View Poll Results: What did you think of obama's Zimmerman speech

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Horrible divisive speech

    25 86.21%
  • Great speech, I loved it

    4 13.79%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 77

Thread: Obama's Zimmerman speech

  1. #61
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,680
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Obama's Zimmerman speech

    Obama has proven that whites are presumed racist until proven guilty...even if they are latino, but kind of look a little white.

    The biggest atrocity here is that the POTUS is presuming guilt despite the lack of evidence.
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  2. #62
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,359

    Re: Obama's Zimmerman speech

    Did he call Z a "typical white person"?

  3. #63
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,566

    Re: Obama's Zimmerman speech

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    That is one cheap way to get a Like, Mr. Sawyer.



    I don't actually disagree with a lot of what you've said . . . but I still think Obama's speech was just fine. I think it was an attempt to further calm the waters, and I think it did that.
    I don't. There is no rational reason for Martin to have violently attacked Zimmerman. Obama NEVER mentioned that "distrubing" part of the story, clearly seen by witnesses and backed up by physical evidence during the trial. It was not a theory or rumor that Martin was seriously beating Zimmerman. In fact, that was the sole basis for the not guilty verdict - self defense.

    Obama simply said that Martin "could have been me" yet NEVER said that he would not have put a seroius ass whooping on Zimmerman as Martin did - implying, at least to me, that he though Martin reacted rationally in doing so.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  4. #64
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    384

    Re: Obama's Zimmerman speech

    It's sobering when you understand that the most powerful man in the most powerful nation on earth, was looked at like a threat on the street not too long ago.

  5. #65
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,680
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Obama's Zimmerman speech

    Quote Originally Posted by ToastyOats View Post
    It's sobering when you understand that the most powerful man in the most powerful nation on earth, was looked at like a threat on the street not too long ago.
    Ya. He wasn't a real threat until he got into office.
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  6. #66
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    384

    Re: Obama's Zimmerman speech

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    Ya. He wasn't a real threat until he got into office.
    I'll admit I kinda walked right into that one, or is that the conservative response is a bit homogenized and predictable?

  7. #67
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Obama's Zimmerman speech

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    Yeah?...he's just the president for Gods sake and this is just a situation that has inspired marches across the country, WTH
    That he helped spark because he can't mind his own business. This case was not the business of the President to comment on publically.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  8. #68
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Obama's Zimmerman speech

    I'll just point out some of the elements of his statement that I found to be entirely full of crap:

    You know, when Trayvon Martin was first shot I said that this could have been my son. Another way of saying that is Trayvon Martin could have been me 35 years ago.
    Well, it couldn't have been your son because he would have the full protection of the US Secret Service if you had one. If one of your kids got shot, you'd declare it an act of terrorism, and the streets would run red with blood, like they do in Pakistan when you send your drones out to bomb the **** out of little brown people.

    Now, this isn’t to say that the African American community is naïve about the fact that African American young men are disproportionately involved in the criminal justice system; that they’re disproportionately both victims and perpetrators of violence. It’s not to make excuses for that fact — although black folks do interpret the reasons for that in a historical context. They understand that some of the violence that takes place in poor black neighborhoods around the country is born out of a very violent past in this country, and that the poverty and dysfunction that we see in those communities can be traced to a very difficult history.
    Says the Harvard educated guy who was born to a rich family, and doesn't know the first thing about the "poverty and dysfunction" of the poor black community.

    Now, the question for me at least, and I think for a lot of folks, is where do we take this? How do we learn some lessons from this and move in a positive direction?
    First off, let's take a moment to realize that Zimmerman isn't white. That would take a lot of confusion out of the topic. second, realize what's good for the goose is good for the gander. You people call it a miscarriage of justice, I think that's funny, because the same people didn't give a damn that OJ Simpson got away with murdering his ex wife, and her jewish boyfriend. I don't recall any statements made by any president about how this effects the jewish community, and their deep rooted fears based on a violent history against them, or how this effects the lives of battered women who come from abusive homes and relationships, which is another long standing tradition the world over.

    Number one, precisely because law enforcement is often determined at the state and local level, I think it would be productive for the Justice Department, governors, mayors to work with law enforcement about training at the state and local levels in order to reduce the kind of mistrust in the system that sometimes currently exists.
    Why? Crime comes out of poor black communities, not because they're black, but because they're poor (something you, Mr. President, don't know **** about). It doesn't help that they view selling drugs as a way to "get out the ghetto", because they haven't learned any other way. The government could change this attitude through the schools, local government could get involved by helping these people find jobs. Even open up government positions for them, but no, that's too hard. Let's just keep blaming the ****ing cops because they're an easy target that everyone loves to hate. That's just ****ing brimming with integrity and brilliance Mr. President.

    Along the same lines, I think it would be useful for us to examine some state and local laws to see if it — if they are designed in such a way that they may encourage the kinds of altercations and confrontations and tragedies that we saw in the Florida case, rather than diffuse potential altercations.
    Encourage? The only people encouraging these kinds of altercations are the government suits who keep these people in a state of poverty, giving them enough fish to survive the day, but never teaching them how to go out and catch the ****ing fish. You're extremely successful Mr Obama, maybe you care to relay how you did it to these people you claim to care about so deeply. Help them out with knowledge, instead of manipulation.

    I’m not naive about the prospects of some grand, new federal program. I’m not sure that that’s what we’re talking about here
    Everybody knows that's what you're talking about, and everybody knows that's the direction you're going to try to take this.

    And then, finally, I think it’s going to be important for all of us to do some soul-searching. There has been talk about should we convene a conversation on race.
    This sounds familiar...

    And those of us in authority should be doing everything we can to encourage the better angels of our nature, as opposed to using these episodes to heighten divisions.
    This gets the lolwut pear:



    Because this is one huge divisive turd. Here's the full text of this speech.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  9. #69
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Obama's Zimmerman speech

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    That he helped spark because he can't mind his own business. This case was not the business of the President to comment on publically.
    He did help spark anything, you have your head in the sand. These issues were already there and acknowledging them was his responsibility, it was indeed his business.

  10. #70
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Obama's Zimmerman speech

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    It was terrible, and he needs to stay out of it!
    ... I think the chief executive of the United States is endowed with the right to comment on the nation's cultural and social issues at his leisure and any terms he likes.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •