View Poll Results: Has the election of a black POTUS led to more, no or less racsim?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Having a black President has caused America to be more rasict

    15 36.59%
  • Having a black President has caused America to be less rasict

    1 2.44%
  • Having a black President has exposed racism that was not as apparent prior to his election

    25 60.98%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 65

Thread: Has the election of a black POTUS led to more, no or less racsim in America?

  1. #41
    Student Old English's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Last Seen
    03-10-14 @ 07:36 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    276

    Re: Has the election of a black POTUS led to more, no or less racsim in America?

    Apparently, in this country people are judged by the color of their skin. Barack Obama is labeled as 'black' because that's the color of his skin; however, the term 'black' in and of itself carries connotations, whether negative or positive, that also refer to the culture of the African American community. The truth is that Barack Obama is half-white so why is it that everyone refers to him as black? Is it because America is filled with people that tend to group other people by the color of their skin?

  2. #42
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Has the election of a black POTUS led to more, no or less racsim in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Old English View Post
    Apparently, in this country people are judged by the color of their skin. Barack Obama is labeled as 'black' because that's the color of his skin; however, the term 'black' in and of itself carries connotations, whether negative or positive, that also refer to the culture of the African American community. The truth is that Barack Obama is half-white so why is it that everyone refers to him as black? Is it because America is filled with people that tend to group other people by the color of their skin?
    I refer to him as black because that is how he refers to himself as.

    And no, the term "black" does not carry ANY connotations. The connotations spring entirely from the person using it and the person interpreting it.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  3. #43
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,613

    Re: Has the election of a black POTUS led to more, no or less racsim in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    One thing is people getting sick of the race card being played even when top government officials are black. In particular, these officials like Obama and Holder are adding fuel to the fire with BS they say.
    sound point



  4. #44
    Guru
    soot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    04-25-17 @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,308

    Re: Has the election of a black POTUS led to more, no or less racsim in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    We have a President and his entire staff that are incessant race-baiters. No, he and his administration have not been good for race relations. For one, he has essentially endorsed racism among African-Americans against others.
    Yeah, I don't see it.

    Again, I've got black friends and coworkers, and I'm in Newark, NJ (52% Black/African American - easily the largest demographic) every working day of the year and other than traffic being dicked up for a couple days last week following the Zimmerman verdict I've neither been the target/victim of, nor even in any way inconvenienced by, any kind of "racial" incident. And I haven't heard of or from anyone who has.

    You'd think that if the President and his administration were effectively sowing the seeds of racial discord then one of the "blackest" cities in America (16th largest as a function of % of population) would have seen an increase in racisim at least to the degree that I've have heard tell of it, even if I hadn't experienced it myself.

    As with many things, I think this "the President is a race baiter" nonsense is really just an illusion invented by the far-right-wing idiotsphere.

    Truth is, given his position as the "first Black president", President Obama has said shockingly little about race and what little he's said has been pretty muasured.

  5. #45
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:17 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,403

    Re: Has the election of a black POTUS led to more, no or less racsim in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by soot View Post
    Yeah, I don't see it.

    Again, I've got black friends and coworkers, and I'm in Newark, NJ (52% Black/African American - easily the largest demographic) every working day of the year and other than traffic being dicked up for a couple days last week following the Zimmerman verdict I've neither been the target/victim of, nor even in any way inconvenienced by, any kind of "racial" incident. And I haven't heard of or from anyone who has.

    You'd think that if the President and his administration were effectively sowing the seeds of racial discord then one of the "blackest" cities in America (16th largest as a function of % of population) would have seen an increase in racisim at least to the degree that I've have heard tell of it, even if I hadn't experienced it myself.

    As with many things, I think this "the President is a race baiter" nonsense is really just an illusion invented by the far-right-wing idiotsphere.

    Truth is, given his position as the "first Black president", President Obama has said shockingly little about race and what little he's said has been pretty muasured.
    Holder has been more of a problem racially than Obama has.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #46
    Guru

    cAPSLOCK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dallas Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,922
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Has the election of a black POTUS led to more, no or less racsim in America?

    Having a black President has caused America to be more rasict
    Flawed poll.

    Obama's race hasn't had much effect of the climate of race relations in our culture.

    His politics and agenda most certainly have.

    That difference is actually quite important to the whole point.

  7. #47
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:43 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,781

    Re: Has the election of a black POTUS led to more, no or less racsim in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by cAPSLOCK View Post
    Flawed poll.

    Obama's race hasn't had much effect of the climate of race relations in our culture.

    His politics and agenda most certainly have.

    The difference is there is actually quite important to the whole point.
    I have no doubt that for some - you are correct. I also have no doubt for others, the race of the president is a major driver of their hatred for him. If one is going to look at THE WHOLE POINT - to use your phrase - lets look at all of it. To pretend that there is not some hatred of Obama because of his race is to play ostrich.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  8. #48
    Guru

    cAPSLOCK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dallas Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,922
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Has the election of a black POTUS led to more, no or less racsim in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I have no doubt that for some - you are correct. I also have no doubt for others, the race of the president is a major driver of their hatred for him. If one is going to look at THE WHOLE POINT - to use your phrase - lets look at all of it.
    Like who?

  9. #49
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:43 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,781

    Re: Has the election of a black POTUS led to more, no or less racsim in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by cAPSLOCK View Post
    Like who?
    I distinctly remember back ot the original campaign with all the racist signs - Obama as a voodoo witch doctor - Obama as a monkey - Obama as some troglodyte - that were at GOP rallies. And it has not gone away. Some of the tea party is fueled by this as well.

    But lets be serious here - are you actually taking the position that there is NO opposition to Obama based on racial animosity? Is that your position?

    just google - Obama nigger - and you will get over 2 million results including some very vile stuff. To deny its existence is to take a step or two into the twilight zone.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #50
    Guru

    cAPSLOCK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dallas Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,922
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Has the election of a black POTUS led to more, no or less racsim in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I distinctly remember back ot the original campaign with all the racist signs - Obama as a voodoo witch doctor - Obama as a monkey - Obama as some troglodyte - that were at GOP rallies. And it has not gone away. Some of the tea party is fueled by this as well.

    But lets be serious here - are you actually taking the position that there is NO opposition to Obama based on racial animosity? Is that your position?

    just google - Obama nigger - and you will get over 2 million results including some very vile stuff. To deny its existence is to take a step or two into the twilight zone.
    No. I will not google that. But i bet "bush monkey" yields a multitude as well.

    Presidents have for as long as i can remember have had to withstand disrespectful treatment from idiots. Why should Obamas mockery be treated as special or different? Because of race?

    As I often see you do, you have tried to change my position:
    Obama's race hasn't had much effect of the climate of race relations in our culture. His politics and agenda most certainly have.
    Into
    there is NO opposition to Obama based on racial animosity
    and i will not engage you when you twist my position into a flimsy strawman.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •