View Poll Results: Is it the proper role of government to pass laws to protect you from yourself?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, if the government passed laws to protect me from myself, it then protects everyone else too.

    4 5.48%
  • No, people are responsible for the consequences of their own actions.

    55 75.34%
  • IDK/Other

    14 19.18%
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 170

Thread: Do you believe in personal freedom and responsibility?

  1. #11
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,588

    Re: Do you believe in personal freedom and responsibility?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
    No it's not. People make the decision to smoke, to eat non healthy food, to not exercise, to skydive, etc. The outcome of their decisions is their responsibility.
    I get that, but he was talking more about insurance aspects. His statement was essentially 'why should I have to pay for their health care?'. The fact is, when you have insurance, you're paying for people who make a LOT of ****ty decisions. For instance, what do you think is worse from a healthcare perspective: smoking weed, or eating mcdonalds every day?
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  2. #12
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you believe in personal freedom and responsibility?

    What strikes me is how "Government" has replaced "God" to so many people. If someone is doing something "illegal," most people convert that to also acting immorally, exclaiming "That's illegal!"

    Essentially everyone commits dozens of crimes a day, maybe hundreds a week. So it really isn't about what is illegal to people because they will claim the illegal stuff they do is petty - even if felonies - while what another person does that they don't like or do is "Illegal!"

    Drive down any road and watch any car for a few minutes. 99% of them will commit numerous misdemeanors (traffic offenses are criminal misdemeanors). Or anyone working in their yard. 1 in 10 at gas stations filling up commit a major felony. Etc.

  3. #13
    Sage
    Arbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    07-12-16 @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you believe in personal freedom and responsibility?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    I get that, but he was talking more about insurance aspects. His statement was essentially 'why should I have to pay for their health care?'. The fact is, when you have insurance, you're paying for people who make a LOT of ****ty decisions. For instance, what do you think is worse from a healthcare perspective: smoking weed, or eating mcdonalds every day?
    Get government out of health care and make people responsible for their own care and we can stop paying for those that are irresponsible.
    "nah i think the way cons want to turn this into a political issue is funny though" - Philly Boss

  4. #14
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,588

    Re: Do you believe in personal freedom and responsibility?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
    Get government out of health care and make people responsible for their own care and we can stop paying for those that are irresponsible.
    I agree the government should be out of it, however, you'll still be paying for others no matter what insurance plan you have. If there was a "I only eat broccoli and rice cakes and run 10 miles every day" health insurance plan, you'd be right. That however doesn't exist, so you'll be doing it anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  5. #15
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you believe in personal freedom and responsibility?

    For example, ever have been filling up and it doesn't cut off right and a little bit of gas runs down your car and some on the ground. Did you then drive off?

    OMG! That's ILLEGAL! YOU committed a hazardous materials spill. Even if not deliberate and you not liable, YOU DID NOT REPORT THE HAZARDOUS MATERIALS SPILL YOU CAUSED! FELONY! FELONY!

    And then I get to rage that you grotesquely endangered the lives of others. A bus of children with an electrical short could pull up, and that HAZARDOUS MATERIALS SPILL YOU DID AND DIDN'T REPORT could burn every innocent little child on that bus to death - a horrible way to die! You evil bastard engaging in ILLEGAL dangerous actions without giving a damn about anyone but yourself!

    And if I don't drive a car, then I get to rage at you and everyone else in cars as pure evil, willing to burn little children alive, destroy the land, water and air... at least you - because of your ILLEGAL activities!

  6. #16
    Sage
    Arbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    07-12-16 @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you believe in personal freedom and responsibility?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    I agree the government should be out of it, however, you'll still be paying for others no matter what insurance plan you have. If there was a "I only eat broccoli and rice cakes and run 10 miles every day" health insurance plan, you'd be right. That however doesn't exist, so you'll be doing it anyway.
    But if you get government out, and let the free market work, let companies work across state lines, you will probably get far more choice than what you have now. It may not be the exact plan you quote, but I bet it would be closer than the generics they plan to force down everyones throat.
    "nah i think the way cons want to turn this into a political issue is funny though" - Philly Boss

  7. #17
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,588

    Re: Do you believe in personal freedom and responsibility?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
    But if you get government out, and let the free market work, let companies work across state lines, you will probably get far more choice than what you have now. It may not be the exact plan you quote, but I bet it would be closer than the generics they plan to force down everyones throat.
    I dont' really understand what you're trying to accomplish here. I already agree the government should be out of health care. However, the person I initially replied to implied he doesn't want to pay for someone else's ****ty health decisions. I then pointed out that this was already the case, you already pay for other people's ****ty health decisions in your insurance premium.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  8. #18
    Sage
    Arbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    07-12-16 @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you believe in personal freedom and responsibility?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    I dont' really understand what you're trying to accomplish here. I already agree the government should be out of health care. However, the person I initially replied to implied he doesn't want to pay for someone else's ****ty health decisions. I then pointed out that this was already the case, you already pay for other people's ****ty health decisions in your insurance premium.
    You said we pay for others. If we get government out, more options will become available, options that allow you to pay for you, not for you and everyone else.
    "nah i think the way cons want to turn this into a political issue is funny though" - Philly Boss

  9. #19
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,588

    Re: Do you believe in personal freedom and responsibility?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
    You said we pay for others. If we get government out, more options will become available, options that allow you to pay for you, not for you and everyone else.
    So magical non-insurance options will appear? And yes, I said when you have insurance, you are currently paying for others. Would you like to provide a rebuttal with facts that this isn't the case?
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  10. #20
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,804

    Re: Do you believe in personal freedom and responsibility?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    I can agree, but then it gets really messy. What about the guy who ate McDonalds more than he should have? Should we all be paying for his triple bypass?

    We all make ****ty decisions, often regularly. Where to draw the line between "group share" and "you're on your own, haas", is a really complicated subject.

    Either way, the government shouldn't be involved.
    It's not complicated at all. If you caused your own problem, you pay for the solution or you drop dead. Your fault, your problem. It cleans out the gene pool.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •