of the two biological parents should be able to claim dependent children and no one claims "spouse" as a dependent.
    Why should married couples with kids receive a tax benefit not offered to unmarried couples with kids, or couples with kids who have a contractually defined relationshp?
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  9. #39
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Should the state recognize marriage at all?

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    Why should married couples with kids receive a tax benefit not offered to unmarried couples with kids, or couples with kids who have a contractually defined relationshp [sic]?
    It is very clearly in the best interests of the children,and of society as a whole, that the children be part of a family that is built on the marriage between their mother and their father; with both parents being subject to being held legally responsible for each other and for their children. Marriage fulfills this purpose. It is the duty of government to promote those measures designed to maintain and strengthen the family as the fundamental unit of society. This certainly includes recognizing the importance of marriage as the foundation of family, and giving suitable recognition and support to the essential role that marriage plays in a stable society. Certainly, it is fully in accordance with these principles that tax benefits be structured to give preference to a family based on a marriage between a man and a woman over a situation in which one woman has a dozen different kids by a dozen different deadbeat baby daddies.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  10. #40
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Should the state recognize marriage at all?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    It is very clearly in the best interests of the children,and of society as a whole, that the children be part of a family that is built on the marriage between their mother and their father; with both parents being subject to being held legally responsible for each other and for their children. Marriage fulfills this purpose. It is the duty of government to promote those measures designed to maintain and strengthen the family as the fundamental unit of society. This certainly includes recognizing the importance of marriage as the foundation of family, and giving suitable recognition and support to the essential role that marriage plays in a stable society. Certainly, it is fully in accordance with these principles that tax benefits be structured to give preference to a family based on a marriage between a man and a woman over a situation in which one woman has a dozen different kids by a dozen different deadbeat baby daddies.
    There is a significant difference between promoting stable families and promoting married families, as evidenced by the divorce rate. Personally, I think it would be far easier to establish the kind of relationship upon which a stable family can be founded if one were to do so without a cookie-cutter approach.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •