View Poll Results: Weiner for mayor of your city?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sure

    8 12.12%
  • No

    55 83.33%
  • Maybe

    3 4.55%
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 176

Thread: Weiner for mayor of your city?

  1. #61
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,986

    Re: Weiner for mayor of your city?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    You know, the attempts to deal with the scandal in the media and with his constituents.
    Right...the scandal about his personal sex life. We can continue this forever, and you'll never be right.

    No, there is a very clear public element to it.
    Which revolved solely around his personal life. As a former Congressman, I'm sure he made many public appearances, dealt with many public issues. Those issues would have work related, and it is on those issues for which he should be judged. Judging him based on issues of his personal sex life is ridiculous.

    Sending random women cock pics isn't simply sex, nor is it simply sexting.
    But it's still sex related. It still comes back to the issue of sex.

    You mean the response he addressed to the Public and that was presented in the public sphere?
    I mean the response to the situation about his personal sex life, yes. No matter how often you use the word "public" it'll never change the fact we're talking about his private life.

    Well, maybe you'll need to learn to live with the fact you are wrong?
    I'll be wrong the moment the situation you're referring to was not about his private sex life. And since it will never not have been, I'll never be wrong.

    I just outlined how his handling of the situation speaks to his ability to perform his job.
    What situation? The situation surrounding his private sex life? Got it.

  2. #62
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Weiner for mayor of your city?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    Right...the scandal about his personal sex life. We can continue this forever, and you'll never be right.
    So his attempts to deal with something publicly prove that there was no public element to what we are discussing?

    Which revolved solely around his personal life. As a former Congressman, I'm sure he made many public appearances, dealt with many public issues. Those issues would have work related, and it is on those issues for which he should be judged. Judging him based on issues of his personal sex life is ridiculous.
    We just covered how I am not judging him on his personal sex life, but how he publicly handles a scandal. And his publicly handling of this scandal raised clearly legitimate questions about his competency and integrity.

    You are free to ignore that and sell yourself on some idea that this only concerns his sex life, but there is a clear public element to this that directly related to his ability to effectively govern

    But it's still sex related. It still comes back to the issue of sex.
    First, your original standard was we were discussing his "personal" sex life and that it had no public element to it (both shown to be false). Second, going by your standard, someone flashing random people would be "just an issue of one's private sex life"

    I mean the response to the situation about his personal sex life, yes. No matter how often you use the word "public" it'll never change the fact we're talking about his private life.
    He was sending random women cock picks through a public medium. There is nothing personal about that

  3. #63
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Weiner for mayor of your city?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    How well he performs his job. Does he attempt to follow through on his promises. Is he active or just collecting a paycheck. Etc.
    And yet integrity means nothing concerning a position of trust?

    The fact is a person's sexual desires have nothing to do with their ability to do their job. Besides that, we don't know what kind of a relationship he has with his wife. Maybe they are only married for political reasons. Maybe they have an open marriage and she doesn't care he's been doing these things. Maybe she wants them to be a dedicated couple and was horrified and embarrassed that he was doing these things. We don't know. But, more importantly, it's irrelevant to what kind of performance he has on the job.
    It doesn't really have anything to do with his "sexual desires" to me. It's his integrity that's in question. If he can't be honest with, and uphold his promises to, his wife...why would he be honest to you?
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  4. #64
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,986

    Re: Weiner for mayor of your city?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    And yet integrity means nothing concerning a position of trust?
    Of course integrity does. But integrity is far more than whether or not someone has sent naked pictures of themselves.

    If he can't be honest with, and uphold his promises to, his wife...why would he be honest to you?
    First of all, as I've mentioned, you don't know what his relationship with his wife is like. But, even if we assume it's the traditional relationship, it still has nothing to do with his job. If a man rode a motorcycle without a helmet in his free time, would you say he's unfit for public service because of his reckless disregard for safety? If a man moved to a new house and broke his rental release to do so, would you say he's unfit to hold public office because he's not a man of his word?

    Simply focusing in on one aspect of a person, especially an aspect unrelated to his job, to determine if he's qualified for a job is silly. I'm not saying Weiner is qualified or that I'd vote for him, I'm simply saying that sending pictures of his genitals to people would not keep me from voting for him.

  5. #65
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    01-03-14 @ 10:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    642

    Re: Weiner for mayor of your city?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    Of course integrity does. But integrity is far more than whether or not someone has sent naked pictures of themselves.

    First of all, as I've mentioned, you don't know what his relationship with his wife is like. But, even if we assume it's the traditional relationship, it still has nothing to do with his job. If a man rode a motorcycle without a helmet in his free time, would you say he's unfit for public service because of his reckless disregard for safety? If a man moved to a new house and broke his rental release to do so, would you say he's unfit to hold public office because he's not a man of his word?

    Simply focusing in on one aspect of a person, especially an aspect unrelated to his job, to determine if he's qualified for a job is silly. I'm not saying Weiner is qualified or that I'd vote for him, I'm simply saying that sending pictures of his genitals to people would not keep me from voting for him.
    Take a good look at the picture and then say it wouldn't keep you from voting for him.
    Carlos has a responsibility first and foremost to his family, and right now most everyone has seen his private parts, and they are making jokes about him. Someone, please think about his son.

  6. #66
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,986

    Re: Weiner for mayor of your city?

    Quote Originally Posted by lolabird View Post
    Take a good look at the picture and then say it wouldn't keep you from voting for him.
    Why would looking at his penis have anything to do with anything?
    Carlos has a responsibility first and foremost to his family, and right now most everyone has seen his private parts, and they are making jokes about him.
    People making jokes about him means he cannot do his job well?

  7. #67
    Advisor polisciguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    10-30-17 @ 02:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    396

    Re: Weiner for mayor of your city?

    I voted sure because the town I live in is quite small (about 1000 people). He'd run out of people to which to show his junk in no time.

  8. #68
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    01-03-14 @ 10:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    642

    Re: Weiner for mayor of your city?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    Why would looking at his penis have anything to do with anything?
    People making jokes about him means he cannot do his job well?
    I could say a lot but I won't.
    Having the world see his junk doesn't say much for him, now does it?
    People making jokes about him means he doesn't make good decisions or good choices.

  9. #69
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,986

    Re: Weiner for mayor of your city?

    Quote Originally Posted by lolabird View Post
    I could say a lot but I won't.
    Having the world see his junk doesn't say much for him, now does it?
    I literally have no idea what you're trying to get at. I get the feeling you believe you're making a point, but all I can see is that you're mentioning something that roughly half the country has between their legs.
    People making jokes about him means he doesn't make good decisions or good choices.
    I have absolutely no idea how you figure that.

  10. #70
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Weiner for mayor of your city?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    Of course integrity does. But integrity is far more than whether or not someone has sent naked pictures of themselves.
    Right, like misleading the public, how you treat your wife and child, willingness to drag your family through a public scandel, sending random people offensive images, being dumb enough to do so publicly, etc, etc, etc.

    First of all, as I've mentioned, you don't know what his relationship with his wife is like.
    No, but we can all recognize that dragging her through a public scandal, repeatedly, is hardly being respectful.

    But, even if we assume it's the traditional relationship, it still has nothing to do with his job. If a man rode a motorcycle without a helmet in his free time
    Right, but if he repeatedly lied about issues surrounding "not wearing a helmet', in a laughingly false manner, we can surmise that 1) he has integrity issues and b) is rather incompetent


    would you say he's unfit for public service because of his reckless disregard for safety?
    Well, yes, the man would be trusted with numerous key decisions daily, and I would hope that such decisions were made with a focus on careful examination and safety. Though if simply not wearing a helmet rises to that level, is certainly open for debate. And this comparison seems rather shaky, since you are comparing a personal decision to an event that has elements that go well beyond that


    If a man moved to a new house and broke his rental release to do so, would you say he's unfit to hold public office because he's not a man of his word?
    Dependes on the circumstances. Was this rental agreement broken in a manner that would call into question his integrity as both private citizen and public official, and would he attempt to handle the situation in a laughingly incompetent manner? If the answer to these questions is "yes" like the scandal under question, then yes, it would put his ability to govern in question


    Simply focusing in on one aspect of a person, especially an aspect unrelated to his job
    Again, you can freely ignore how this speaks to his ability to govern, but the points countering this have already been well detailed.


    I'm not saying Weiner is qualified or that I'd vote for him, I'm simply saying that sending pictures of his genitals to people would not keep me from voting for him.
    Right, but we are discussing him sending random women pictures on a public medium, his said competency in handling such, and how he has pulled into question his integrety as an individual and public figure

    So this was just another false equivocation on your end

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •