View Poll Results: Has the election of a black POTUS led to more, no or less racsim?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Having a black President has caused America to be more rasict

    15 36.59%
  • Having a black President has caused America to be less rasict

    1 2.44%
  • Having a black President has exposed racism that was not as apparent prior to his election

    25 60.98%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 65

Thread: Has the election of a black POTUS led to more, no or less racsim in America?

  1. #31
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    01-03-14 @ 10:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    642

    Re: Has the election of a black POTUS led to more, no or less racsim in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    There's no doubt that it's increased, basically due to the fact that he was essentially elected by white race apologists. That is, in and of itself, racist.
    You sound racist!

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Has the election of a black POTUS led to more, no or less racsim in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by lolabird View Post
    You sound racist!
    I'm sure that, to racists, I do sound racist.

  3. #33
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Has the election of a black POTUS led to more, no or less racsim in America?

    The correct poll answer was not included.

    The election of a black President indicates that things have changed for the better in a relative sense over the last 50 years, as this NEVER would have happened as recent as 30 years ago, but the election in and of itself made no significant change in racism today.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #34
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Has the election of a black POTUS led to more, no or less racsim in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    Back in 2008 a popular political pundit cautioned that if Barack Obama were to be elected President, unlike claims it would lead to a less racially divided country, it would in fact lead to more racism.

    At the time, I disagreed. I felt if Obama were to be elected, people with racial prejudices against blacks would see that blacks aren't that different than anyone else, are capable of leadership and posses the same intellectual faculties as anyone else all leading to a more harmonious racially diverse America less incumbered by fears, stereotypes and discrimination.

    However, after hearing the pundit's assertions, I began to accept the idea that there was an outside chance we could see more racism but not because it didn't exist prior to the election of a black President but rather deep racist attitudes already existed but were suppressed and the election of a black President might bring those suppressed racist attitudes to the surface. At the time I thought even that would be a good thing since thinking any racist attitudes would be limited to speech, if its out in the open, we can discuss it, deal with it and help foster better understanding.

    With the benefit of hindsight, what do you think? I for one, had no idea just how racist some of the people I considered friends and political allies actually are.
    We've maintained the status quo.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #35
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Has the election of a black POTUS led to more, no or less racsim in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    One thing is people getting sick of the race card being played even when top government officials are black. In particular, these officials like Obama and Holder are adding fuel to the fire with BS they say.
    My sentiments exactly my friend.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  6. #36
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,067

    Re: Has the election of a black POTUS led to more, no or less racsim in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    There's no doubt that it's increased, basically due to the fact that he was essentially elected by white race apologists. That is, in and of itself, racist.
    ...and, of course, one could argue that "in and of itself" is a racist comment... as perhaps the alternative to that statement was true: he was elected by people that believed he was the best candidate. I do believe that to be the case.

    While I will acknowledge that people vote for candidates for inane reasons, including the guy that is the best looking or the guy they think they could have a beer with. Surely some voted for Obama because he was black; but surely still there were also a ton of people that voted against him because he was black.

    Unless you have some study of voter motivations in the 2008 or 2012 elections relating to race, I suggest you stand down as we are only left with your impressions. Suggesting that someone is qualified or unqualified for job (or electable or unelectable) because of race (including stating he was only elected by apologists rather than on merit) is a statement you would expect of a racist.
    Last edited by upsideguy; 07-24-13 at 09:41 PM.

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Has the election of a black POTUS led to more, no or less racsim in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    ...and, of course, one could argue that "in and of itself" is a racist comment... as perhaps the alternative to that statement was true: he was elected by people that believed he was the best candidate. I do believe that to be the case.

    While I will acknowledge that people vote for candidates for inane reasons, including the guy that is the best looking or the guy they think they could have a beer with. Surely some voted for Obama because he was black; but surely still there were also a ton of people that voted against him because he was black.

    Unless you have some study of how the voter motivations around his race, I suggest you stand down lest you appear racist.
    Anyone who thinks that he was the "best candidate" is a whopping moron. He was a junior US Senator who had tennis shoes last longer than his position at the time, and a voting record that makes Ted Kennedy look like Strom Thurmond.

    Understanding the reasoning behind the vote for him is Occam's Razor.

  8. #38
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Has the election of a black POTUS led to more, no or less racsim in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    ...and, of course, one could argue that "in and of itself" is a racist comment... as perhaps the alternative to that statement was true: he was elected by people that believed he was the best candidate. I do believe that to be the case.
    I'm sure you don't discount the idea that people voted against him for being black. So I am unsure why you would assume the inverse is true asnd that some people did vote for him, simply due to being black. In fact, there were times that the Obama campaign even used such to their advantage. After all, the "change" meme is a lot less exciting when you're talking about a white triangulating centrist who's a career politician and having his campaign constructed by a guy who specializes in astroturfing

    Make him black though, and you got change we can believe in~!!!

    Suggesting that someone is qualified or unqualified for job (or electable or unelectable) because of race (including stating he was only elected by apologists rather than on merit) is a statement you would expect of a racist.
    Not that I entirely agree with his sentiment, but how is such racist? Also, Obama's actual record and qualifications were rather sparse, to put it mildly. I mean, we are talking about Potus here, and the guy started his campaign with like a year in national office
    Last edited by Dr. Chuckles; 07-24-13 at 10:12 PM.

  9. #39
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Has the election of a black POTUS led to more, no or less racsim in America?

    I'd say "Having a black President has exposed racism that was not as apparent prior to his election".

    I'm sure many liberals will say that it exposed more racisim that wasn't as apparent among many republicans/conservatives but quite frankly I see the opposite. More racism has been exposed on the liberal side. A lot of them kept saying in Obama's first term that the only reason that republicans/conservatives opposed Obama was because he was black but quite frankly that was and IS a lot of BS. They claimed this everytime (or most of the time) someone opposed Obama's POLICIES. And since then it has only gotten worse, especially with the travon/zimmerman case when Obama claimed that trayvon could have been his son (or later on after the verdict himself). That only fueled the racism even more.

    Now I'm NOT saying that it didn't expose some racism that wasn't apparent on the republican/conservative side because it has. But fact of that matter is that it exposed even more on the liberal side because they hid it far more than republicans/conservatives.

    And to cut some of the posters off that will try to argue what racism "actually is"....don't even bother because I won't respond to it. That arguement is nothing more than BS apologist crap that belongs so far down the sewer that it might as well be in another galaxy. Racism does not depend on who the majority race is or who has all the power. Racism is an individual thing and not a societal thing.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  10. #40
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Has the election of a black POTUS led to more, no or less racsim in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    ...and, of course, one could argue that "in and of itself" is a racist comment... as perhaps the alternative to that statement was true: he was elected by people that believed he was the best candidate. I do believe that to be the case.
    I have no doubt that there were people that elected him because they thought he was the best candidate. I also have no doubt that there were people that elected him because of his race...both by blacks and whites and every other color in between.

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    While I will acknowledge that people vote for candidates for inane reasons, including the guy that is the best looking or the guy they think they could have a beer with. Surely some voted for Obama because he was black; but surely still there were also a ton of people that voted against him because he was black.
    See folks this is what is called "twisting" and "shifting". In this case this is what happens when someone phrases a statement in such a way as to portray two things happening but one happening to a lesser degree and thereby excuseing it while trying to shift the "wrongness" (for lack of a better word atm) to something just as equally wrong by claiming that it happens far more. A common tactic for all sides really.

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Unless you have some study of voter motivations in the 2008 or 2012 elections relating to race, I suggest you stand down as we are only left with your impressions. Suggesting that someone is qualified or unqualified for job (or electable or unelectable) because of race (including stating he was only elected by apologists rather than on merit) is a statement you would expect of a racist.
    Bold: Actually I would disagree with this. Stating that doesn't mean that the person who said it is racist at all. It could be just an observation either because of fact, or personal experiance. Yes it could just be said because of racism...but it can be said for reasons other than racism.

    Underlined: Yes, that would be racism.

    Rest: No such study will ever be done in today's societal atmosphere. If such a study were to be done it would only lead to more charges of racism by both sides no matter how the study turned out or how perfectly it was done by a non-partisan group. Even if every single person in the entire US answered the questions 100% truthfully.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •